PDA

View Full Version : Kirschbaum Proline II

SlapShot
09-22-2008, 12:12 PM
I bought a pair of used Bab Pure Storm Tours, and they came strung with Kirschbaum Proline II crossed with Pro Supex Spiralflex. Great feeling string - slightly crisper than Big Ace and still arm friendly.

The only issue is that after 7 hours of heavy hitting, it seem to have lost a fair amount of tension. Is there another poly out there with similar feel (crisp, but not harsh) that holds tension a bit better? Big Ace would be a candidate, but it's a bit more muted, and if I can stay with the crisp feel, it'd make me a very happy person.

FloridaAG
09-22-2008, 12:18 PM
I use ProLine II in a hybrid with NRG2 - I can't suggest anything better - I like the crisp feel without it being to harsh/stiff - It does lose tension and that is the problem. I get a little longer out of it than you - Basically 2 weeks of play 3-4 times a week and then it loses it

PROTENNIS63
09-22-2008, 01:33 PM
As you said, your only other alternative would be Big Ace but it is softer and more muted and it is not as stiff as Pro Line II. You can use a crisp syn. gut which you did (Spiral Flex). You can try Cyber Flash but that is more of a lux clone and will be stiffer. If you try Cyber Flash, you may need a soft syn. gut.

SlapShot
09-22-2008, 01:53 PM
As you said, your only other alternative would be Big Ace but it is softer and more muted and it is not as stiff as Pro Line II. You can use a crisp syn. gut which you did (Spiral Flex). You can try Cyber Flash but that is more of a lux clone and will be stiffer. If you try Cyber Flash, you may need a soft syn. gut.

I tried CF a couple of years back, and it's definitely stiff. It might be too much, even with good flex (62) on my frame.

If only PLII held tension better. :?

PROTENNIS63
09-22-2008, 02:10 PM
I tried CF a couple of years back, and it's definitely stiff. It might be too much, even with good flex (62) on my frame.

If only PLII held tension better. :?

yes PLII is similar to Big Ace but it does not maintain tension all too well. Have you tried Big Ace and a crisp cross (like Spiral Flex)?

scotus
09-22-2008, 02:51 PM
Pro Line II is soft but its spin potential seems overrated compared to other polys.

SlapShot
09-23-2008, 05:41 AM
Pro Line II is soft but its spin potential seems overrated compared to other polys.

With all due respect, spin is a result of the player swinging the frame. I haven't had any issues getting spin with the Kirsch or any other poly provided I'm putting a healthy cut on the ball.

smirker
09-23-2008, 07:23 AM
I bought a pair of used Bab Pure Storm Tours, and they came strung with Kirschbaum Proline II crossed with Pro Supex Spiralflex. Great feeling string - slightly crisper than Big Ace and still arm friendly.

The only issue is that after 7 hours of heavy hitting, it seem to have lost a fair amount of tension. Is there another poly out there with similar feel (crisp, but not harsh) that holds tension a bit better? Big Ace would be a candidate, but it's a bit more muted, and if I can stay with the crisp feel, it'd make me a very happy person.

Weiss cannon Scorpion or Silverstring. Both hold tension well. The Scorpion is similar to BA but a little crisper in the 1.22 and the Silverstring is a bit firmer, more like CF but not as stiff IMO. I have used BA a lot and moved onto WC strings recently as my access to BA in the UK is limited. Glad I did. BA is good but I prefer WC. Look at the reviews on TW if you don't want to take my word for it.

scotus
09-23-2008, 10:08 AM
With all due respect, spin is a result of the player swinging the frame. I haven't had any issues getting spin with the Kirsch or any other poly provided I'm putting a healthy cut on the ball.

Good for you. So you can take a low-end synthetic gut and get the exact same amount of spin that you can with Pro Line II, right? Then go ahead and use the cheapest string there is, since your superior technique makes strings a non-factor in spin generation.

Pros don't think so, and that's why most of them use the Luxilon type.

Look, all I am saying is that I am comparing Pro Line II with other Poly strings (most of them cheaper) and that I find that I can generate more spin with some of these other strings.

SlapShot
09-23-2008, 10:59 AM
Good for you. So you can take a low-end synthetic gut and get the exact same amount of spin that you can with Pro Line II, right? Then go ahead and use the cheapest string there is, since your superior technique makes strings a non-factor in spin generation.

Pros don't think so, and that's why most of them use the Luxilon type.

Look, all I am saying is that I am comparing Pro Line II with other Poly strings (most of them cheaper) and that I find that I can generate more spin with some of these other strings.

That's why I said "with all due respect", because I personally am able to get along with a lot of strings provided they have the right feel. If I'm hitting long, it's not a result of my strings as much as it is my lazy feet or slowing strokes. I use strings based on their feel and their playing aspects. No string is going to replace hard work on the courts.

I appreciate your input, but I don't share your experiences with the Kirschbaum and like the fact that my arm doesn't want to drop off after 7 hours of hitting in a weekend, hence the reason that I'd like to find something similar that doesn't lose tension and feel mushy so quickly.