PDA

View Full Version : Wilson Sensation

Dwhit
09-22-2008, 02:29 PM
I'm thinking of buying a reel of the stuff, and i'm just looking for some feedback? I imagine playability is a given, but i'm concerned about it's durability. Anyone's input will be much appreciated,

Thanks, Dan

Stan
09-22-2008, 02:33 PM
Sensation is average at best in all categories, including durability.

b0oMeR
09-22-2008, 02:39 PM
I hate wilson sensation. It's attributes are average and nothing special, overpriced too.

You should get a reel of technifibre pro red code. That is a very nice string.

However your better off using prince sythentic gut than sensation.

Dwhit
09-22-2008, 02:43 PM
I hate wilson sensation. It's attributes are average and nothing special, overpriced too.

You should get a reel of technifibre pro red code. That is a very nice string.

However your better off using prince sythentic gut than sensation.

Wow, really weird! I was weighing up whether to buy sensation or pro red code, and without knowing, you suggested red code. Thanks for your help,

Dan

tennisfreak15347
09-22-2008, 02:51 PM
pro redcode and sensation are two entirely different strings. If you need me to go over why they are different, just ask. I've played with sensation as my first- string, as it came factory-strung in my k-six-two(itching to buy a new racquet) and it was decent in the first 8 hours, then it went completely bad. All the shock went into my arm, giving me major TE, and it got really loose.

Dwhit
09-22-2008, 03:09 PM
pro redcode and sensation are two entirely different strings. If you need me to go over why they are different, just ask. I've played with sensation as my first- string, as it came factory-strung in my k-six-two(itching to buy a new racquet) and it was decent in the first 8 hours, then it went completely bad. All the shock went into my arm, giving me major TE, and it got really loose.

I knew they were very different strings, but i haven't ever used Sensation, and although i used to play with Pro Redcode 2 years or so ago, i can't remember exactly how it plays. From what i remember, Pro Redcode was fairly durable, and although a fairly good string, didn't provide maximum feel. How would you rate Pro Redcode?

Thanks for your input,

Dan

09-22-2008, 03:21 PM
I'm thinking of buying a reel of the stuff, and i'm just looking for some feedback? I imagine playability is a given, but i'm concerned about it's durability. Anyone's input will be much appreciated,

Thanks, Dan

I used sensation for years, trying other things and then coming back. I think the durability and playability are slightly above average, but what used to bring me back was that in my experience it didn't drop off as far and fast as the others I tried like nrg2 and head powergel (or something like that). I liked them both better for a couple of outings, but they fell too far and fast after that. Sensation clearly held up better for me stringing at 59-60 lbs in a 102 head prestige. I've been using over the last year in a hybrid with BBO crosses. This summer I've been trying some Pro Supex products.

Also look to my thread about sensation haters being dampner users.
Seems by far most of the ones who appreciate sensation don't use dampners though.
Do you prefer a dampner? Seems to matter with this string.

Dwhit
09-22-2008, 03:29 PM
I used sensation for years, trying other things and then coming back. I think the durability and playability are slightly above average, but what used to bring me back was that in my experience it didn't drop off as far and fast as the others I tried like nrg2 and head powergel (or something like that). I liked them both better for a couple of outings, but they fell too far and fast after that. Sensation clearly held up better for me stringing at 59-60 lbs in a 102 head prestige. I've been using over the last year in a hybrid with BBO crosses. This summer I've been trying some Pro Supex products.

Also look to my thread about sensation haters being dampner users.
Seems by far most of the ones who appreciate sensation don't use dampners though.
Do you prefer a dampner? Seems to matter with this string.

No i don't use a dampner, I really like to feel the strings. Thanks for your feedback, out of interest, have you used Pro Redcode?

Dan

tennisfreak15347
09-22-2008, 03:30 PM
I knew they were very different strings, but i haven't ever used Sensation, and although i used to play with Pro Redcode 2 years or so ago, i can't remember exactly how it plays. From what i remember, Pro Redcode was fairly durable, and although a fairly good string, didn't provide maximum feel. How would you rate Pro Redcode?

Thanks for your input,

Dan

pro redcode was to my liking, although I'd prefer it in a hybrid with gamma syn. gut to get more feel. Overall good for my game, and I'm going to switch to this after my synthetic gut breaks. Overall a 7.5/10 string. plus it looks cool, :)

09-22-2008, 03:32 PM
No i don't use a dampner, I really like to feel the strings. Thanks for your feedback, out of interest, have you used Pro Redcode?

Dan

No, but some of the chatter is getting me curious. I'll probably pick up a set with my next order just to check it out.

Right now I'm playing a Big Ace full job and really liking it after one outing.

