PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Pro Stringers

drummerdan
09-22-2008, 12:36 PM
I posted this in the stringing machines section but it really should probably go here. So, here it is:

I've played and been around tennis for 37-38 years (yeah, I'm kinda old - 48 :) ) and have been stringing my own racquets, and for a few others, for 25+ years and am thinking about going into it more seriously.

My questions are directed to pro stringers; to those who string for $, full or part-time:

1) How many racquets are you stringing per week/month/year?
2) What would you do differently if you could start again?
3) Do you have a web site? If so, has it helped biz? How? Are you doing many by mail?
4) Are you certified? Has it helped your biz?
5) Do you regret the machine you bought for your biz? Did you upgrade?
6) What things do you dislike about your stringing biz? What about the things you like?

Any other thoughts you might have would be welcomed.

Thanks!!!

tennisfreak15347
09-22-2008, 12:57 PM
I'm not necessarily a pro-stringer, but a good thing to do is to string for highschoolers for cheap, as to promote your stringing business. People will hear about you and then you can gradually work your price up; post ads at the public tennis courts, and string for your local tennis clinic/ talk to tennis coaches. Tell them that you will string for a certain amount of money, lets say XX, and have them charge XX+5, to give them a little money for themselves. As for me, I'm currently working on getting a chance to string for my tennis clinic; I already got my high school.

fishuuuuu
09-22-2008, 02:30 PM
I don't mean to rain on your parade, but I've strung in pro-shops, tournaments, all around ...

Stringing isn't a huge cash cow, and you lose a lot of time and money on overheads. But to answer some of your questions, while I still worked as a stringer part time, I strung upwards of at least a hundred racquets a month with endless amounts to do later. Being certified means nothing to most, but it is something to talk about to the old league ladies/gents who want to be "in the know" about every advantage they can get. My advice on machines is to get the best you can possibly afford, that allows you to string well and as quickly as possible.

My personal recommendation for machines to a small time startup stringing op are stand-up crank machines, they transport well and are relatively cheap. If you have some money to spill, between the Star3, Prince 3000, and Aria I had a definite preference to the 3000 for speed.

drummerdan
09-22-2008, 03:14 PM
I don't mean to rain on your parade, but I've strung in pro-shops, tournaments, all around ...

Stringing isn't a huge cash cow, and you lose a lot of time and money on overheads. But to answer some of your questions, while I still worked as a stringer part time, I strung upwards of at least a hundred racquets a month with endless amounts to do later. Being certified means nothing to most, but it is something to talk about to the old league ladies/gents who want to be "in the know" about every advantage they can get. My advice on machines is to get the best you can possibly afford, that allows you to string well and as quickly as possible.

My personal recommendation for machines to a small time startup stringing op are stand-up crank machines, they transport well and are relatively cheap. If you have some money to spill, between the Star3, Prince 3000, and Aria I had a definite preference to the 3000 for speed.

Thanks for the info. I'm not looking to do this as full-time or a way to make a million! No, I have a good job that pays the bills. I am looking at this as just additional income. I am just trying to decide if this is worth the time and effort to "step it up" a bit.

I'm looking at an Alpha Axis Pro as the machine I would get. If things go well, I can upgrade to something else later. Otherwise, if I need to sell, it looks like it holds its value pretty well as there are very few, if any, used ones available as it's pretty well regarded.

BTW, did you always work for someone or did you ever do this out of your home? How did you get your biz? Did it cut severely into your "free" time?

Thanks for your help!

Valjean
09-22-2008, 04:31 PM
Your time isn't your own; this needs to be said. You're at the mercy of who brings what in, when they want it, and when you can have it to them. The standard is 24-hour turnaround, too. Better have a lot of free time, and not too many claims on it, to do well. Got a lot of evenings free? How's the weekend shape up, too???

zapvor
09-22-2008, 06:46 PM
it can be complicated i think. for example, aside from jsut stringing you may have to replace grommets, put in teflon tubing, and other related things.