PDA

View Full Version : Different Tension Mains and Crosses?

supertrex
09-20-2008, 11:55 PM
that are the advantages of having different tension? why not just keep all tension the same cross and mains?

tennisfreak15347
09-21-2008, 07:39 AM
it depends. On a hybrid of poly mains and syn gut/multi/natural gut crosses, theres obviously going to be a difference because you're supposed to string poly 5-10% lower tension. Other reasons, assuming you're using a full set of the same string, is to reduce movement in the mains and/or to give it a stiffer feel.

Zhou
09-21-2008, 08:00 AM
It would be a good idea to do a search before posting a thread like this because it has come up numerous times in the past.

But anyway, I string my mains and crosses at different tensions to compensate for the elasticity of the multi mains compared to the poly crosses. Vise versa if I had multi crosses and poly mains.

APDC with PHT/NXT was at 58/62.
PS Ltd. with NXT/PHT is at 51/48.

supertrex
09-21-2008, 09:33 AM
lowering the tension on the mains reduces the string movement?

Virtua Tennis
09-21-2008, 10:30 AM
I always string my crosses tighter than my mains to reduce string movement and to push the sweet spot higher.

If you did the reverse your sweet spot will be lower and wider.

suunnygirl
09-22-2008, 05:52 AM
I always string my crosses tighter than my mains to reduce string movement and to push the sweet spot higher.

If you did the reverse your sweet spot will be lower and wider.

Can you do this on a Yonex? Will it screw up the racquet?
Yonex recommends stringing the crosses on their racquets at a lower tension that the mains.

andreh
09-22-2008, 06:41 AM
I string my crosses lower in an all gut set-up. I find it gives me more spin and power.

EndLy
09-22-2008, 07:40 AM
lol you know, i was talking to a 6.0 master stringer at one of the local shops that my friend visits frequently, he was telling me that people give him absurd tensions to string it at. He asked me if i was able to tell the difference if i strung my strings at two different settings and i said no i wouldn't. He also asked a few others and some customer told him that less fuzz comes off the ball of its a one and a half tension difference... after that customer left he told he that he couldn't even tell the difference because most of the feedback are from the mains and if it made any difference it would be a confidence thing to recreational players. I guess i would have to agree because it does make sense, i wouldn't be able to feel the difference and i'm sure most people aren't neither

steve s
09-22-2008, 10:20 AM
I play with gut mains, hold tension well. My sys gut crosses not so good so I string up 4 to 6 pounds.

tennisfreak15347
09-22-2008, 12:22 PM
lol you know, i was talking to a 6.0 master stringer at one of the local shops that my friend visits frequently, he was telling me that people give him absurd tensions to string it at. He asked me if i was able to tell the difference if i strung my strings at two different settings and i said no i wouldn't. He also asked a few others and some customer told him that less fuzz comes off the ball of its a one and a half tension difference... after that customer left he told he that he couldn't even tell the difference because most of the feedback are from the mains and if it made any difference it would be a confidence thing to recreational players. I guess i would have to agree because it does make sense, i wouldn't be able to feel the difference and i'm sure most people aren't neither

Most of us cannot tell the difference between 1 pound of tension, but I think 90% of the board members can feel a difference of 2 lbs. Stringing the crosses tighter also reduces string movement in the mains, and theres obviously going to be a tension difference if you're stringing two different type of strings, like hybriding polys and synthetic guts.