PDA

View Full Version : X-1 Biphase

JSE
09-23-2008, 01:43 PM
I'm trying out the red x-1 biphase 17g strung at 57 lbs on a Pure Control Team Standard.

So far I like the string with a couple small concerns. I understand and see the string provides good ball pocketing which I like but it also seems to have a little to much "springy'ness" which I don't like. Would going up to maybe 62 lbs or so help reduce this "springy'ness"? I have pretty good racquet speed in my swing and I hit with moderate topspin. It just seems like I can't take a full cut at the ball. Maybe it's just a mental thing.

Also, would increasing the cross tension a few pounds over the main help with string movement on the biphase specifically? I know it has helped on other strings but not so sure on the Biphase. I'm wrecking the strings after just a few hits.

I also have one racquet strung up with Ashway Crossfire II 17g at 48/50 lbs and I am really enjoying it so far. I just like the power of the Biphase a bit more.

tennisfreak15347
09-23-2008, 01:53 PM
I'm trying out the red x-1 biphase 17g strung at 57 lbs on a Pure Control Team Standard.

So far I like the string with a couple small concerns. I understand and see the string provides good ball pocketing which I like but it also seems to have a little to much "springy'ness" which I don't like. Would going up to maybe 62 lbs or so help reduce this "springy'ness"? I have pretty good racquet speed in my swing and I hit with moderate topspin. It just seems like I can't take a full cut at the ball. Maybe it's just a mental thing.

Also, would increasing the cross tension a few pounds over the main help with string movement on the biphase specifically? I know it has helped on other strings but not so sure on the Biphase. I'm wrecking the strings after just a few hits.

I also have one racquet strung up with Ashway Crossfire II 17g at 48/50 lbs and I am really enjoying it so far. I just like the power of the Biphase a bit more.

as you probably know, X-one has a big break-in period, so you need maybe an hour-or-two of good hitting to really make the string more comfortable. It is indeed very crisp and lively; IMO, it's basically a better version of Tecnifibre Multifeel. Since it is so high powered, I definetly suggest upping the tension a few pounds. Since you say that you're shredding the strings after a short amount of time, a few babolat string-savers should do the trick. Also, just asking, how long have you hit with X-One so far? I just need to know if you're hitting with it after it's broken in, or before.

JSE
09-23-2008, 02:08 PM
as you probably know, X-one has a big break-in period, so you need maybe an hour-or-two of good hitting to really make the string more comfortable. It is indeed very crisp and lively; IMO, it's basically a better version of Tecnifibre Multifeel. Since it is so high powered, I definetly suggest upping the tension a few pounds. Since you say that you're shredding the strings after a short amount of time, a few babolat string-savers should do the trick. Also, just asking, how long have you hit with X-One so far? I just need to know if you're hitting with it after it's broken in, or before.

I've probably put about 4 to 5 hours on them so far. Started out for an hour on the ball machine to just get a feel for it and since then I have been doing some drop-in drills at my club. Lots of baseline hitting. I have definitely noticed it breaking in.

BTW, when I said I was "wrecking the strings", I meant the strings are moving all over the place. They appear to still be in good shape. The red coating is wearing off quite a bit but that does not seem to be any big deal. Or is it?

Would some string savers help with string movement? Not really concerned with string life as I am not a big string breaker.

tennisfreak15347
09-23-2008, 02:10 PM
I've probably put about 4 to 5 hours on them so far. Started out for an hour on the ball machine to just get a feel for it and since then I have been doing some drop-in drills at my club. Lots of baseline hitting. I have definitely noticed it breaking in.

BTW, when I said I was "wrecking the strings", I meant the strings are moving all over the place. They appear to still be in good shape. The red coating is wearing off quite a bit but that does not seem to be any big deal. Or is it?

Would some string savers help with string movement? Not really concerned with string life as I am not a big string breaker.

I forgot to mention the string movement. Stringing the crosses 2lbs higher should stop tension movement. However, some people feel this to be not necessary, as babolat elastocross stringsavers should do the trick. Apply 2 stringsavers to every main, and it should be okay.

JSE
09-23-2008, 02:14 PM
Apply 2 stringsavers to every main, and it should be okay.

I've never used string savers but willing to give them a try. Where exactly would be the best place to apply them? Low and high? Or maybe in the center?

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

tennisfreak15347
09-23-2008, 02:23 PM
I've never used string savers but willing to give them a try. Where exactly would be the best place to apply them? Low and high? Or maybe in the center?

