PDA

View Full Version : Supex- big Ace

09-20-2008, 07:50 PM
Well, I finally got my stick fresh strung with my new Big Ace and what an outing it was!

At first I had trouble deciding how I wanted to hybrid it. I have used BBO in crosses with a softer main and have enjoyed using that approach since last winter, but also have a stick with BG mains and soft crosses that has worked well lately as well. What to do?

With all the great comments about Big Ace, I finally just decided to go with a full job, no hybrid, so that I would really know how the poly felt with no concern about a hybrid companion string to muddy the waters.
Good Move.

Had a dubs match this morning and warmed up with the BA, very ready to run back to my BBO hybrid if things were not right. Wow, I just never even considered it. It felt great in the Warmup, near perfect. Crisp feel and control on all shots.

The best aspect was the range of the string. On the chips, volleys, and touch shots which I hit several today, it felt just as good as it did when ripping heavy TS or driving a flat hard serve return. Every shot was within inches of my intentions. Also I felt no arm discomfort with this full poly set up! I'd say it felt as good as any I've used for comfort and clearly the best for precision.

To say I was impressed is an big understatement. I only had about 2 UEs the whole match, in winningg 6-4, 6-4 against some hard hitting opponents. One was a 26yr old tennis instructor from Europe and his partner was a big powerful Russian player, also in his 20s. I ripped into one serve return where I felt the string give just a touch and missed the shot 3-4 inches long on an Insideout FH. I remember thinking that if I hit that hard more often, i would have to consider stringing 2-4 lbs tighter, but I rarely spank one like that.

Now the funny thing is that this has me thinking that I can really up the power in my game a notch or two more than I already have, due to the control and spin I'm getting now. I used to think it was me missing the shots when I missed going bigger, but this yr I've come to realize that often it was my string setup that was not up to the task. It was demanding me to change my shot too much to keep it in the court, but that was unnecessary i have learned.

Now my only question is how long it will last playing at this level. I strung it at 57 mains and 55 crosses in my 102 prestige, which is lower than my usual 59/57 hybrid tensions. Thought with full poly I could get away with it and it would be better on the arm. I'll give an update on the next 2-3 wks with it if there is any posted interest in the results.

ODYSSEY Mk.4
09-20-2008, 09:31 PM
big ace is really nice string that its cheap and a really good poly but everyone plays different i cant really say i know how long it last as i cut out my full poly set ups after a week im just a worrier about TE so i never let it go dead i play about 3-4 times a week and it hold up very well i picked up a reel on the 3bay for 99 very cheap and great stuff
ive also tried hybriding it with gut but BA is so nice i think ill be going with a majority of full set ups

09-21-2008, 03:33 AM
I will also hybrid it with Max Touch to compare. I probably need to go ahead and buy a reel of BA for the price.

ag200boy
09-21-2008, 06:39 AM
big ace is really nice string that its cheap and a really good poly but everyone plays different i cant really say i know how long it last as i cut out my full poly set ups after a week im just a worrier about TE so i never let it go dead i play about 3-4 times a week and it hold up very well i picked up a reel on the 3bay for 99 very cheap and great stuff
ive also tried hybriding it with gut but BA is so nice i think ill be going with a majority of full set ups

wait..... u paid 99 on 3bay?

you can buy them online for 80 with 5 dollar shipping

Nanshiki
09-21-2008, 07:23 AM
Does big ace let you hit high-power flat shots without the ball shooting high all the time?

biger
09-21-2008, 07:28 AM
After playing CF for almost one year, I made a switch to Big Ace. I really love the feel from Big Ace, while having the same control and spin potential as CF.

takl23
09-21-2008, 09:37 AM
I've been using BA since January and I haven't gone with anything else since. The power is there on the first serve, and I my OBH isn't that strong, but I get good pop on it. My forehand is my best shot by far and I can go all out and keep in the court. Anyone using poly should try BA.

