PDA

View Full Version : Initial poly string impression

lidation
09-23-2008, 07:31 PM
I put Blue Gear 1.25 on my APD 56lb last night and played against a wall and then with a friend today. First time ever to use a poly string.

My impression was: maybe I shouldn't use poly strings and stick with synthetic guts like PSGD. :)

You need huge racquet speed to "activate" the string bed. Otherwise, the racquet feels dead. No power, no spin, like a wood board. Even when it's alive, I feel that it at best matches the performance of synthetic guts.

It seems to take more effort than the synthetic guts. For comparison, the recent strings I used on my APD was: PSGD 18, 17 and 16, PSG Multifilament 17, Gamma Professional Live Wire 16, Gamma Asterisk 16. I really don't feel there is more spin with this Blue Gear string. I can generate spins on this string, but with more effort. I am sure if I move my racquet this fast using synthetic guts, I can generate the same amount of topsin, if not more.

Again, I guess this is because I don't have enough racquet speed yet. I think my next string would be back to PSGD17.

Fedace
09-23-2008, 07:35 PM
What level player are you ??? if you are a beginner to intermediate player, polys may not work so well.

baek57
09-23-2008, 07:49 PM
yes, you need more racquet speed. if you dont have it you dont need to be using poly. most people dont need to be using poly.

lidation
09-23-2008, 09:12 PM
I am an intermediate player. I got good topspins on ground strokes and I break PSG 16 in about 10 hours. I used poly this time 'cause I just wanna try it out to see for myself.

tailofdog
09-23-2008, 09:27 PM
I use poly in the mains with multi in the crosses.
I have compact strokes but i do hit out on my shots.
I would try this combo first. I am using head soni pro with pro supex multi in the crosses. I feel i get more spin on my serve plus more dwell time on the string bed.
No matter what you do on poly do try some of the better multis like NXT or KLIP EXCELLARATOR and you will never go back to synthetic gut

smirker
09-24-2008, 01:57 AM
I put Blue Gear 1.25 on my APD 56lb last night and played against a wall and then with a friend today. First time ever to use a poly string.

My impression was: maybe I shouldn't use poly strings and stick with synthetic guts like PSGD. :)

You need huge racquet speed to "activate" the string bed. Otherwise, the racquet feels dead. No power, no spin, like a wood board. Even when it's alive, I feel that it at best matches the performance of synthetic guts.

It seems to take more effort than the synthetic guts. For comparison, the recent strings I used on my APD was: PSGD 18, 17 and 16, PSG Multifilament 17, Gamma Professional Live Wire 16, Gamma Asterisk 16. I really don't feel there is more spin with this Blue Gear string. I can generate spins on this string, but with more effort. I am sure if I move my racquet this fast using synthetic guts, I can generate the same amount of topsin, if not more.

Again, I guess this is because I don't have enough racquet speed yet. I think my next string would be back to PSGD17.

Blue Gear is not the easiest intro to Poly strings. More like a baptism of fire!

The Big Ace would be a better option. It is a soft co-poly and more of an all round string. Blue gear is mainly a spin string for hard hitting baseliners.BA was my first poly and in the 1.22 gauge I didn't find it too much of a jump having used syn gut or multis for most of my playing life.

T10s747
09-24-2008, 07:18 AM

You hit the nail on the head, buddy. Poly without racquet head speed is like a fish out of water, that's what the club players don't realize about poly. They say it has no feel, plays dead, etc. If you have huge racquet head speed, there's nothing better. Nadal is the extreme example. Work on developing racquet head speed if you're a junior.

09-24-2008, 07:54 AM

You have used some quality Multi's and they are tough to match with a poly, especially if the the bat speed is not quite there.

My thoughts on more spin from polys.
3 Main reasons.

1. Strings don't move as much with Polys.
When strings move, there is give that leaks off energy that could be spin. This extra spin fuels the next point of more control.

2. Control is more precise and dependable with Poly, so you can swing faster.
When you can swing faster with the same or much better control, more energy can go to spin, which further fuels control- which allows you to swing faster, which leads to more spin- all in a cycle that builds on it's self.

3. And lastly, due to durability, most of us can go to a smaller gauge, like moving from 16g to 17g.
The smaller gauge can get a better bite on the ball in most cases, which leads to more spin. Which feeds back into the previous point, #2, due to spin adding control.

