PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid - Poly mains vs Nat Gut mains??

iTennis47
09-21-2008, 09:01 AM
Too lazy to search:oops: I switched from prince syn gut duraflex to wilson champ choice to experiment and see how hybrid would feel. It feels stiffer and more solid prince syn gut and IMO theres less feel. Is that because the polys are the mains and not the nat gut? This is my first time using a hybrid so i wudnt know:-|

2nd_Serve
09-21-2008, 03:53 PM
Yes. It probably is because the poly is in the mains. But still, the natural gut should make up for it ... I don't think it's possible that champion's choice would have less feel than PSGD

ls206
09-21-2008, 04:02 PM
different tensions maybe?
the poly has probably got a lot to do with it (you've switched from a full syn gut right?)

what tensions did you use?

iTennis47
09-21-2008, 08:02 PM
yes full syn gut, a reason for less feel is prolly cuz i gotta break in the stringing, i only played once wit dem so far

skyman1700
09-21-2008, 10:05 PM
I'm level 0 beginner using a Wilson K Six One Tour 90 Racquet that's stringed with 57lb Wilson NXT 16, what type of strings and tensions should I use to get the best results (SPIN n FEEL) and yet last me the LONGEST?

Ljubicic for number1
09-21-2008, 11:22 PM
I'm level 0 beginner using a Wilson K Six One Tour 90 Racquet that's stringed with 57lb Wilson NXT 16, what type of strings and tensions should I use to get the best results (SPIN n FEEL) and yet last me the LONGEST?

HAHAHAHA Thanks for the laugh, I needed it today:)

downdaline
09-22-2008, 07:35 AM
Poly mains feel nothing like Gut mains.

A hybrid with poly mains feels like a softer poly. A hybrid with gut mains feels like a firm gut. Stick with the gut mains, and string the poly at a lower tension, it'll improve the feel of the gut in the mains.

Keifers
09-22-2008, 09:48 AM
Poly mains feel nothing like Gut mains.

A hybrid with poly mains feels like a softer poly. A hybrid with gut mains feels like a firm gut. Stick with the gut mains, and string the poly at a lower tension, it'll improve the feel of the gut in the mains.
I like your description here.

So what benefits do you get from using poly crosses with gut mains, as opposed to, say, monofilament synthetic crosses with gut mains -- expecially if you lower the tension of the poly crosses?

Thanks in advance.

Rexking
11-30-2008, 10:08 AM
bump for above post.

mctennis
12-01-2008, 06:29 AM
I use the gut mains and a different string in the crosses as my hybrid. The mains is what gives the racquet it's feel. If you have a stiff string in the mains it will feel stiff. I use TiMo as my crosses and the racquet seems to cup the ball better and I have excellent feel by using gut mains. I've tried it in reverse with the mains as the synthetic and gut crosses and it plays and feels entirely different. In fact it feels too stiff and I do not have the control or feel as I want. I hope this helps.

hoodjem
12-01-2008, 06:35 AM
Yes gut in the mains for maximum feel.

And lower the tension on the poly crosses by 3-5 lbs. Most poly manufacturers recommend lowering the tension on a poly by 5-10% versus your normal tension.

Otherwise the standard tension poly will feel too stiff and hard. Sound familiar?

darkvard
12-01-2008, 10:01 AM
Why not use a soft poly in the mains and natural in the cross