PDA

View Full Version : poly with best longevity?

tsongaali
09-23-2008, 10:15 PM
I have been using big ace for only 3 weeks and I am so disappointed since it has already gone dead. I can now feel extra vibration when I hit shots and the poly mains don't realign anymore. Is this normal for all polys, that is they get dead this quick? Or do some last longer than others? Should I just use syn gut or multi instead?:confused:

counterpuncher
09-23-2008, 10:57 PM
Very subjective, some will tell you all polys go dead in a few hours. If you are not a huge topspin player you will find SPPP, Cyber Flash and Cyber Power to last longer in that price range or Luxilon Ace at a higher price point. My friends and I have found these polys to have the greatest longevity by far.

christo
09-24-2008, 12:02 AM
Poly by it's nature will always die within a short time, expensive to say the least, find a frame that plays well with other strings and in time you will forget about poly, your arm will thank you as well.

Stannie
09-24-2008, 01:56 AM
From experience, SPPP has lasted me a long time. What I use to do is take that, and if you like a multi cross, hybrid with Isospeed Professional 17 (the new one). Good luck in finding your blend!

PROTENNIS63
09-24-2008, 04:17 AM
How many hours have you played? 3 weeks is A LOT. You should be very happy poly lasted you that long.

dallastxtennis
09-24-2008, 05:45 AM
How many hours have you played? 3 weeks is A LOT. You should be very happy poly lasted you that long.

Argeed, you should be more specific, how many hours a day ? how many days a week ? if you played everyday and last you for 3 weeks, again you should be very happy.

Big Tigger
09-24-2008, 06:31 AM
Big Ace is one of the best original characteristics holding poly imo. So is Pacific.

BTOH Luxilons, Hurricanes, ProLine II and Big Hitter are REALLY short lasting.

T10s747
09-24-2008, 07:00 AM

By it's very nature, all tennis strings except natural gut lose their resiliency after 3 weeks. Now, most players continue to play with them because they haven't yet broken, but the magic is gone. If you play a lot,the best thing is to have your own machine.

09-24-2008, 08:15 AM
I have been using big ace for only 3 weeks and I am so disappointed since it has already gone dead. I can now feel extra vibration when I hit shots and the poly mains don't realign anymore. Is this normal for all polys, that is they get dead this quick? Or do some last longer than others? Should I just use syn gut or multi instead?:confused:

Lux would have gone dead in less than half that time.

What about your tension? Did you have it strung at a tension near what you would have done for a multi? With BA, you can do that. Some of the other polys you must drop tension more.

tsongaali
09-24-2008, 04:12 PM
Well I play about 4 times a week now. The first 2 times are an hour and a half, and the second 2 times are 1-2 hours. I only thought of getting a poly since I break synthetic once a month, and stringing charges cost a hell of a lot where I live ($25+). But now I found out that big ace dies before a month, so synthetic should be a cheaper (and less painful) alternative. **** now I have back pain due to my ignorance of polys, and I just wasted my money on some big ace that I shouldn't even use.

Anyways, now that I am switching back to synthetic full, what's the best out there that is cheaper than $10?

x5150
09-24-2008, 04:51 PM
I use big ace now, after using a reel of wilson sensation 16. You should try that string for comfort and its dirt cheap. If you want a multi, go with head rip control 16, that will break in about 2 weeks also though. That string broke every two weeks for me and I play about 8 hrs a week, lots of topspin on my shots. BA feels great to me, added spin is great, i love it.

2nd_Serve
09-24-2008, 04:53 PM
All polys lose their tension really fast.

I found that ... Big Ace from Pro Supex was one of the longest lasting polys.

wumanchu23
09-24-2008, 06:08 PM
All polys lose their tension really fast.

I found that ... Big Ace from Pro Supex was one of the longest lasting polys.

Is losing tension really that big of a deal? If someone is a recreational player, perhaps they can deal with playing at different tensions. And when people say dead poly, is it really that noticeable? Is it like a wall, all of a sudden the balls start spraying? or is it something gradual.