PDA

View Full Version : knuckle pain

m1stuhxsp4rk5
09-20-2008, 04:29 PM
anyone every experience pain in their index finger base knuckle? i get it sometimes when i hit a forehand and serve.

SystemicAnomaly
09-22-2008, 02:59 AM
All 3 knuckles of the index finger! How old are you?

larry10s
09-22-2008, 10:48 AM
i just got a pain at the base of my index knuckle (metacarpal/proximal phalages) volar aspect. feels almost at the insertion of a tendon when i palpate it. only thing i did different was to try a racquet lighter in weight(11.8oz) compared to my usual racquey(12.4oz) but the grip was 4 1/4 instead of my usual 4 3/8. systemic anomally any guesses. tried to searc for hand problems in tennis players but most i fiound had to do more with the wrist. dont mean to steal the thread but since we were on hand problems thought i would throw this in.

m1stuhxsp4rk5
09-22-2008, 03:03 PM
All 3 knuckles of the index finger! How old are you?

17. im not sure why it started recently. it went away for awhile then recently i hit this serve and i felt this sharp jolt in my base knuckle.

TennisProdigy
09-22-2008, 03:12 PM
im 16 almost 17 and i had this pain also. it was in the knuckles but only when i hit a flat serve, fortunately it went away on its own.

m1stuhxsp4rk5
09-22-2008, 04:31 PM
im 16 almost 17 and i had this pain also. it was in the knuckles but only when i hit a flat serve, fortunately it went away on its own.

how long did it take for it to get better?

SystemicAnomaly
09-22-2008, 08:45 PM
anyone every experience pain in their index finger base knuckle? i get it sometimes when i hit a forehand and serve.

Any bruising or swelling? Have not experienced this myself so I can only throw out guesses about this. This may very well be some sort of repetitive strain injury. You may a tendinitis (inflammation of a tendon) or a bursitis (inflammation of the bursa). There are other possibilities as well - best to consult a physician about this. Ice probably a good idea.

i just got a pain at the base of my index knuckle (metacarpal/proximal phalages) volar aspect. feels almost at the insertion of a tendon when i palpate it...

Larry - so the pain is on the inside of the base knuckle rather then the outside? Any bruising or swelling (or other indication of inflammation)? Sounds like you probably know more about then anatomy of the hand than I do. I generally will educate myself about injuries or conditions that I've experienced myself or for conditions of people that I know. This is not something that I am familiar with.

Besides the possibilities I mentioned above, I'm wondering it there are any nerves running between the metacarpals that might be pinched. As I mentioned before, I don't know hand anatomy all that well so I don't really know if this is really a possibility. What did the doc say?

princemidplus
10-06-2008, 12:55 PM
this has come up in a few other posts as pain in the thenar region as well. can come from grip being too small and thus you try grip the handle much harder than you normally would. this tranfers more impact of each hit to your thumb and forefinger. i am currently suffering from this. not permanent as long as you relax your grip and get correct grip size. mostly caused by impact to the joints themselves and the muscles working really hard to protect said joints. the muscle ache for a while afterwards.

heat may be best (warm water or lthe like) to ease pain/discomfort. make sure there is no tingling/pins and needles as this indicates a nerve problem (not necessarily damage though) and also ensure there are no sharp pains like someone pushing a needle into you.

SystemicAnomaly
10-06-2008, 01:15 PM
PrinceMP, good to see you posting in this forum. Your background/expertise in these matters is apparent in your informative posts. Keep 'em coming.

m1stuhxsp4rk5
10-06-2008, 10:24 PM
this has come up in a few other posts as pain in the thenar region as well. can come from grip being too small and thus you try grip the handle much harder than you normally would. this tranfers more impact of each hit to your thumb and forefinger. i am currently suffering from this. not permanent as long as you relax your grip and get correct grip size. mostly caused by impact to the joints themselves and the muscles working really hard to protect said joints. the muscle ache for a while afterwards.

heat may be best (warm water or lthe like) to ease pain/discomfort. make sure there is no tingling/pins and needles as this indicates a nerve problem (not necessarily damage though) and also ensure there are no sharp pains like someone pushing a needle into you.

thanks for that info. it is very informative.

princemidplus
10-07-2008, 12:14 AM
PrinceMP, good to see you posting in this forum. Your background/expertise in these matters is apparent in your informative posts. Keep 'em coming.

feel i can make a difference here rather than posting in other threads where i can only give my opinion rather than knowledge. will try to keep up and answer questions taht are left unanswered or have fewer response rather than questions that tend to draw a lot of answers.

SystemicAnomaly
10-07-2008, 03:08 AM
f... will try to keep up and answer questions that are left unanswered or have fewer response rather than questions that tend to draw a lot of answers.

I do pretty much the same thing. I usually avoid the threads that already already have a ton of responses.

m1stuhxsp4rk5
10-13-2008, 04:30 PM
im happy the pain is finally completely gone. thanks for you help guys

princemidplus
10-16-2008, 05:48 AM
no problem