PDA

View Full Version : Protein Drink?

Kenny022593
09-21-2008, 04:43 PM
Is this a good protein drink? http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2944038&cp=2665513.2108294&parentPage=family

ive been wanting to get a protein drink to help me bulk up because i just dont eat enough protein during the day i wanted a decent tasting one too. This is my first time ever looking for something like this so does anyone have suggestions?

game set match 46 TIMES!!
09-21-2008, 05:10 PM
i've never used it but i heard it's prety good its as good as most other 1 my friends say.

Hot Sauce
09-21-2008, 06:09 PM
Go with Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey.

Gmedlo
09-21-2008, 06:19 PM
Go with Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey.

I'll second this recommendation, although I haven't tried many protein powders yet. I haven't needed to because I've been satisfied with my results from ON whey.

Mystere
09-21-2008, 07:35 PM
I bought some muscle milk. anyone else using it?

0range
09-22-2008, 06:07 PM
I bought some muscle milk. anyone else using it?

I drink Muscle Mlik too.

All protein shake with little or no carb/fat taste like chalk. Unless you are carbing up some other ways and don't mind the nasty taste of 100% pure protein shake, go for it.

iphoneman
09-22-2008, 06:07 PM
whey is the way

xtremerunnerars
09-22-2008, 07:11 PM
GNC is ridiculously expensive. Liken it to buying from a normal sporting goods store VS buying from TW.

Optimum nutrition is all you should need. Muscle Milk is great if you don't always have time for a good meal but you probably DO have time you just don't realize it/put out the effort.

Hot Sauce
09-22-2008, 09:41 PM
I drink Muscle Mlik too.

All protein shake with little or no carb/fat taste like chalk. Unless you are carbing up some other ways and don't mind the nasty taste of 100% pure protein shake, go for it.

Gotta disagree. I have ON 100% whey all the time, and it tastes wonderful.

superman1
09-22-2008, 10:43 PM
Overpriced.

I have absolutely no clue what the best whey protein is - all of the scientific stuff they say about "partially pre-digested" etc etc doesn't necessarily mean anything at all. I can only judge by price, taste, and popularity. I used to use ON Whey Chocolate which was cheap and pretty good in milk (awful in water), now I switched to Cytosport Complete Whey Cocoa Bean which is tastier and quite nice to drink (it's by the makers of Muscle Milk and they know how to make a good tasting drink).

Muscle Milk is good for a bulk but it's pricey and not really optimal post-workout. A mixture of whey and casein is recommended post-workout, but the ratio in Muscle Milk may be less than optimal. Of course, this is all just splitting hairs. If you want to simplify it just get some damn protein and calories in you and you'll grow.

Hot Sauce
09-22-2008, 11:12 PM
Muscle Milk is more of a MR, like someone already stated. 100% whey will get you lean mass gains.

If you want taste, try BSN's Snytha-6. The price however, is another story.

equinox
09-23-2008, 12:27 AM
ON 100% Whey Chocolate.

Forget GNC.

Kenny022593
09-23-2008, 05:27 PM
Like i said this is the first protein drink i have bought and i will be still eatting 3 meals a day i just need more protein to build muscle because i do not eat enough protein in the day

PED
09-23-2008, 06:56 PM
I use the GNC. With the current promotion they offer, I split the costs of 2 with a friend of mine and it's only around $37 with tax.

I've been using it for a year and it makes a big difference in recovery and building lean muscle mass. It tastes good too ;)

Hot Sauce
09-23-2008, 08:24 PM
OP, Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey is the most popular and reputable whey protein out there. You can't go wrong with it.

Banger
09-23-2008, 11:51 PM
+1 on the ON whey. Its great, plus they have one with no artificial flavors, colors or sweeteners- none of the aspartame stuff.

SystemicAnomaly
09-24-2008, 04:05 AM
Is this a good protein drink? http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2944038&cp=2665513.2108294&parentPage=family

ive been wanting to get a protein drink to help me bulk up because i just dont eat enough protein during the day i wanted a decent tasting one too. This is my first time ever looking for something like this so does anyone have suggestions?

