PDA

View Full Version : What tension should I string Kevlar/synethic gut at?

ogruskie
09-23-2008, 06:27 PM
I've read that below 50 lbs is ideal. Most people say they string at around 48.

I need control, forget power. I'm fairly content with the power I bring, so ideally I'd like tons of topspin and control. I'm probably going to string at 48, but wanted to know why such a low number.

tennisfreak15347
09-23-2008, 06:29 PM
With a KBT, you might want to string at 46. not by experience, but a lot of people dont even feel a trampoline effect even at low tensions for a kelvar. lower tensions soften ups the stringbend.

ogruskie
09-23-2008, 08:22 PM
I just don't want the stringbed to be mushy. I prefer something stiff, like fresh-strung poly.

travlerajm
09-23-2008, 09:18 PM
Keep in mind that Kevlar plays much softer after it's broken in than when it's fresh. I recommend stringing in the low 60s for a midplus or mid 50s for a mid - it might feel too stiff and low powered at first, but it will feel just right after it breaks in. If you go much lower, it might feel mushy after it breaks in. And broken-in 16g Kevlar will plateau and play the same with great bite for months.

fuzz nation
09-24-2008, 07:37 AM
While poly goes dead after several hours of play (some say 12 to 15 hours), kevlar seems to "work in" after a session or two and stay there. Too tight may feel much like a brick since the stuff has almost zero resilience, so figure on your first stringing with it to give you a reference. If you're leery about going down to the high 40's, I'd figure on going in the mid 50's to see how it plays out. After that first one, I'd bet that you'll either like it or just need it a little tighter or looser.