Dwhit
09-22-2008, 03:33 PM
pro redcode was to my liking, although I'd prefer it in a hybrid with gamma syn. gut to get more feel. Overall good for my game, and I'm going to switch to this after my synthetic gut breaks. Overall a 7.5/10 string. plus it looks cool, :)

SOLD! thanks for your help,

Dan

b0oMeR
09-22-2008, 05:02 PM
Try pro red code in a full string bed. I don't like to poly pro red code.

orcygoodness
09-22-2008, 06:14 PM
I have had a couple of Sensation jobs. The first was great, good feel and held up pretty well. Latest job was disappointing - fine at first but went dead very quickly. Strung at 58 this last time, previously I used 55. Will try it again but was unimpressed with my latest job.

b0oMeR
09-22-2008, 06:23 PM
The wilson sensation is just a budget string.

There are so many strings that are better at its price I dont think its worth it.

steve d
09-22-2008, 07:07 PM
I have never used Sensation. But last summer I strung up Sensation in a 14 year olds racket 23 times in 68 days.

Granted, the 14 year old is a big-hitting tournament kid. But the father of the kid eventually saw the light and switched to a poly hybrid. So I would be a little suspect if you are a string-breaker or hit against powerful players.

Il Mostro
09-22-2008, 07:11 PM
If you are very quiet, and listen carefully, you can hear Sensation sucking. It is truly garbage IMO. And, I am not anti-Wilson. I think Reaction is a great string. If you want what Sensation promises, try Excel Premium (2008).

superstition
09-22-2008, 09:01 PM
NRG-2 is a far superior string. Sensation is the worst multi I've tried.

FloridaAG
09-23-2008, 05:22 AM
Sensation is ok at best and breaks very quickly -

09-23-2008, 04:35 PM
NRG-2 is a far superior string. Sensation is the worst multi I've tried.

What level do u usually play against?
do u use a dampner?

tennisfreak15347
09-23-2008, 04:44 PM
If you are very quiet, and listen carefully, you can hear Sensation sucking. It is truly garbage IMO. And, I am not anti-Wilson. I think Reaction is a great string. If you want what Sensation promises, try Excel Premium (2008).

:lol: I've recently bought a pack of Xcel Premium 2008 because of you, I sure hope you were right, :twisted:

Il Mostro
09-23-2008, 06:31 PM
:lol: I've recently bought a pack of Xcel Premium 2008 because of you, I sure hope you were right, :twisted:

Grab a pack of Xcel Power and give it a try, too. Still soft feeling but with more pop. I am loving both of these on my TF 310's. Did you get the 17 gauge?

tennisfreak15347
09-23-2008, 06:32 PM
Grab a pack of Xcel Power and give it a try, too. Still soft feeling but with more pop. I am loving both of these on my TF 310's. Did you get the 17 gauge?

I got the16g 2008 version. I'm looking for a low powered multi with good/decent spin. sadly, I still have my tweener racquet until the spring tennis season.

Il Mostro
09-23-2008, 07:15 PM
I got the16g 2008 version. I'm looking for a low powered multi with good/decent spin. sadly, I still have my tweener racquet until the spring tennis season.

I'd be interested in your feedback on the 16g -- I have only played the 17. Noticeably less power than both X-1 and Xcel Power. No problems working spin with it. Hope you have good results.

nCode747
09-23-2008, 07:41 PM
get both and string hybrides

skyman1700
09-23-2008, 07:49 PM
go with NXT 16 or NXT Max or NXT OS instead...

ichibanosaru
09-23-2008, 11:32 PM

Good one... :)

christo
09-23-2008, 11:49 PM
Sensation is not sensational, kind of rubbery and muted, trampolines badly, PSG is far superior, probaly the best basic string out there.

Hot Sauce
09-23-2008, 11:49 PM
Wow, really weird! I was weighing up whether to buy sensation or pro red code, and without knowing, you suggested red code. Thanks for your help,

Dan

Red Code, hands down. They can't be compared because the Sensation is a much lower end string.

superstition
09-24-2008, 12:29 AM
Sensation is not sensational, kind of rubbery and muted, trampolines badly, PSG is far superior, probaly the best basic string out there.
Not much of a comparison between a mushy multi and a stiff synthetic. I haven't tried the non-kevlar version or an extremely thin gauge, but 16 gauge is absolutely terrible in my opinion. I cut out a fresh string job of PSGD after hitting with it for five minutes.

Someone asked my level. I'm a 4.5, but usually play 4.0 because of injuries. I'd be better if I could play more regularly.

Stannie
09-24-2008, 12:49 AM
IMO, Sensation > Xcel > Reaction

It's a pretty decent cross string. But I have strung full sets on racquets like nPro Opens (100 sq in. faces with a pretty open pattern). I never liked a full job of multifiliament on a 16 main racquet, too much trampoline.

folsfolsfols
05-25-2010, 04:30 PM
i like the wilson sensation. i just bought a set for the crosses. i dont know how durable it is yet but what i like about the string is that it is pretty low powered. u can even string it tighter (60-64)
lbs and it won't lose playability or make the board feel boardy like the psgd or the head rip control (which are great strings too)

folsfolsfols
05-25-2010, 04:32 PM
..."or make the racquet feel boardy"...
cant edit?