PDA

View Full Version : Why is it bad to string natural gut on both mains and crosses?

martini1
09-22-2008, 07:42 PM
It seems like a lot of the natural gut users string it on the mains only and then something else on the crosses. Is it bad to do it on both? What if I string it on both and then use string savers?

thefederman
09-22-2008, 07:43 PM
it's not bad, actually many players swear by full gut. it's just that many people including myself hybrid with poly's so they can get the power and feel of the gut with the control of the poly

jim e
09-22-2008, 07:48 PM
It seems like a lot of the natural gut users string it on the mains only and then something else on the crosses. Is it bad to do it on both? What if I string it on both and then use string savers?

I string my racquets will all VS gut (no string savers). I also string others with all gut as well, so it all depends on your preferences.

0range
09-22-2008, 07:49 PM

Isn't it the other way around? some poly string on the mains and natural gut on the crosses.

baek57
09-22-2008, 08:16 PM
i put something else on the crosses for economical purposes. full gut jobs break the bank, hybriding slows the bleeding.

bluescreen
09-22-2008, 08:22 PM
Isn't it the other way around? some poly string on the mains and natural gut on the crosses.

u can do it either way. most people put polys in the mains when hybriding with synthetic or multi, but a lot of players put gut in the mains. i think when hybriding with gut, it deserves to be in the mains. the poly crosses r only there for added durability.

martini1
09-22-2008, 08:39 PM
i put something else on the crosses for economical purposes. full gut jobs break the bank, hybriding slows the bleeding.

I have yet to break a string (knock on wood) and only string 1-2x max a year. May be trying full gut on my next string job is not a bad idea...:):):)

baek57
09-22-2008, 08:50 PM
I have yet to break a string (knock on wood) and only string 1-2x max a year. May be trying full gut on my next string job is not a bad idea...:):):)

yes if i broke strings twice a year max, i would definitely be using full gut jobs.

[d]ragon
09-22-2008, 09:06 PM

yes i broke strings twice a year max, i would definitely be using full gut jobs.

what ar you two using, kevlar? :)

Tennisguy777
09-22-2008, 09:22 PM
It's bad for your wallet.

superstition
09-22-2008, 10:01 PM
It's bad for your wallet.
If you break strings. If not, it holds it tension and lasts longer than synthetics like Sensation. I've found that 16 gauge VS lasts considerably longer than 17.

martini1
09-22-2008, 10:02 PM
ragon;2733065']what ar you two using, kevlar? :)

Actually I did until last month, I am testing some syn gut/poly strings now.

AndrewD
09-22-2008, 11:32 PM
If you break strings. If not, it holds it tension and lasts longer than synthetics like Sensation. I've found that 16 gauge VS lasts considerably longer than 17.

True and gut seems to last quite a lot longer these days than it used to. I'm not on the wrong side of 40 yet but when I first hit with natural gut, 20-odd years ago, you had to be very careful to keep even the slightest hint of moisture away from the strings. Now, while they're still more fragile than synthetics, they do seem to be a lot more durable than before.

Magnus_CA
09-23-2008, 12:38 PM

Superstition - How long would you say a full 16G VS string job should stay playable in an open string pattern? I'm not a string breaker and I play about 10 hours a week alternating between 2 racquets.

I've heard you should get your racquet restrung every 3 months no matter how much you play. However the cost to support that habit would come in at just under $400 a year. I'd like to stay at or under $200/year.

supertrex
09-23-2008, 07:58 PM
its really not that expensive if your stringing your own racqet.

Most pay $25 - $30 for string Job. thats not even a high class Gut string.
with High class prolly $50 - $60

Now if you have your own Stringing machine High End Gut is also $25 to $30 ( without labor cost ) depending on where u get it from.

I just got my String Machine so I can start using FULL Gut job. since I use 63 tension. I need Gut.

u can get a $130 String Machine and do whatever u want.

baek57
09-23-2008, 08:36 PM
its really not that expensive if your stringing your own racqet.

Most pay $25 - $30 for string Job. thats not even a high class Gut string.
with High class prolly $50 - $60

Now if you have your own Stringing machine High End Gut is also $25 to $30 ( without labor cost ) depending on where u get it from.

