PDA

View Full Version : Training (normal and weighted)

Takenobu
09-22-2008, 12:17 PM
Hi,

I've been reading a bit about weight training recently - so depending on how much you stress your muscles and their size, you can expect to rest longer the bigger they are etc.

How does weight tranining fit into the equation with respect to "normal" training, when you hear athletes doing workout 5-6 times (maybe more) a week 2-3 times a day. How do they workout so much and avoid overtraining?

I'm interested in this because I do weight training every 2nd day and my program only takes 40-50 min. The rest of the time I do nothing...

Did I miss something?

Oh I do play tennis 2-3 times a week for 1-2 hours, but from next month I won't be able to, so I really want to do some more workout...

Actually let me formulate an easy question:

"Can I do cardio (or just practice tennis) when i'm resting/recovering from weight training?"

JRstriker12
09-22-2008, 01:49 PM
Hi,

I've been reading a bit about weight training recently - so depending on how much you stress your muscles and their size, you can expect to rest longer the bigger they are etc.

How does weight tranining fit into the equation with respect to "normal" training, when you hear athletes doing workout 5-6 times (maybe more) a week 2-3 times a day. How do they workout so much and avoid overtraining?

I'm interested in this because I do weight training every 2nd day and my program only takes 40-50 min. The rest of the time I do nothing...

Did I miss something?

Oh I do play tennis 2-3 times a week for 1-2 hours, but from next month I won't be able to, so I really want to do some more workout...

Actually let me formulate an easy question:

"Can I do cardio (or just practice tennis) when i'm resting/recovering from weight training?"

The simple answer is that they set thier training schedule to avoid over training by buikding in rest periods and vary intensity according to that schedule. Another thing is that most top-tier athletes can take more punishment than the overage weekend warrior.

In setting a good schedule for training, most athletes have an "out of season" period, where they push hard and try to increase gains, and a "out of season" period where they do a maintenance workout to keep those gains.

Since you won't be able to play tennis in the uncoming months, treat it like a off-season. Maybe do weights 2-3X a week and mix in some cardio and sprint training on non-weight lifitng days. Also put in a few days for rest and recovery.

Takenobu
09-22-2008, 02:05 PM
So most of the in-season training is pure maintenance?

Sonds like a good idea, thanks!

JRstriker12
09-22-2008, 02:13 PM
So most of the in-season training is pure maintenance?

Sonds like a good idea, thanks!

For the most part.....

Depends on how much you play. It's kind of hard to perform your best if you are recovering for a very heavy workout the day before.

If you are a lower level pro and lose in the first round, you may have an additional week or so to do heavier work outs and recover before you next match.

Takenobu
09-22-2008, 02:20 PM
So for normal people like me, who only play like 2-3 times a week on a level not being close to any on the ATP tour, could do more workout?

Maybe my problem is just that i'm not sore from my workout the day after. Could being a 'little' sore the following day a good guideline as to if i'm using enough weight? At the moment it doesn't seem like i'm using as much as I should on all my 3x15... maybe I should try to up the weight and lower the reps a little? I'm still a beginner though :D - 3x15 @ 5 kg hammer curls (as an example) is my limit :oops:

JRstriker12
09-22-2008, 02:39 PM
So for normal people like me, who only play like 2-3 times a week on a level not being close to any on the ATP tour, could do more workout?

Maybe my problem is just that i'm not sore from my workout the day after. Could being a 'little' sore the following day a good guideline as to if i'm using enough weight? At the moment it doesn't seem like i'm using as much as I should on all my 3x15... maybe I should try to up the weight and lower the reps a little? I'm still a beginner though :D - 3x15 @ 5 kg hammer curls (as an example) is my limit :oops:

It's up to you.

I've been slacking, but I've lifted 2-3x a week and played tennis 2x a week before. If I have a USTA match that counts, I usually don't lift or do an intense workout for 48 hours before the match. If I'm playing a friend or just hitting, I might work out the day before just just know I'm going to be sore as heck the following day.

I'm not a personal trainer, so I can't give you reps/weights, but personally, I tend to work slightly heavier weights and go for 3 sets of 10 reps or 4 or 5 sets of 6 or 8 reps. IMHO - 15+ rep range builds more stamina. It's kind of a waste to do 15 reps if you are trying to build strength or muscle.

Takenobu
09-22-2008, 02:43 PM
Thanks for your input though. I think i'll add some more weight and try the 3x10.

Thanks again.

coachdavidh
09-25-2008, 11:12 AM
I've got a bunch of training articles and ideas on my site, and it can be downloaded and printed off if you want. It doesn't cost anything, its just a service. It may help you out a bit.

XL Athlete (http://www.xlathlete.com)

Dave

Takenobu
09-25-2008, 01:44 PM
Thanks, i'll have a look!