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

don't worry, it's not a stupid question. Where you put them may seem trivial to some people, as long as it does what it's supposed to do. there are many patterns to put them on, but it depends on what you want to do. since you claim durability is not too much of an issue, and only want to reduce string movement, I would put them near the upper-middle and lower-middle cross on the main. I will draw out an example of a 16 x 18 stringpattern with 2 stringsavers on each main, with "x" being the stringsaver, and "o" being the intersection without a string saver. Also, I would not put string savers on the first three and last three mains, as you should generally locate them AROUND the sweetspot. What I do is I put the string savers on the 7th cross from the top and bottom.
o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o
o o o x o x o x o x o x o o o
o o x o x o x o x o x o x o x o o

Remember, this is just my preference; you can add stringsavers anywhere you want, but beware that if you add too many, you will add stiffness and added tension to your strings.

locomotion
09-23-2008, 07:28 PM
Is there a string that anyone would recommend that is like X-1, but not as springy?

tennisfreak15347
09-23-2008, 07:29 PM
Tecnifibre Multifeel, it's basically a lesser version of X-1

Valjean
09-23-2008, 08:53 PM
Is there a string that anyone would recommend that is like X-1, but not as springy?
Tecnifibre's new XR3, Wilson's NXT OS.

CHOcobo
09-23-2008, 09:38 PM
weird how im gonna do the same as you. i just ordered the red x-one biphase as well and planning to string at 57lb also. now i might just go 60 if it cause out of control power like you're kinda saying.

Stannie
09-24-2008, 02:01 AM
don't worry, it's not a stupid question. Where you put them may seem trivial to some people, as long as it does what it's supposed to do. there are many patterns to put them on, but it depends on what you want to do. since you claim durability is not too much of an issue, and only want to reduce string movement, I would put them near the upper-middle and lower-middle cross on the main. I will draw out an example of a 16 x 18 stringpattern with 2 stringsavers on each main, with "x" being the stringsaver, and "o" being the intersection without a string saver. Also, I would not put string savers on the first three and last three mains, as you should generally locate them AROUND the sweetspot. What I do is I put the string savers on the 7th cross from the top and bottom.

Remember, this is just my preference; you can add stringsavers anywhere you want, but beware that if you add too many, you will add stiffness and added tension to your strings.
Nice picture...

But with X-1 Red, I use to use it on my nBlade. What I did was put that in the mains, and hybrid with a syn gut (i.e. Gosen or PSGD). Saved me money and still felt great.

JSE
09-24-2008, 06:45 AM

That's perfect! Thanks for the diagram and the help. I'll be picking up some string savers today to give them a go. I think I will also get the racquet strung a little tighter next week as well. Maybe @ 62 for cross and mains or61/63 to deal with string movement if the string saver don't work for me. It's only money right?

Thanks again for the help.

JSE

JSE
09-24-2008, 06:48 AM
weird how im gonna do the same as you. i just ordered the red x-one biphase as well and planning to string at 57lb also. now i might just go 60 if it cause out of control power like you're kinda saying.

I would definitely recc. going up a little over 57 lbs to start with based on my experience so far. Granted I have never played with an Mfil 300 but I still think 57 might be a little too springy.

brucie
09-24-2008, 07:08 AM

Biphase is an amazing string!
But unfortunately its very expensive per set and does destroy itself.
I have never used biphase at less than 59lbs normally this would seem very high for me but with biphase the power is unbelievebly high. So to answer your question yes id go at 62. Biphase is qiute an elasticy string though and i think stringing at 62 would be a right pain in the arse but o well.

Also the higher you string the quicker its going to eat itself so beware of that but have fun with your X1. Maybe an idea would alos to get a thicker gauge if you want extra life.

JSE
09-24-2008, 08:12 AM
Biphase is an amazing string!
But unfortunately its very expensive per set and does destroy itself.
I have never used biphase at less than 59lbs normally this would seem very high for me but with biphase the power is unbelievebly high. So to answer your question yes id go at 62. Biphase is qiute an elasticy string though and i think stringing at 62 would be a right pain in the arse but o well.

Also the higher you string the quicker its going to eat itself so beware of that but have fun with your X1. Maybe an idea would alos to get a thicker gauge if you want extra life.

Yeah, I think I'll try it at the combo of 61/63 to help with movement. If I can just bring down the "springyness" a bit, it would be the perfect string for me. I'll try it tighter and if they wear out to quickly Ill go up to 16g. I'm also still going to try some string savers. What the hell huh?

Of course, I'm still trying out the Crossfire II 17g strung way down at 48/50. I'm really liking this set up for control but the Biphase clearly has more power. Just trying to figure out if I can get the Biphase under control. If so, I'll stick with it. If not, the Crossfire II will probably be my string of choice. BTW, the Crossfire II has very little string movement. I will adjust a string or two every ten minutes or so. Not bad at all.

fuzz nation
09-24-2008, 08:29 AM
My guru always recommends changing only one thing at a time. I think our pals have it right with the ideas of either bumping the tension maybe three pounds or using a 16 syn. gut in the crosses to mellow things out just a bit. That hybrid may save you a little considering the price of a set of the biphase.

I like that string a whole lot myself, but it can get too lively, even in a flexible, low powered frame. A teaching pro that I know who's devoted to that string uses the hybrid setup in his n6.1 95's with great success.