I tend to go with unflavored Whey products. Will sometimes opt for a vanilla whey product if it doesn't have too much extraneous junk in it. I suspect that the product you are asking about it probably Whey Concentrate. You are probably better off looking for a product that contains Whey Isolate or is a blend of concentrate and islolate. For more about this, read the following:

NowFoods.com/index.php?action=itemdetail&item_id=10623 (http://www.nowfoods.com/index.php?action=itemdetail&item_id=10623)

You might try the following resource for better prices than GNC. They do have larger (5 lb ) quantities in the store but not sure if they will ship anything larger than the 2 lb products (Note that the 1 lb products are usually unflavored and may have the same number of servings or same amount of total protein as the 2 lb products).

NutritionalCenter.com/site/en/search/whey+isolate/product/0 (http://www.nutritionalcenter.com/site/en/search/whey+isolate/product/0)

SystemicAnomaly
09-24-2008, 04:19 AM
You should also try a search in this forum. There should be some posts by Ano or others more savvy than me about protein drinks or powders.

Tombhoneb
09-25-2008, 03:39 AM
PhD Nutrition Pharma Whey has given me the best results by far. ON 100% Whey came a close 2nd. Both taste great but don't expect results without putting the time in.

Tom

Mystere
09-25-2008, 04:02 AM
I am currently using the Muscle Milk after workouts and it is doing the trick.

TnTBigman
09-25-2008, 04:12 AM
ahhhh....GNC...those were the ignorant days. way too overpriced. Try Vitamin world or Vitamine shoppe. or your local supplement warehouse. I use VP2 Whey Protein Isolate from AST-SS. 1 scoop plus 2% fat milk after a workout. $28 lasts me 6 weeks.

hollywood9826
09-25-2008, 04:29 AM
Muscle Milk is more of a MR, like someone already stated. 100% whey will get you lean mass gains.

If you want taste, try BSN's Snytha-6. The price however, is another story.

That syntha 6 dont seem that expensive. I have never used it though

http://www.dpsnutrition.net/get_item_bs041.htm

Then you got the 10lb bag of ON whey.

http://www.dpsnutrition.net/get_item_on055.htm

I nor my friends have ever really liked any of the GNC branded stuff. But is a lower quality protein. As far as the weight to protein ratio If you get the 2 5lb tubs of GNC for 66 bucks. which according to the label is 2920 grams of protein. If you get the ON whey 10lb is 79bucks but nets you a total of 3840 grams of protein. The ON is higher quality protein. You would need about 2 more pounds of the GNC stuff to equal the ON.

SystemicAnomaly
09-25-2008, 06:48 AM
That syntha 6 dont seem that expensive. I have never used it though

http://www.dpsnutrition.net/get_item_bs041.htm ...

Could not tell from the description -- what kind of protein does this contain? Whey Isolate? Other?

Sleepstream
09-25-2008, 07:19 AM
Could not tell from the description -- what kind of protein does this contain? Whey Isolate? Other?

Syntha 6 is more than just a protein blend as it does have more carbs than a 100% whey or even most other protein blends.

A Sustained Release Ultra-Premium Protein Matrix Comprised Of (Ultrafiltered Whey Protein Concentrate [Milk] Rich In Alpha Lactalbumin, Microfiltered Whey Protein Isolate [Milk] Rich In Whey Isolate Peptide Fractions, Calcium Caseinate, Micellar Alpha And Beta Caseins And Caseinates [Milk], Milk Protein Isolate [Milk], Egg Albumin [Egg], Glutamine Peptides), Richmix Sunflower Powder Consisting Of (Sunflower Oil, Corn Syrup Solids, Sodium Caseinate [Milk], Mono-Glycerides, Di-Glycerides, And Dipotassium Phosphate), Dutch Processed Cocoa Powder, LitesseŽII Polydextrose, Natural And Artificial Flavors, Nutrisperse MCT Powder Consisting Of (Medium Chain Triglycerides, Nonfat Dry Milk, Di-Sodium Phosphate, Silicon Dioxide), TicaloseŽ Cellulose Gum, Sucralose , Acesulfame Potassium, Lecithin [Soy], AminogenŽ, Papain

coachdavidh
09-25-2008, 10:10 AM
I prefer EVO PRO by Cytosport (who makes muscle milk). It has both Whey for long term absorption and Casein for short term absorption. Plus it has few carbs and less calories.