I just got my String Machine so I can start using FULL Gut job. since I use 63 tension. I need Gut.

u can get a $130 String Machine and do whatever u want.

lets say you break strings once every two weeks, which is pretty easy to do. if you string your own racquets and use the 25 gut thats still 650/year on strings. suppose you hybrid it with something cheap like gosen. you just cut your costs in half.

0range
09-23-2008, 08:39 PM
^^^ yeah but getting a string machine for $130 only? Most of them cost over a thousand bucks right? at least the decent ones...

baek57
09-23-2008, 08:49 PM
^^^ yeah but getting a string machine for $130 only? Most of them cost over a thousand bucks right? at least the decent ones...

the more expensive machines just give you more bells and whistles which can save you time if you are stringing a lot of racquets. if you are just stringing for yourself, a simple drop weight is sufficient, and the entry level machines are around 130.

teppeiahn1
09-23-2008, 09:40 PM
u can do it either way. most people put polys in the mains when hybriding with synthetic or multi, but a lot of players put gut in the mains. i think when hybriding with gut, it deserves to be in the mains. the poly crosses r only there for added durability.

The mains are the ones that should be braking 1st. If you put a soft string (gut) on the mains, you should have another soft string because it will bite on eachother. Now if you poly on the crosses, that will break fast, but other way around, the gut wont do much damage to the polys if its in the crosses.

superstition
09-24-2008, 12:48 AM
Superstition - How long would you say a full 16G VS string job should stay playable in an open string pattern?
I can't tell you. I use fairly dense string patterns (not super dense like some Head models) and usually small racquet heads.

Try 16 and if you break it too soon go up to 15L. There is a 16 gauge gut from another brand that is actually thicker than 15 gauge normally is.

tennisdad65
09-24-2008, 11:50 AM

I got my klippermate for $130 and string full natural gut with it. :) How long the gut lasts depends on whether I am using 15L or 16, and the tension used.

supertrex
09-24-2008, 11:58 AM
I guess not everyone knows the sercet still.

Gamma x-2 only $130 Killpermate $130 or cheaper.

This machines are durable enough to string your own. and some of your friends sticks also.

You can use Nat Gut 15 or 16 on Mains and Forten 17 on crosses that will last u also.

soft Hybrid setup and will bite the ball, for more spin. woot:

Really you wont even feel the difference of string unless you really know how to play tennis.

0range
09-24-2008, 04:24 PM
I got my klippermate for $130 and string full natural gut with it. :) How long the gut lasts depends on whether I am using 15L or 16, and the tension used.

Wow 130 eh!? Is it easy to use? Does it last long (is the machine solid/breaks easily)??

I did think that it'd be nice to have my own string machine but since I thought it'd probably cost more than $1000 to get one I never really researched...

appppppppple
09-24-2008, 04:55 PM

kind of expensive if you keep breaking the strings

mctennis
10-06-2008, 09:21 PM
Who told you this lie? I've used straight gut for years without any problems. Love a full gut strung racquet. If it's not gut all you're hitting with is plastic.

ls206
10-07-2008, 03:10 AM
Could I ask for some gut advice?
- is any gut better than no gut? I know there's some really cheap (and prob,crap) gut out there, but if I got some klip 15g gut would I still get great feel from the thick gauge?
- To save money I was thinking of sticking a multi in the crosses, would tecnifibre multifeel mix well with natural gut or do I want to be looking at something better like Biphase or in between like RIP control?

cheers :)

BergTennis03
10-07-2008, 07:08 AM

when you add poly to the mains it really adds no durability. it actually bites into the main strings more and the strings will pop just as fast if not faster

poly in the mains holds better

all poly, if your brave enough to use it, is where it's really at

ls206
10-07-2008, 04:14 PM
Could I ask for some gut advice?
- is any gut better than no gut? I know there's some really cheap (and prob,crap) gut out there, but if I got some klip 15g gut would I still get great feel from the thick gauge?
- To save money I was thinking of sticking a multi in the crosses, would tecnifibre multifeel mix well with natural gut or do I want to be looking at something better like Biphase or in between like RIP control?

cheers :)

any opinions guys? (and girls)