PDA

View Full Version : Name This String!

NovakWannabe
09-23-2008, 08:41 AM
OK, let me tell you my situation:

Yesterday my coach told me poly was a ****** string and I shouldn't be using it. I started using it after my strings died really fast (within a week or two). I don't necessarily break strings, they just die on me fast (I think it is because I hit with a lot of topspin). My friend then reccomended poly. I don't think it was a bad pack to blame the dying strings, because that has happened with Wilson Stamina and NXT.

My coach recommended me a textured string called Topspin that comes in a 15L gauge. First off, what string is this, because Topspin Cyberflash and Cyberpower don't come in 15L, and second (once we figure out which string), how does it play?

tennisdarren
09-23-2008, 08:46 AM
Prince Topspin comes in 15L. I typically get about 1-2 hours out of it before it breaks. But I am a string breaker.
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACPRINCE-T15.html

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/feedback.html?pcode=T15

drummerdan
09-23-2008, 08:50 AM
My guess is that since your coach doesn't like poly, he's probably refering to Prince Topspin. It's is an old string but there are those who still like it. It has a rough feel when you string it and it's supossed to give you more bite. I've tried it a long time ago and it was ok. Not a bad string, not great.

NovakWannabe
09-23-2008, 09:17 AM
My guess is that since your coach doesn't like poly, he's probably refering to Prince Topspin. It's is an old string but there are those who still like it. It has a rough feel when you string it and it's supossed to give you more bite. I've tried it a long time ago and it was ok. Not a bad string, not great.

OK, that makes sense. My coach is sponsored by Prince after all. :)

drummerdan
09-23-2008, 09:20 AM
My coach is sponsored by Prince after all. :)

I'm sure that has nothing to do with it!... :wink:

NovakWannabe
09-23-2008, 09:24 AM
Are there any other strings I should consider?

drummerdan
09-23-2008, 09:31 AM

Wow, that's an open-ended question and one that only you can answer. Read about different kinds of strings and pick a few to try out. I picked up a lot of information on strings from stringforum.net. If you string your own racquets (you should be!), experiment! If not, start!! You can save tons of money and, with practice, you can get your racquets exactly the way you want them.

NovakWannabe
09-24-2008, 09:01 AM
Wow, that's an open-ended question and one that only you can answer. Read about different kinds of strings and pick a few to try out. I picked up a lot of information on strings from stringforum.net. If you string your own racquets (you should be!), experiment! If not, start!! You can save tons of money and, with practice, you can get your racquets exactly the way you want them.

Sorry about that... :oops: I should have said what types of strings should I consider: gut, synthetic gut, multifilament, or more forgiving poly. Until my coach told me poly was a ****** string (that's really what he said) I was actually liking it. I had ALU Power hybrided with Sensation in a MG Radical Mid+. I asked my friend about Prince Topspin (he has an O3 White), and he said it wasn't that good. He isn't a string breaker and hits the ball pretty flat. I'm somehow tempted to go to a soft poly... :confused:

drummerdan
09-24-2008, 10:17 AM
Sorry about that... :oops: I should have said what types of strings should I consider: gut, synthetic gut, multifilament, or more forgiving poly. Until my coach told me poly was a ****** string (that's really what he said) I was actually liking it. I had ALU Power hybrided with Sensation in a MG Radical Mid+. I asked my friend about Prince Topspin (he has an O3 White), and he said it wasn't that good. He isn't a string breaker and hits the ball pretty flat. I'm somehow tempted to go to a soft poly... :confused:

Frankly, the results you have are more important than what the coach says is or isn't a good string. Also, "good" is very subjective and it depends on your style and tendacies.

If you were liking the poly, stick to it. There are "softer" polys out there. If you are curently playing matches that count, stay with what you know. Then, when you have some time to experiment, try out a few different strings that you mentioned and different tensions. It never hurts to look for every edge you can. Read different string reviews and just try different things.

