PDA

View Full Version : Tennis Tutor Plus - help

katematt
09-22-2008, 06:58 AM
found a used machine for 350$ at a garage sale. It needs a battery and a charger. Since my guess is that it is around 8 years old, is there anything else this machine may need, springs etc. I am ordering battery and charger today and thought I would ask you all.

Thanks.

arnz
09-22-2008, 08:00 AM
Buy the battery first and check. Then you will find out what else you need. If everything is working fine after you put the battery in, why would you buy anything else?

Things that could go wrong : The wheels not spinning, the tray carousel not going around, a dead circuit board, knobs/control panel not working, the sweep function or the lob function not working, etc.

dman72
09-22-2008, 08:12 AM
Basically everything that's happened with mine.

I bought the machine used. I knew it needed a battery. That was easy enough. Then I discovered the ball carousel was dead due to a panel issue..so I replaced that. Now, I tried to replace the wheels that shoot the balls out because they were extremely worn, and ended up destroying one of the motors, so now I'll need to replace both, because the new motors are different and don't spin at the same RPM, and that requires soldering, which I can't do, so this machine is becoming a money pit!!

Actually I'm still doing okay money-wise relative to a new TT machine, because tennis tutor is very, eh, generous with helping you out, but if you calculate the amount of TIME devoted to this thing, and how I was really itching to use it the last 4 weeks...I'm wondering if just saving up and buying a new cheap machine from Silent Partner would have been a better choice. Yes, I would have been another $300 in the hole..but how much do you value your own personal hours at? I've spent about 6 hours on this thing already, and now I'll have to pay someone to install the motors. Oy vie!!

firstblud
09-22-2008, 09:23 AM
Basically everything that's happened with mine.

I bought the machine used. I knew it needed a battery. That was easy enough. Then I discovered the ball carousel was dead due to a panel issue..so I replaced that. Now, I tried to replace the wheels that shoot the balls out because they were extremely worn, and ended up destroying one of the motors, so now I'll need to replace both, because the new motors are different and don't spin at the same RPM, and that requires soldering, which I can't do, so this machine is becoming a money pit!!

Actually I'm still doing okay money-wise relative to a new TT machine, because tennis tutor is very, eh, generous with helping you out, but if you calculate the amount of TIME devoted to this thing, and how I was really itching to use it the last 4 weeks...I'm wondering if just saving up and buying a new cheap machine from Silent Partner would have been a better choice. Yes, I would have been another $300 in the hole..but how much do you value your own personal hours at? I've spent about 6 hours on this thing already, and now I'll have to pay someone to install the motors. Oy vie!!

that's the risk you take with these used machines... but seems like you encountered the very worst case scenario. :(

dman72
09-22-2008, 10:25 AM
that's the risk you take with these used machines... but seems like you encountered the very worst case scenario. :(

When I'm done, I'll have an almost new ball machine for under $400...but I could have gotten a new SP for $700 with a 2 year warranty and saved myself 4 weeks and about 10 hours worth of headaches.

YMMV.

Bolivian10s
09-22-2008, 12:10 PM
When I'm done, I'll have an almost new ball machine for under $400...but I could have gotten a new SP for $700 with a 2 year warranty and saved myself 4 weeks and about 10 hours worth of headaches.

YMMV.

Another option would have been to just mail the machine to the manufacture and have them thoroughly look at your machine to see exactly what you need then have them service it for you. Then turn around and sell your machine on Yab-E for $700 to 800 and then buy the SP instead.

dman72
09-22-2008, 02:15 PM
Another option would have been to just mail the machine to the manufacture and have them thoroughly look at your machine to see exactly what you need then have them service it for you. Then turn around and sell your machine on Yab-E for $700 to 800 and then buy the SP instead.

Well, I could still do that too!!