PDA

View Full Version : Most cushiony strings

TonyB
09-20-2008, 11:34 AM
Please list what you felt were the most cushiony, the most plush, the most sink-into-the-stringbed-and-never-want-to-leave type string.

You know, the kind where you don't get a lot of pop or zing, but rather where the ball just sort of disappears into your stringbed, sits down for a cup of tea, takes a nap, then drops whereever you want it on the other side of the net.

tennisfreak15347
09-20-2008, 11:48 AM
I'd say FXP, but it has terrible spin. ( although it's a multifilament with polyester fibers) I'm considering Babolat Xcel 2008 for that type of description, but I didnt try it out yet; it's still laying around the house.

ag200boy
09-20-2008, 11:53 AM
gut.

10char

matchmaker
09-20-2008, 12:05 PM
Wilson Sensation. Some have described it as mushy, although I certainly like it in certain racquets.

tennisfreak15347
09-20-2008, 12:34 PM
gut.

10char

he doesn't want too much power in the string.

ag200boy
09-20-2008, 12:36 PM
he never said anything about not wanting power, just said that the type of strings that he is after with superior ball pocketing tend not to have as much power

roger nadal
09-20-2008, 02:07 PM
vs and excel r good too

Valjean
09-20-2008, 03:17 PM
Babolat's Xcel 2008, now.

TonyB
09-20-2008, 03:43 PM
I think I may have found a good option with the "Kevlar at low tensions" thread.

Sounds like just what I'm looking for.

matchmaker
09-20-2008, 04:56 PM
^^
Hmm, are you sure about that? Kevlar strings are the stiffest out of the bunch. Quite the opposite of cushiony.

ag200boy
09-20-2008, 04:57 PM
not necessarily, when at low tension they can get soemn good pocketing once broken in

TonyB
09-20-2008, 05:23 PM
not necessarily, when at low tension they can get soemn good pocketing once broken in

That's my intent.

Looking to string my mids at 40 lb. mains and 44 lb. crosses.

[d]ragon
09-20-2008, 05:25 PM
if you string low enough, the stringbed will lose alot of elasticity so you;ll get both good pocketing and low power

ag200boy
09-20-2008, 05:37 PM
tony, what racquet are you using?

TonyB
09-20-2008, 06:18 PM
For now I'm using a POG mid. But if that doesn't work out, I'll probably go back to my RDS 001 mids.

Both racquets are moderately stiff, but not overly so. I just have a preference for very soft stringbeds. Must be the old serve-n-volleyer in me... can't get enough pocketing.

Il Mostro
09-21-2008, 06:41 AM
Babolat's Xcel 2008, now.

Plus it has exceptional playability, unlike Sensation.

2nd_Serve
09-21-2008, 03:55 PM
Since you don't want to much pop, gut wouldn't be it. But Babolat Xcel should do nicely.

protege
09-21-2008, 05:27 PM
ragon;2728294']if you string low enough, the stringbed will lose alot of elasticity so you;ll get both good pocketing and low power

I was thinking about this as well a few days ago but I was concerned that the tension might be too low to achieve good control.

TonyB
09-26-2008, 04:33 PM
Well, I strung my POG mid with Ashaway Crossfire (Kevlar mains and syn gut crosses) at 40M/45C. Still feels stiff and surprisingly still powerful. I'm not sure what's going on, but after I finished the mains, they were most definitely at 40 lb. The crosses seem to really have stiffened up the stringbed.

Hopefully things will soften up after a few hours, but I'm afraid that I'll end up with another trampoline as the syn gut loses tension.

Still not sure where to go with this. I'm really dying to get a string that has next to zero power and all pocketing. I don't know if that exists or not.

superstition
09-26-2008, 05:05 PM
http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/issues/200609/200609stringselector.html

You can see from this the stiffness of string materials. Kevlar is the stiffest string.

TonyB
09-26-2008, 05:14 PM
http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/issues/200609/200609stringselector.html

You can see from this the stiffness of string materials. Kevlar is the stiffest string.

Yes, I realize that. But that also makes it low-powered, which is what I'm looking for. Of course, I've got it at 40 lb., so that should offset a bit of the stiffness.

Maybe I just need to go much lower, who knows. But the addition of the syn gut in the crosses will really increase the power if I end up going too much lower. Maybe I just need an all-kevlar stringbed, at 35 lb. or something like that.

Anyone ever try that?

EDIT: Just thought of another possible hybrid: Kevlar mains at <40lb. and IsoSpeed Control crosses. Maybe a soft multi would complement the kevlar by bringing some softness to the stringbed without increasing power?

