PDA

View Full Version : Should i stay with gut to move to something else?

Ladferus
09-24-2008, 02:51 PM
Hello all,

I've recently started playing tennis again after a couple years off. I use a Pro Staff 6.0 85, the sampras replica, used to use babolat VS natural gut at around 65-68 lbs if i remember correctly. I would still like to stay high tension as i like to generate my own power and swing through the ball. So now I'm not sure with all the recent advances in string and such what other alternatives there would be string wise. I realize now that VS gut can be quite expensive in the long run and was looking for suggestions. Thx in advance!!

mrw
09-24-2008, 02:57 PM
I don't know how old you are but, gut is easy on the arm & shoulder which if you play a lot, helps keep you healthy. I have returned to gut after trying all kinds of different hybrids. Gut plays the best IMO.

I also favor a small headed racquet but with a bit more flex than the PS 6.0 85

tennisdad65
09-24-2008, 02:59 PM
Stick with GUT.
Maybe you can try stringing at a little lower tension to increase its life.
Maybe use 15L or 16 gauge Babolat Tonic+ nat gut which lasts fairly long and is cheaper ($25 vs. $35)

supertrex
09-24-2008, 02:59 PM
stay with it if you can afford it, good for your elbow in the " long run " since you want high tension.

u can switch strings if you switch to a bigger headsize. 100 " maybe

oh and try this. Gut on Mains and Forten 17 on crosses. save you $$$

btw its cheaper if u string ur own racquet like I do now :)

william7gr
09-24-2008, 05:42 PM
If you can afford it stay with gut if not go to a multi.

BTW wrong forum

Il Mostro
09-25-2008, 07:15 AM
No where to go but backwards. I like good multi but would rather play gut, especially with your racquet. When I played my PS85 St. Vincent back in the day I used natural gut exclusively. Most of us non-poly guys think in terms of "moving up" to gut.

game set match 46 TIMES!!
09-25-2008, 12:45 PM
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACBAB-EC2.html