Hot Sauce
09-25-2008, 11:45 AM

I'm not too sure, as I've only had some sample packets that someone has given to me. I'll have to check.

When I was first looking into buying whey, I saw the whey concentrate vs isolate debate that you've touched on. The common conception is that isolate is better (as you've mentioned), but I found research saying that one really isn't better than the other. More effective, I should say.

Sleepstream
09-25-2008, 11:55 AM
I'm not too sure, as I've only had some sample packets that someone has given to me. I'll have to check.

When I was first looking into buying whey, I saw the whey concentrate vs isolate debate that you've touched on. The common conception is that isolate is better (as you've mentioned), but I found research saying that one really isn't better than the other. More effective, I should say.

My earlier post has the ingredient listing for Syntha 6.

xtremerunnerars
09-25-2008, 01:38 PM
I prefer EVO PRO by Cytosport (who makes muscle milk). It has both Whey for long term absorption and Casein for short term absorption. Plus it has few carbs and less calories.

Why do you care about calories if you're worrying about a protein drink? Calories are ENERGY!

After a workout (be it cardio or weight lifting) you need whey isolate. Whey isolate is absorbed the quickest and most efficiently (called bioavailability, a quantity measurable for all protein)

Casein's from eggs and it takes longer to absorb so you DO NOT want that after a workout. A few hours later yes it's a great source and it's also fantastic for the morning to keep your metabolism going.

If you want JUST protein for after a workout, get Optimum Nutrition 100% whey. It's the highest quality and has a damn good price. There's a reason it's known as the best! If you want to replenish carbs too (which you should) add in dextrose (a sugar that is absorbed quickly like whey is).

A lot of other drinks (Muscle Milk, Monster Milk, Myoplex, EVO) aren't comparable because they're meant to either replace meals or substitute for a small meal.

What do you specifically want from your shakes?

Sleepstream
09-25-2008, 01:55 PM
Why do you care about calories if you're worrying about a protein drink? Calories are ENERGY!

After a workout (be it cardio or weight lifting) you need whey isolate. Whey isolate is absorbed the quickest and most efficiently (called bioavailability, a quantity measurable for all protein)

Casein's from eggs and it takes longer to absorb so you DO NOT want that after a workout. A few hours later yes it's a great source and it's also fantastic for the morning to keep your metabolism going.

If you want JUST protein for after a workout, get Optimum Nutrition 100% whey. It's the highest quality and has a damn good price. There's a reason it's known as the best! If you want to replenish carbs too (which you should) add in dextrose (a sugar that is absorbed quickly like whey is).

A lot of other drinks (Muscle Milk, Monster Milk, Myoplex, EVO) aren't comparable because they're meant to either replace meals or substitute for a small meal.

What do you specifically want from your shakes?

I seriously hope this is a joke post.

coachdavidh
09-25-2008, 02:45 PM

I have had great success with EVO Pro and would not consider changing for the world. Plus the price is right.

Hot Sauce
09-25-2008, 03:21 PM
I seriously hope this is a joke post.

How so? He brought up some good points.

Sleepstream
09-25-2008, 03:43 PM
How so? He brought up some good points.

No, his information is incorrect.

Whey isolate is not needed, and not absorbed the most quickly. Hydrolyzed whey is going to be more quickly, and peptides even more so. But even then it's not necessary to pay the premium for whey isolate if whey concentrate does not cause any problems.

Casein is a milk protein, not an egg protein. Regardless, it is good to get casein after a workout along with whey due to the properties both have, one being anti-catabolic and the other being more anabolic. Different amino acid profiles, different effects. This is why milk is excellent after a workout, including it being highly insulinogenic.

Optimum 100% Whey is not the best. Honestly, it's difficult to say there is a best whey blend with there being so many out there. It's a popular blend. I'll say it's solid, and that's about all I have to say in regards to it. I quit consuming ON because it does cause problems with stomach.

There is no need to replenish carbs through the use of dextrose or maltodextrin unless one is going to play tennis or participate in other strenuous activities multiple times daily. Besides, these have nothing in terms of micronutrients. Why not eat pasta, oatmeal, or other carb sources that have vitamins and minerals? Even a banana is a nice addition.

