PDA

View Full Version : Pacific Xtreme vs. Luxilon ALU Power

AT92292
09-20-2008, 05:14 PM
How do these strings compare? Only comment if you have used both strings.

Rabbit
09-20-2008, 06:26 PM
They compare very favorably. The feel from both is roughly equivalent. Xtreme and ALU are the best all-around polys from both companies in terms of control, power, and comfort.

The big difference between the two IMO is tension maintenance. I've not seen any string maintain tension like Xtreme. It is hands down the most consistent poly I've used in that respect.

AT92292
09-20-2008, 06:28 PM
do u get that luxilon feeling from xtreme when u use it after its fresh

Rabbit
09-20-2008, 06:31 PM
Yes, IMO, it's virtually identical to ALU in terms of feel. <It's also a litle less expensive.>

AT92292
09-20-2008, 06:33 PM
these are the last two strings ive narrowed it down to before buying a reel and I really hope pacific is as good as ALU playability wise because I love Lux but I cant stand how quickly it dies

Casco
09-21-2008, 05:15 AM
I use ALU and I have tried many, many strings to see if I could do any better. Xtreme was about the closest. I still use ALU, however.

Murray_Maniac
09-21-2008, 06:58 AM
What are the pros of ALU over Pacific?

AT92292
09-21-2008, 01:25 PM
I use ALU and I have tried many, many strings to see if I could do any better. Xtreme was about the closest. I still use ALU, however.

Doesnt ALU die too quickly for u? What was the clear difference that made you choose ALU?

Casco
09-21-2008, 05:36 PM
Doesnt ALU die too quickly for u? What was the clear difference that made you choose ALU?

Control. ALU hits different than anything else. See the Nick B poly thread and see what he thinks. As much as I explore strings to try to find something better, I haven't yet. Somewhere on the Nick B thread, amoung a number of posts I've made, I tried to explain what is different about ALU. So you could do a search for that particular post, if you like.

nskatp
09-22-2008, 02:44 PM
For me ALU and Xtreme played a little bit different but justa bit, I played with ALU for about 4 years but I was looking for something that will hold tension better and was a little more forgiving with my arm, I loved the way ALU played at 59lbs but the feeling was gone very quickly and eventually my arm at that tension started to suffer a bit so I decided to look for something else and found Xtreme. It feels softer than ALU but control is as good once you find the right tension. I never experienced arm problems even at 61lbs which was the perfect tension for me, and believe me the tension stays there for long time and no arm problems at all.

Xtreme is a bit cheaper than ALU and if you consider that it will hold tension much better is a more economical alternative, but nothing in my opinion can match the feel of a fresh full job of ALU. But I will say Xtreme can be a good if not better choice.

So if you can afford restringing with ALU quite often and don't suffer for arm problem ALU is for you, otherwise I will give Xtreme shot. You might want to try buying a set first before buying a reel, I did that with WC Silverstring and although is a great string is not as good as Xtreme, but now I have to wait until I ran out of Silverstring to buy Xtreme again.

Matty G
09-23-2008, 05:55 AM
Is it possible for anyone to post a pic of the Xtreme (Iv lost my camera cord so im unable to uplode a pic). Iv got a pacific poly in one of my raquets(It got strang about 2 years ago) and i forgot the full name. Its orange and tranclucent . Do you think it is the Xtreme or original?

Rabbit
09-23-2008, 06:13 AM
Is it possible for anyone to post a pic of the Xtreme (Iv lost my camera cord so im unable to uplode a pic). Iv got a pacific poly in one of my raquets(It got strang about 2 years ago) and i forgot the full name. Its orange and tranclucent . Do you think it is the Xtreme or original?

Xtreme and Original are very hard to tell apart. They are both the same color and for all intents and purposes look the same. They do, however, play significantly different, Xtreme plays more like ALU and Original is a firmer hit and plays like TiMo.

Matty G
09-23-2008, 07:09 AM
Xtreme and Original are very hard to tell apart. They are both the same color and for all intents and purposes look the same. They do, however, play significantly different, Xtreme plays more like ALU and Original is a firmer hit and plays like TiMo.

Thnks Rabbit. I have a feeling it was the Xtreme. I think i need to give them a go on my new raquets!

Matty G
09-23-2008, 07:10 AM
Can anyone compare Xtreme and bbo. Also if im stringing bbo at 56 should i string Xtreme at 56

Rabbit
09-23-2008, 11:28 AM
Xtreme is not as comfortable as Original, but will give you better control. It also maintains tension better.

AT92292
09-23-2008, 05:39 PM
Ok I have changed my choices it is now between Tecnifibre Red Code and Pacific Xtreme I havent tried Red Code but from what it sounds like I might like it. I cant settle on any one string but once I buy a reel I will. Im too concerned with how my racket looks freshly strung that once I find something good and use it for a little while it looks too plain or is too much so please someone help me

Matty G
09-23-2008, 10:43 PM
Ok I have changed my choices it is now between Tecnifibre Red Code and Pacific Xtreme I havent tried Red Code but from what it sounds like I might like it. I cant settle on any one string but once I buy a reel I will. Im too concerned with how my racket looks freshly strung that once I find something good and use it for a little while it looks too plain or is too much so please someone help me

Prc and Xtreme are also the strings that im trying next. Many people dont like prc (say its vey harsh) so i think that might put me of.

Matty G
09-23-2008, 10:45 PM
Xtreme is not as comfortable as Original, but will give you better control. It also maintains tension better.

Thanks but would you string them at the same tension ? Also which is more comfortable alu or Xtreme? And one last question is Xtreme or bbo more durable? Thanks

Rabbit
09-24-2008, 03:56 AM
Thanks but would you string them at the same tension ? Also which is more comfortable alu or Xtreme? And one last question is Xtreme or bbo more durable? Thanks

I strung all polys (timo original alu Xtreme original etc) the same 54 pounds in my C10s.

IMO Xtreme and ALU were virtually identical except in tension maintenance.

I cut Original out because it lost tension. Xtreme was more durable then because it held tension better.

Matty G
09-24-2008, 04:35 AM
I strung all polys (timo original alu Xtreme original etc) the same 54 pounds in my C10s.

IMO Xtreme and ALU were virtually identical except in tension maintenance.

I cut Original out because it lost tension. Xtreme was more durable then because it held tension better.

Thanks Rabbit. Xtreme is on the top of my list now!!!

Rabbit
09-24-2008, 11:45 AM
NP, glad to help.