PDA

View Full Version : Recommended strings for me?

shinng
09-22-2008, 10:59 AM
i use an original wilson pro staff 6.1 classic 95sqin for the past 12 or so years. i string at 63 lb. i have always used the prince pro blend duraflex 16 gauge strings and now i'm finding out that yes, these are very durable, but does not have good playability? i did try wilson nxt max or nxt something rather (whichever has the 2 diff strings) and really did not like the fact that the strings were shedding badly. after 1 match, the tension was gone, but the darn strings would not break. very uncomfortable for me.

i am a lefty and play with lots of power and topspin, however, i need the control as well. my serve has no power, but i use a lot of spin/kick. if i use a 17 gauge, i break the strings easily so i need durable strings. i also do not want to go through the trouble of using different strings for main/crosses (or whatever the combo is). i play about 3 times per week whether usta leagues or tourneys.

i did some brief research and it seems like the best out there, even though i thought the prince pro blend worked okay for me, is the wilson nxt OS 16, gamma livewire xp16, and lux big banger alu power 16.

i hope this forum can help.
thanks!

tennisfreak15347
09-22-2008, 12:32 PM
first off, the strings you've listed are entirely different. NXT OS and Gamma livewire are multifilaments. Luxilon Big banger is a poly. Since you shred strings so fast, I suggest a nice co-poly will do the trick. I'm also assuming you have good swing-speed, since you play leagues and tournaments. To make clear, a multifilament string is composed of, of course, many fibers combined together to simulate natural gut. In general, multifilament strings can be higher powered, very comfortable, and have alot of feel. Polyester strings have little feel, low powered, durable, and can generate alot of spin if you have a developed stroke.

I suggest a nice co-poly like Signum Pro Poly Plasma, Luxilon Alu Power Fluoro, or Tecnifibre Pro Red Code. they are all good co-polys, and I think they will last you alot longer than NXT max. The IMPORTANT thing to know is that your previous set-up, Pro Blend duraflex, was a hybrid of KELVAR, and SYNTHETIC GUT. Kelvar is the stiffest thing in the world, and is dead low powered with no feel. Co-polys are not as stiff, will provide a little more feel, and slightly more power, but still very low. Another crucial thing to keep in mind is to string your poly's 5-10% lower tension than you do with synthetic gut like Prince Synthetic Gut with Duraflex.

With all that said, I just have one question for you; you strung your entire set-up at 63lbs, correct; including the Kelvar? If so, you could try any of the co-polys I suggested at the same tension, and tell me how it felt. If it wasn't too your liking, try stringing at 58lbs the next try.

shinng
10-15-2008, 12:28 PM
first off, the strings you've listed are entirely different. NXT OS and Gamma livewire are multifilaments. Luxilon Big banger is a poly. Since you shred strings so fast, I suggest a nice co-poly will do the trick. I'm also assuming you have good swing-speed, since you play leagues and tournaments. To make clear, a multifilament string is composed of, of course, many fibers combined together to simulate natural gut. In general, multifilament strings can be higher powered, very comfortable, and have alot of feel. Polyester strings have little feel, low powered, durable, and can generate alot of spin if you have a developed stroke.

I suggest a nice co-poly like Signum Pro Poly Plasma, Luxilon Alu Power Fluoro, or Tecnifibre Pro Red Code. they are all good co-polys, and I think they will last you alot longer than NXT max. The IMPORTANT thing to know is that your previous set-up, Pro Blend duraflex, was a hybrid of KELVAR, and SYNTHETIC GUT. Kelvar is the stiffest thing in the world, and is dead low powered with no feel. Co-polys are not as stiff, will provide a little more feel, and slightly more power, but still very low. Another crucial thing to keep in mind is to string your poly's 5-10% lower tension than you do with synthetic gut like Prince Synthetic Gut with Duraflex.

With all that said, I just have one question for you; you strung your entire set-up at 63lbs, correct; including the Kelvar? If so, you could try any of the co-polys I suggested at the same tension, and tell me how it felt. If it wasn't too your liking, try stringing at 58lbs the next try.

correct, i string at 63lbs no matter what string i've used, whether it is the prince duraflex or others that i've tried in the past. i really have not liked strings that lost tension quickly. the duraflex that i've used eventually loses tension, but even when it does, it's very playable to me. other strings i've used don't happen that way. at first it's great, but after a few matches, the strings become absolutely unplayable. when using duraflex, i always use the strings until it breaks; others strings don't work that way for me. i have to cut the strings before it actually breaks. hope that makes sense.

in terms of my swing, i have good racquet speed and generate lots of topspin. if i'm playing singles, i am topspin heavy concentrating more on location; if i'm playing doubles, i am going to focus more on power with a little less topspin. (i'm a lefty if that matters any)

regarding the multifilaments, poly, and co poly. it sounds like the multifilaments would be more to my liking? if the strings shread quickly, does that mean it's typically a multifilament as opposed to poly or co poly? i guess i'm not sure on which to go with.

sruckauf
10-15-2008, 12:38 PM
Head RIP Control. Has properties of both a durable type string, and a multi.

Do it.