EvoPro is a quality protein blend and is nowhere close to a MRP shake. The others he listed are.

Hot Sauce
09-25-2008, 04:00 PM
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/satternorton.htm

This article claims that you do not want want casein and whey together after a workout.

Sleepstream
09-25-2008, 05:12 PM
Perhaps you should have a read at this:
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=3123433&postcount=2

I'm not necessarily suggesting solely casein post exercise. I prefer 2-3 cups of milk along with a scoop or so of whey protein.

Hot Sauce
09-25-2008, 06:15 PM
Fair enough, I'm not going to read all of that though. The water vs milk PWO debate has already gone on forever.

0range
09-25-2008, 06:54 PM
No, his information is incorrect.

Whey isolate is not needed, and not absorbed the most quickly. Hydrolyzed whey is going to be more quickly, and peptides even more so. But even then it's not necessary to pay the premium for whey isolate if whey concentrate does not cause any problems.

Casein is a milk protein, not an egg protein. Regardless, it is good to get casein after a workout along with whey due to the properties both have, one being anti-catabolic and the other being more anabolic. Different amino acid profiles, different effects. This is why milk is excellent after a workout, including it being highly insulinogenic.

Optimum 100% Whey is not the best. Honestly, it's difficult to say there is a best whey blend with there being so many out there. It's a popular blend. I'll say it's solid, and that's about all I have to say in regards to it. I quit consuming ON because it does cause problems with stomach.

There is no need to replenish carbs through the use of dextrose or maltodextrin unless one is going to play tennis or participate in other strenuous activities multiple times daily. Besides, these have nothing in terms of micronutrients. Why not eat pasta, oatmeal, or other carb sources that have vitamins and minerals? Even a banana is a nice addition.

EvoPro is a quality protein blend and is nowhere close to a MRP shake. The others he listed are.

Hi there,

So for someone like me, who needs energy to have quality workout 3 times a week and play quality tennis at least twice a week, it is best to drink sugar right after exercise? If so, how many grams of sugar do you recommand?

And what do you mean by "insulinogenic"? (couldn't find the word in a dictionary...) Do you think, in my case, that milk is a better alternative to sugary drink as milk contains 12g of simple sugar?

(ps. for me, in the order of importance: having energy for tennis/workout > bulk up > fat loss)

SystemicAnomaly
09-26-2008, 03:10 AM

Casein is a milk protein, not an egg protein. Whey is the other milk protein. Casein, like egg protein, is a "slow" protein. I'm not sure if it's the best approach, but I'll often consume whey shortly after a workout. A bit later, before or with a balanced meal, I'll ingest some egg whites. I save the yolks for later -- toward the end of the meal.

Not sure if there has been any more recent developments, but the effectiveness or superiority of hydrolyzed whey protein really hadn't been proven in humans. It appears that hydrolyzed whey may have been all the rage a few years back, but has fallen out of favor -- at least until it has data to back it up that will justify its high cost and unpleasant taste.

Doesn't hydrolyzing protein yield the peptides that you refer to? Or are the peptides that you mention something else?

As I understand it, the early whey protein concentrates (WPC) were relatively low in protein because they were high in lactose (milk sugar) and milkfat. Modern WPC still contains some lactose & fat but is much higher in its protein content. Besides its lower cost, WPC has health benefit advantages over some whey protein isolates (WPI). WPC contains some beneficial bioactive components that are missing in a simple ion-exchange WPI.

Enter, the newer generation of WPI -- micro-filtered islolates. One of the better known versions is known as CFM = cross flow micro-filtration. These new WPI processes produce a very high grade protein -- very high protein content (super-low in fat & lactose) with the beneficial bioactive compounds (found in WPC) intact. This would appear to make these types of WPI products superior to the high-grade WPC products.

From a cost standpoint, a product that contains both WPC and WPI (especially a micro-filtered version) would probably make a lot of sense. However, NOW (Foods) does make an excellent pure WPI (CFM) that is very reasonably priced. (Check the 2nd link below).

BodyBuilding.com/fun/willbrink3.htm (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/willbrink3.htm)

BodyBuilding.com/fun/tietge9.htm (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/tietge9.htm)