TonyB
09-27-2008, 10:12 AM
Any other thoughts on the lowest-powered strings that pocket the ball well?

superstition
09-27-2008, 10:21 AM
Maybe a less powerful racquet is a better idea.

Fed Kennedy
09-27-2008, 11:39 AM
The POG mid is a jumpy stringbed even at 55

samej07
09-27-2008, 07:22 PM
KGut is extremely soft and cushey. but as for the cost, you might as well buy natural gut.

TonyB
09-27-2008, 07:57 PM
Just got back from a 4-hour doubles session with the POG mid strung with the kevlar/nylon hybrid (Crossfire 16) at 40M/45C.

I take back everything I wrote earlier about it being too powerful. It's just about perfect. I was able to really swing out and still got good control with decent pace. Spin was unreal. My kick serves were dynamite. I think the strings loosened up pretty quickly without any increase in power. All my earlier fears were apparently unfounded.

The raw feel and touch around the net was quite something to experience. I felt as though I could drop the ball anywhere I wanted, which was my original goal. Drop volleys were amazing, as were directional shots. Nothing seemed to go out.

I think I've found what I was looking for. I may even put natural gut in the crosses instead of the synthetic that comes in the Crossfire packs. Or buy a reel of the kevlar itself. I'm really loving this setup, I just hope it doesn't hurt my elbow or anything. Seems to feel all right so far.

TonyB
10-11-2008, 08:55 AM
Update on this:

Well, it turns out that it DOES hurt my elbow. Not tennis elbow, specifically, but something different. It seems like I'm getting excessive shock right in the elbow joint itself. Sort of right where the triceps muscle attaches to the back of the elbow. After an hour or so of heavy hitting, I can start to feel it. Not good.

I've switched back to a different frame strung with natural gut while my elbow heals. Looks like it's doing well so far.

I put some Dunlop Max Comfort in my POG mid now and I'm going to try that when my elbow is 100% again. What a shame, since the Ashaway Crossfire hybrid played so well. Best stringbed I've ever played with. But I guess it's too much for my arm to handle.

:(

phucng_10
10-11-2008, 09:01 AM
How much does it hurt from a rating of 1-10?

TonyB
10-11-2008, 06:41 PM
I suppose if I kept playing with it, it would be a 10. But I only allowed it to get to around a 3-4 before I stopped.

That was about a week ago or so. It's about a 0-1 now.

Played with the POG strung with Max Comfort tonight. Nice combination, but a bit unpredictable. Control isn't quite what I expected.

phucng_10
10-11-2008, 09:00 PM
Hmm, maybe different players have different perspectives about Aramid strings. It didn't really hurt my arm/elbow at all when I first started playing with Kevlar hybrids... :shock:

Fedace
10-11-2008, 09:02 PM
I think Technifibre NRG 2. this is the most control oriented multi i have ever used. it cushions and Pockets the ball for such a long time.

TonyB
10-26-2008, 05:53 PM
Another update on a hybrid I just tried. Forten Sweet 16 mains and Babolat Xcel Premium 16 crosses. Very soft, low power. Decent control. Not a ton of feel or feedback, however. Spin is lacking. But it's very soft and comfy. I think I would like more power and spin out of my strings, though.

Fedace
10-26-2008, 05:55 PM
Another update on a hybrid I just tried. Forten Sweet 16 mains and Babolat Xcel Premium 16 crosses. Very soft, low power. Decent control. Not a ton of feel or feedback, however. Spin is lacking. But it's very soft and comfy. I think I would like more power and spin out of my strings, though.

but i heard Xcel primium is one of the most powerful multis in the market. they say it is just as powerful as natural gut.:confused:

ej
10-26-2008, 06:52 PM
Sounds like you want high shock absorption, low energy return, high dwell time: see polyolefin ribbon technology by Isospeed. They make some Head strings as well. Zyex is another low resilience material.

Kevlar is the stiffest material, but it does have very low resilience or energy return. Ashaway 18g Kevlar M's w/ Iso pro X's > strung VERY, VERY,VERY, VERY low >>>>>

> >> > has zero trampoline because, as noted, these are low energy-return strings.

Plays like a Lacrosse stick. Ball feels like it's on the strings forever. You feel like you're throwing the ball to its target.

nyc
10-26-2008, 07:11 PM
I would recommend IsoSpeed Pro. It's very soft and comfy. Like a plush lounge for the ball to hang out in.

I also quite liked WeissCannon Silvertsring at low tensions - 52 or less.

dabudabuda
10-26-2008, 07:45 PM
Isospeed Control Classic...follow the directions and string 10% higher than your normal synthetic tension and let it sit overnight before hitting. Low powered and comfortable. The Pro versions tend to have more pop.

I suggest string savers in sweetspot for maximum durability.