Cheers,

Tim

game set match 46 TIMES!!
09-21-2008, 01:59 PM
i mixed big ace on apdc with xcel power 16 and got no power isnt this weird???? :confused:

09-21-2008, 03:08 PM
i mixed big ace on apdc with xcel power 16 and got no power isnt this weird???? :confused:

It is. Have to ask, did you ever have much power?

I'm not a real power hitter, but my weird thing is that polys have helped me to start hitting more power. :)
Because of their added control and the added spin, I can now be much more aggressive. So maybe others that have kept their power in check due to lack of fine control may want to consider that poly can actually bring more power access into your game thru the control they offer.

Make sense?

09-21-2008, 03:22 PM
Does big ace let you hit high-power flat shots without the ball shooting high all the time?

Wish I could help you, but I don't hit much flat and when I do, the power is more medium for sure. I only hit flat on rtn of a big serve or if someone crushes a shot right at me, then I mostly just meet it firmly to drive it to a spot to use their power against them.

2nd_Serve
09-21-2008, 03:46 PM
It's a really nice string. You should try hybriding it with other great strings from Pro Supex. Which is everything ....

game set match 46 TIMES!!
09-21-2008, 04:47 PM
It is. Have to ask, did you ever have much power?

I'm not a real power hitter, but my weird thing is that polys have helped me to start hitting more power. :)
Because of their added control and the added spin, I can now be much more aggressive. So maybe others that have kept their power in check due to lack of fine control may want to consider that poly can actually bring more power access into your game thru the control they offer.

Make sense? im really power hitter, all i do is attack.pushing is very boring.

09-22-2008, 09:20 AM
im really power hitter, all i do is attack.pushing is very boring.

Attack or Push, hmmm
Are those the only 2 options you see in your game?
Is not attacking pushing for your definition?

I agree that pushing is boring.

PED
09-22-2008, 09:43 AM

Yes, BA will let you rip away with flat shots as well. I used to use BA in my PDR and APDC and it was the best string for those sticks. It's fairly soft-so it's easy on the arm but the control is still really nice and you can really amp the power on the FH and still have it drop in ;)

PED
09-22-2008, 09:45 AM
5263, alot of the durability will depend on what size BA you are using-1.28, 1.25, 1.22 or 1.17? I think the 1.25 is the best all around option for control and power and the 1.22 is the most powerful. It's really nice string for a great price.

09-22-2008, 03:14 PM
5263, alot of the durability will depend on what size BA you are using-1.28, 1.25, 1.22 or 1.17? I think the 1.25 is the best all around option for control and power and the 1.22 is the most powerful. It's really nice string for a great price.

Thanks, I really appreciate the insight into the various gauges. I actually bought a 1.22 and a 1.25 so far.

The one I used is the 1.22, so I will be doing a MT hybrid on the 1.25 I expect.
Maybe that will keep the power similar to the 1.22 full job.

PED
09-22-2008, 03:24 PM
That hybrid should be nice. I did a similar setup this spring in my pdr with BA 1.22 mains and crossed with Wilson sensation. I did them at 55/57 and the sensation did a nice job of adding some feel to the setup.

09-22-2008, 03:28 PM
That hybrid should be nice. I did a similar setup this spring in my pdr with BA 1.22 mains and crossed with Wilson sensation. I did them at 55/57 and the sensation did a nice job of adding some feel to the setup.

This year I've been using sensation mains with BBO crosses and it has been good. This month I'm trying the MT and BA since the BA is cheaper and should stay playable longer. I hear that sensation may be going away, so I have been looking for a replacement there with the MT.

PED
09-22-2008, 03:30 PM
One of the best setups I used was X1 mains crossed with CF. It only lasted 2 hours but it was the best combo of spin, power and control that I've ever had.

I think I retry a variation of that soon with klip excellerator mains crossed with CF, should be nice and the klip lasts me a bit longer.

09-22-2008, 03:37 PM
PED,

I almost forgot that I picked up some CF 1.25 on my last order for a try. Thanks for the reminder!
I guess I should start focusing on a companion string like the OP, in case the MT doesn't pan out, although I'm pretty confident I'm going to like the MT.