PDA

View Full Version : Help on getting all aspects of game to work

!<-_->!
02-21-2004, 03:55 PM
Hi. My season is about to start soon and I need help getting everything to work. Every single time I play at school, either my strokes work and my serve doesn't or vice versa. Is there anything I can do to make both things work at once. This only happens when I play at school for some reason. If I play somewhere else, everything is fine and all my shots are nice and deep with decent power and spin. However at school, I frame shots constantly and all my shots land fairly short. Is there any advice that someone could give to improve my game. All help appreciated.

Thanks

vin
02-21-2004, 04:54 PM
What works for me is not thinking too much. This of course assumes that you've done your practice and have reasonable expectations of yourself. I've learned to do this by reading the book 'The Inner Game of Tennis'.

Vin

tennisbody
02-22-2004, 07:26 AM
I just think you overstress yourself. When you concentrate 100% on your serve and serve goes well you tend to relax just after it. Why? Because you want it to go in so badly....Your brain reacts to overpressure....And opposite, when groundstrokes start to fell you concentrate 100% on strokes and tend to relax after wininng the point (thus on your serve...). My advice , try to relax yourself. Don't overdo, setup your mind to do everything 75% ( 3/4 pace on every shot: serve, groundstroke, volley...Tend to relax and enjoy the game, stop going 100% on every shot. Just get to the ball and play it back, under control. You don't have to hit winners every time , but stop making unforced errors. Let him play the ball , let him worry how to make an extra shot instead of beating yourself by unforced errors.