PDA

View Full Version : I hit with a lot of topspin, heavy hitter

blakesq
09-23-2008, 07:39 AM
And, I just ordered my first stringing machine, a klippermate. Now, I need to find some strings to try out for my Head Agassi Radical. I hit with a lot of topspin, i seem to break strings about once a month. Any ideas on what strings I should buy, thanks in advance!

blakesq

NovakWannabe
09-23-2008, 08:38 AM
Psgo? Psgd?

drummerdan
09-23-2008, 08:55 AM
Congrats! I've had my Klippermate for 24+ years and it's still going great!!

My advice, read lots of reviews of string, ask opinions and just try out several strings that look good to you. Spend a few bucks on different sets and get out there and hit!!!

Variety is the key...

blakesq
09-23-2008, 09:30 AM
I don't understand.

Psgo? Psgd?

NovakWannabe
09-23-2008, 09:40 AM
Prince Synthetic Gut Original or with Duraflex

ls206
09-23-2008, 10:59 AM
Would you mind explaining why you'd recommend the prince syn gut?
(sorry if the way I asked sounds rude, it's not meant to! :) just curious)

tennisfreak15347
09-23-2008, 11:02 AM
Would you mind explaining why you'd recommend the prince syn gut?
(sorry if the way I asked sounds rude, it's not meant to! :) just curious)

PSGD is a great string; it's a low-powered string with good spin and control; what I need to tame my tweener racquet until I get another in the spring.

baek57
09-23-2008, 11:06 AM
psg is just a standard synthetic string. pretty average and low cost.

T10s747
09-23-2008, 01:40 PM
And, I just ordered my first stringing machine, a klippermate. Now, I need to find some strings to try out for my Head Agassi Radical. I hit with a lot of topspin, i seem to break strings about once a month. Any ideas on what strings I should buy, thanks in advance!

blakesq

I'm sorry but if you hit a heavy ball with a lot of topspin, you would be breaking strings every hour not every month. Don't flatter yourself. If you want spin and durability, try the hexagonal polys- PolyStar Turbo, Poly Hextreme, or ALU Rough.

ronalditop
09-23-2008, 03:04 PM
one question, i was using wilson sensation 16 at 59lb. they broke and i change to psgd 17 at 58. now i feel that it has too much power, and less feel than before. how much should i raise the tension to get more control and feel?
my raqcuet is a LM prestige mp 18x20

ls206
09-23-2008, 03:22 PM
I'm sorry but if you hit a heavy ball with a lot of topspin, you would be breaking strings every hour not every month. Don't flatter yourself. If you want spin and durability, try the hexagonal polys- PolyStar Turbo, Poly Hextreme, or ALU Rough.

dude...for all you know he could play 1hr of tennis a month...
He was providing some more info to help us help him, not to show off.

[K]aotic
09-23-2008, 03:24 PM
correct. 10 char

PROTENNIS63
09-23-2008, 04:08 PM
T10s747 is correct.

ronalditop
09-23-2008, 04:39 PM
one question, i was using wilson sensation 16 at 59lb. they broke and i change to psgd 17 at 58. now i feel that it has too much power, and less feel than before. how much should i raise the tension to get more control and feel?

anyone can help me?

Stannie
09-24-2008, 01:05 AM
Higher tension. Whenever I just want to hit with syn gut on my racquet, I string it at 64, when my normal poly/multi blend is strung at 60.

wyutani
09-24-2008, 01:34 AM
Technifibre x-0ne biphase, the best.

T10s747
09-24-2008, 06:11 AM

Yeah add 2 lbs to 60 and go from there. There's not a hugh difference between the two strings. If you want lower power, try a low powered poly- Supersmash, Poly Plasma. Do you play on red clay or hardcourt?

blakesq
09-24-2008, 06:17 AM
Is T102747 a blowhard with self-esteem issues, or has he made a decent string recommendation? Thanks.

09-24-2008, 07:42 AM
Is T102747 a blowhard with self-esteem issues, or has he made a decent string recommendation? Thanks.

People make a lot of assumptions. Sometimes we have to on here, like I don't think you gave the head size for your stick?
I did raise my eyebrows that you only break once a month, but it is all relative. I don't break often either, as there are many issues like I play dubs mostly, so I volley more than I get the big brushing strokes.
Also I think having a heavy spin serve is the biggest factor in breaking strings, even if they end up breaking on a groundstroke. How often do you play and what is your serve like?

I would recommend Big Ace and Cyberflash for polys which should give good durability and long playability. Doing a hybrid with the prince syn would be good too.

blakesq
09-24-2008, 08:00 AM
Thanks 5263,

I play almost exclusively doubles and rotate play among 3 raquets. When I do play singles, I break strings more often. My racquet(s) are: head agassi radical, 107 sq in head size. My first serve is a heavy flat serve, second serve is a heavy spin serve. I play doubles 2-3 times a week.

People make a lot of assumptions. Sometimes we have to on here, like I don't think you gave the head size for your stick?
I did raise my eyebrows that you only break once a month, but it is all relative. I don't break often either, as there are many issues like I play dubs mostly, so I volley more than I get the big brushing strokes.
Also I think having a heavy spin serve is the biggest factor in breaking strings, even if they end up breaking on a groundstroke. How often do you play and what is your serve like?

I would recommend Big Ace and Cyberflash for polys which should give good durability and long playability. Doing a hybrid with the prince syn would be good too.

ronalditop
09-24-2008, 11:40 AM
Higher tension. Whenever I just want to hit with syn gut on my racquet, I string it at 64, when my normal poly/multi blend is strung at 60.

thats true. my first string was fxp 17 and i strung it at 60. i couldnt get any power, so I got to change it to 55. but in those times i didnt hit as hard as i hit now.

ronalditop
09-24-2008, 11:41 AM
Yeah add 2 lbs to 60 and go from there. There's not a hugh difference between the two strings. If you want lower power, try a low powered poly- Supersmash, Poly Plasma. Do you play on red clay or hardcourt?

i play on both. i think i gonna follow your advice and add 2 pounds.

09-24-2008, 01:18 PM
Thanks 5263,

I play almost exclusively doubles and rotate play among 3 raquets. When I do play singles, I break strings more often. My racquet(s) are: head agassi radical, 107 sq in head size. My first serve is a heavy flat serve, second serve is a heavy spin serve. I play doubles 2-3 times a week.

See, now it makes much more sense, as playing dubs and rotating thru 3 sticks will really reduce the breakage, especially along with a flatter first serve.
I think you might really like Big Ace in dubs for precision and spin. I love volleying with it!

2nd_Serve
09-24-2008, 03:54 PM
PSGD would not work. Since he is a heavy topspin player, he would go best with a poly, that would compliment his spin.

Blue Gear
Cyberflash
Cyber Ppower
Big Ace all have great spin. Try some.

[K]aotic
09-24-2008, 04:55 PM
PSGD would not work. Since he is a heavy topspin player, he would go best with a poly, that would compliment his spin.

Blue Gear
Cyberflash
Cyber Ppower
Big Ace all have great spin. Try some.
wrong. he breaks strings once a month which means he isn't hitting as hard as he thinks he is. any multifilament will be fine.