3 reasons that all run in a cycle together to result in more spin if you have the swing to produce the extra bat speed that poly can handle with precision. If you don't have a swing that can produce this extra swing speed, then you will miss most of the advantage of Poly.

But I think you are right, the string it's self does very little to add spin if compared string to string- with the same swing. I think it is this cycle of control and spin, that leads to much greater spin potential with the ability to speed up the stick without losing control of the shot.

barry
09-24-2008, 08:02 AM
Johnny Mac mentioned at the open, many of the top players are dropping poly and going back to all natural gut. He did not go into detail, but poly can be tough on the arm and shoulder. It is a nice control string, but after using it for the last 2 years, I switched back to synthetic gut. I do restring often, but the power and feel is better, plus no arm or shoulder fatigue issues.

nickb
09-24-2008, 08:05 AM
For some of us these is no other option. I break synthetic guts after about 1 hour of hitting, multis a bit longer and natural gut about 2 hours. What else can I do?!

I like the way poly plays but my arm feels sore sometimes. I dont have the time to re-string 3 rackets a day :neutral:

With poly I can get away with stringing 3 times a week and I sometimes use stringsavers to get more life.

Nick

09-24-2008, 08:21 AM
Nickb,
I'm shocked that after 2 outinga with a BA full job, my arm has felt great. I used to get some fatigue type feel with BBO hybrids and psgd.

Granted, I've dropped from 59-60 lbs to 57mains and 55 crosses with the BA, but the precision has been the best.

hoodjem
09-24-2008, 09:29 AM
Skip Blue Gear.

Go with a softer poly like BAM or SPPP. Or try a crisp poly like Cyberflash.

And definitely try some thin gauges--nothing thicker than 1.20 mm. Try these and you will grow to appreciate poly.

T10s747
09-25-2008, 10:05 AM
For some of us these is no other option. I break synthetic guts after about 1 hour of hitting, multis a bit longer and natural gut about 2 hours. What else can I do?!

Nick

You can lower tension to ease soreness for one. Yes and string savers help.

GeoffB
09-25-2008, 12:03 PM
Sounds like you should be using poly, unless you are experiencing arm/shoulder problems.

I don't pop synthetic gut as often as you do, but I do sympathize. If I string with synthetic gut, there's a reasonable chance I'll pop a string a string unless I switch rackets during a 3 set match.

Prince Problend is very durable, and might work for you, though you're not going to do your arm any favors with it. But if durability is an issue, yeah, it's definitely durable.

Otherwise... well, how many rackets do you have? If you have three or four identical rackets, and you're willing to build some serious callouses on your fingers with that stringer, I guess you could just switch rackets every 45 minutes or so, heh.

I like the way poly plays but my arm feels sore sometimes. I dont have the time to re-string 3 rackets a day :neutral:

With poly I can get away with stringing 3 times a week and I sometimes use stringsavers to get more life.

Nick

nickb
09-25-2008, 02:13 PM
Sounds like you should be using poly, unless you are experiencing arm/shoulder problems.

I don't pop synthetic gut as often as you do, but I do sympathize. If I string with synthetic gut, there's a reasonable chance I'll pop a string a string unless I switch rackets during a 3 set match.

Prince Problend is very durable, and might work for you, though you're not going to do your arm any favors with it. But if durability is an issue, yeah, it's definitely durable.

Otherwise... well, how many rackets do you have? If you have three or four identical rackets, and you're willing to build some serious callouses on your fingers with that stringer, I guess you could just switch rackets every 45 minutes or so, heh.

Nah...i dont want to string 3 frames a day!

Im pretty happy with poly to be honest...I really love the control and spin. I do like the touch from gut but I can live without it.

maui boy
10-02-2008, 03:49 PM
Try Topspin Cyber Blue 17L with a soft synthetic cross like Forten Sweet 17 or Klip Kicker 17. If you string the Cyber Blue at 10% less the feel is comparable to full synthetic gut. The hybrid, however, lets you swing away yet the ball stays in the court. I think you will really like this hybrid setup.

Quikj
10-02-2008, 11:15 PM
yes, you need more racquet speed. if you dont have it you dont need to be using poly. most people dont need to be using poly.

Thank You!!!!!!!!!