Good luck!!

SteveI
09-24-2008, 10:37 AM

If you like the feel of a Poly, maybe try a softer poly with good tension holding ratings. Polys in general do not hold tension that well, but there are ones that hold tension ok. Many folks like the fact that polys seem to lock in and have less string movement. TP CyberFlash is a very nice string IMHO and a good place to start.

Good luck.. there are way too many nice strings out there.. and then you can also hybrid... :-)..play with tension.. etc.

Steve

ag200boy
09-24-2008, 11:00 AM
i owuld try pro supex big ace

number.432
09-24-2008, 11:40 AM
Prince Topspin comes in 15L. I typically get about 1-2 hours out of it before it breaks. But I am a string breaker.
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACPRINCE-T15.html

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/feedback.html?pcode=T15

Do you use it full job or hybrid? If hybrid what is your cross string, tension? I have a few of these coming my way. really anxious to try them out.

NovakWannabe
09-24-2008, 05:13 PM
If you like the feel of a Poly, maybe try a softer poly with good tension holding ratings. Polys in general do not hold tension that well, but there are ones that hold tension ok. Many folks like the fact that polys seem to lock in and have less string movement. TP CyberFlash is a very nice string IMHO and a good place to start.

Good luck.. there are way too many nice strings out there.. and then you can also hybrid... :-)..play with tension.. etc.

Steve

In a full set or hybrid? I use a MG Radical Mid+, so what tension should I have? FYI I was interested in the 17 gauge.

appppppppple
09-24-2008, 05:16 PM
OK, let me tell you my situation:

Yesterday my coach told me poly was a ****** string and I shouldn't be using it. I started using it after my strings died really fast (within a week or two). I don't necessarily break strings, they just die on me fast (I think it is because I hit with a lot of topspin). My friend then reccomended poly. I don't think it was a bad pack to blame the dying strings, because that has happened with Wilson Stamina and NXT.

My coach recommended me a textured string called Topspin that comes in a 15L gauge. First off, what string is this, because Topspin Cyberflash and Cyberpower don't come in 15L, and second (once we figure out which string), how does it play?

how did you restring your racquet if the strings didnt break?...

NovakWannabe
09-24-2008, 05:21 PM
how did you restring your racquet if the strings didnt break?...

Cut it when you think the strings are busted?

appppppppple
09-24-2008, 06:01 PM
Cut it when you think the strings are busted?

o you rich boy

Tim W
09-25-2008, 03:01 AM
o you rich boy

???
Some sets of string cost about $2.00, such as PSGD. Now, if you can't afford that, then how did you get a racquet, balls, court hire, etc?

tennisdarren
09-25-2008, 04:13 AM
Do you use it full job or hybrid? If hybrid what is your cross string, tension? I have a few of these coming my way. really anxious to try them out.

I have used it both ways as a full job, which lasted me about 2 hours and as a cross string in a hybrid with pro hurricane. When I do a full set of it I usually string my O3 tour mp @ 62lbs. and as a hybrid I string my poly main at 57 and the cross at 60lbs.

NovakWannabe
09-25-2008, 06:07 AM
OK, I've decided to have full Topspin Cyberflash in my Microgel Radical Mid+ at either 57 or 62. Opinions?

SteveI
09-27-2008, 01:45 PM
OK, I've decided to have full Topspin Cyberflash in my Microgel Radical Mid+ at either 57 or 62. Opinions?

Hi,

I would go Hybrid... something soft in the crosses and 59/57

Steve

phucng_10
09-27-2008, 02:02 PM
Kevlar would be a suggestion, but I don't know if you'd like that because Kevlar is the so called "dead string". You'll need to put your own power into your shots but what's the advantage of having Kevlar is that, the durability is SUPERB and bites for the ball is awesome! That's only my opinion though. Right now I'm currently running some Kevlar in the mains with some Forton Nylon Blacks as the crosses.