PDA

View Full Version : Natural Gut?

Shamgod
09-24-2008, 03:20 PM
I've used gut for a while and i really like the feel of it. Can you tell me some other synthetic gut strings that will play similar to natural gut?

2nd_Serve
09-24-2008, 03:52 PM
Nothing will play as close as gut. But still, ther eare some great high end multi's.

jim e
09-24-2008, 03:55 PM
I've used gut for a while and i really like the feel of it. Can you tell me some other synthetic gut strings that will play similar to natural gut?

Nothing out there will be the same! If there was there would be no reason to have gut any more.
Wilson's K-Gut is a multi. and feels somewhat like gut, does not have the power, and will loose it's playability after a # of hours, Technifibre's TVG , and XR3,also is similar in feel, but is really not the same,but these 3 are the closest that I found.K-Gut pro was a little harsher.
I kept an extra racquet strung with K-Gut just for wet weather, but now I am hitting when it is a slight drizzle of rain with the all VS gut instead, and it is still holding up fine.As if it is a downpour of rain I won't be out there anyways. When the strings get a little wet, I just sprinkle some baby powder over it, and shake it in it's cover to dry it out.
Real gut will remain playable until it breaks, and for me, since I hit relatively flat, it lasts a good long time, and is also very economic as well since it is playable so long.

TennisProdigy
09-24-2008, 03:56 PM
if you use 60 pound monofiliment fishing line at 48-54 pounds you get really nice feel and pocketing, it will only last like 2 hours though.

jim e
09-24-2008, 03:57 PM
if you use 60 pound monofiliment fishing line at 48-54 pounds you get really nice feel and pocketing, it will only last like 2 hours though.

That sounds very fishy to me.

Fedace
09-24-2008, 04:03 PM
Nothing will play as close as gut. But still, ther eare some great high end multi's.

Disagree, Read the TW description of NRG2, it saids, it plays so close to Gut that you will have to check the packaging..:)

Ljubicic for number1
09-24-2008, 06:00 PM
Gamma Professional is the closest I have seen.

superstition
09-24-2008, 06:06 PM
Read the TW description of NRG2, it saids, it plays so close to Gut that you will have to check the packaging..:)
That's the fun thing about miracles. They're difficult to prove.

In reality, thin strands of nylon cannot reproduce the behavior of beef intestine.

Shamgod
09-24-2008, 08:13 PM
so just Gamma Professional and NGRP2

Shamgod
09-24-2008, 08:14 PM
so just Gamma Professional and NRG2?

supertrex
09-24-2008, 08:58 PM
I say Gamma Syn Gut, but you have to string it 61+ above

jimstorm
09-24-2008, 09:02 PM
Gosen OGJC. There are almost no strings that compare to it! I have only played with gut once, but I like OGJC even better, and it's like $5 instead of like $30!

todot62
09-24-2008, 09:24 PM
i agree with those that say "there is nothing like gut". However there are a couple that get very close. I've played with many and I am very fond of two.

LaserFibre SuperNatural Pro Stock @ $19.99
You will have very few people that have used this string that will disagree with me. However, you are getting so close to gut at this price that I just can't justify it for myself. There are many that PREFER this string OVER gut. I, however, am not one of them. But, IMHO, you can't get any closer to gut, and it holds it tension VERY well. So well in fact, that I tell my customers to play with it until it breaks.

Tecnifibre TGV @13.50
Many will argue with me on this one because there are other strings that START OUT feeling closer to gut (NRG2 is one of them). However, when it comes to tension maintenance, I have yet to find a multi in this price range that holds tension even CLOSE to gut. But with Tecnifibre TGV, I can pull a racquet off the stringer at a DT42 (from my ERT300) and it will drop to about DT38 after a few hours of play. But it will stay rock solid at DT38 for a VERY long time. How long depends on how you play, but longer than any multi I've tried in this price range. I will also tell my customers to play with Tecnifibre TGV until IT breaks. I've got one flat hitter that has 4 months and is still going strong. This string also doesn't move much, another plus.

So with all of that said Gut is what i recommend for those that want something that "feels, plays and acts like gut." Tecnifibre TGV is what I recommend for people that want something that "feels, plays and acts SIMILAR to gut but at a lesser price."

Hope this helps -->Tod

sciwriter
09-25-2008, 04:46 AM
Disagree, Read the TW description of NRG2, it saids, it plays so close to Gut that you will have to check the packaging..:)

NRG2 doesn't hold tension like gut. It doesn't bite like gut. There's a world of difference in my experience.

Djokovicfan4life
09-25-2008, 05:27 AM
The closest you will get to gut will be very soft multis like X-1 Biphase, Wilson K Gut, and Babolat Xcel premium. But none of them will come close to the magic that is VS gut.