PDA

View Full Version : Whats better for stringing : Big hands or Small

b0oMeR
09-20-2008, 06:53 PM
Hey guys, I'd like to see what you guys think.

Is it easier to string with big hands or small hands. I personally think smaller hands would be much much easier to string with as opposed to my large ones :neutral:

ronalditop
09-20-2008, 08:35 PM
are you kidding me?

tennisfreak15347
09-20-2008, 08:39 PM
Smaller hands, but they'd have to be conditioned to stringing, or else people would assume that babies were the best adapted to stringing :lol:. I have very small hands, but they hurt on my first three stringjobs. now everything's alright. However, I dont think there's much of a difference, as long as you can weave crosses in a swift manner, along with having good hand-eye cordination to not waste time spending 5 seconds trying to push the string through the grommets

b0oMeR
09-20-2008, 10:29 PM
Well my friend has freakishly long fingers and he has a VERY hard time trying to weave strings, while my other friend does it like its second nature. Just noticed this a few days ago and wanna see if anyone else notices this.

jim e
09-21-2008, 07:25 AM
You can't be serious!

Il Mostro
09-21-2008, 07:39 AM
Child slave labor would be best -- like the South Asian & Middle Eastern woven rug industry uses. (Tongue firmly implanted in cheek -- not advocating this.)

Mansewerz
09-21-2008, 08:37 AM
I dunno. My hands, I've been told are big, and that I've got long fingers, but I can weave crosses pretty well. Hell, sometimes crosses are faster than mains for me!

YULitle
09-21-2008, 09:30 AM
I've always though that smaller hands would be better, but I have no particular reason to think that.a

Nuke
09-21-2008, 10:19 AM
It's not the size of the hands that counts, but what you can do with them. Or something like that.

baek57
09-21-2008, 11:37 AM
i am naturally inclined to say smaller hands would be easier, but i also have no reason to believe bigger hands cannot do it just as easily.

tennisfreak15347
09-21-2008, 12:34 PM
I dunno. My hands, I've been told are big, and that I've got long fingers, but I can weave crosses pretty well. Hell, sometimes crosses are faster than mains for me!

crosses take me forever, but main's take me only 15- or-so minutes

Mansewerz
09-21-2008, 01:51 PM
Really? I dunno why, but mains take me longer. Maybe it's the whole double pull thing and what not. Crosses just go smoother (I mostly string synthetic gut, only ever done 1 poly job).

Don't worry though, crosses get way easier with practice.

ronalditop
09-21-2008, 01:59 PM
i have a question: when using strings in hibrids, you use almost half of the string, can you use the other half for another string job next time?
sorry if is a stupid question.

Zhou
09-21-2008, 02:37 PM
Really? I dunno why, but mains take me longer. Maybe it's the whole double pull thing and what not. Crosses just go smoother (I mostly string synthetic gut, only ever done 1 poly job).

Really? It takes me like 10 minutes for the mains and like 25-30 for the crosses.

Eric4
09-21-2008, 03:25 PM
experienced hands

Nuke
09-21-2008, 03:28 PM
i have a question: when using strings in hibrids, you use almost half of the string, can you use the other half for another string job next time?=
Yep. You cut the 40' set into two 20' lengths, and it's half of the hybrid set.

b0oMeR
09-21-2008, 05:31 PM
Yep. You cut the 40' set into two 20' lengths, and it's half of the hybrid set.

Yeah you can, but if your racquet needs something like 21' then well your out of luck. I think there are oversized string sets though.

tennisfreak15347
09-21-2008, 05:49 PM

yup, I'm sure ill get better at it. BTW, you're using Gamma synthetic gut right now? I am too; it plays beautifully, dont you agree? ;].

game set match 46 TIMES!!
09-21-2008, 05:54 PM
dosent matter that much but smaller hands do it faster.

tennisfreak15347
09-21-2008, 06:13 PM
dosent matter that much but smaller hands do it faster.

I agree; they are more maneuverable. However, this is only referring to if you're an experienced stringer, as an experienced stringer with long fingers will obviously beat a novice-stringer such as myself :neutral:

Gmedlo
09-21-2008, 06:28 PM
It doesn't matter, but if anything, you'd want long fingers for weaving so that your digits are more maneuverable on the underside of the racquet. Shorter fingers would mean more movement of the arms is required.

I've got large sized hands with massive palms. I look like I have small-medium sized hands until I give you a high-five, dominating everyone else's puny, womanly palms. :lol: The only downside is that I can't really palm a basketball that easily. Hopefully my fingers still have some growin' left in my young age.