PDA

View Full Version : Full Gut in a Prestige mid

Fed Kennedy
09-24-2008, 04:56 PM
I got a prestige. Dman the cost, I'm going for full gut. I'm thinking 48lbs. Does anyone have any feedback on this.

Matty G
09-25-2008, 12:28 AM
Thats very low for a full gut job. What are you trying to achive? I would go with 55

Valjean
09-25-2008, 03:06 AM
With such a small head, the brand and/or version of natural gut you put in will matter a great deal. What's in store?

McLovin
09-25-2008, 04:01 AM
Isn't that an 18x20 pattern as well as 93 sq in? What gauge gut are you using? Given how small the head is & how tight the pattern, you could get a way w/ 17g in that.

bluescreen
09-25-2008, 06:29 AM
i tried gut in a lm prestige mid once. 18 gauge at 57 lbs. u can drop it to 55 if u want, but 48 is ridiculous. this isnt poly remember, so 48 is way low, even for this type of frame.

Fed Kennedy
09-25-2008, 07:23 AM
I've been working my way towards lower tensions because I am playing much more often, it's comfortable and I dont have to whale at the ball every time to make it go deep. it's nicer on my wrist. this racquet plays like a board with anything over 55. the rec. tension is 48-58. but i have never tried honest to goodness VS 17 in anything, so I cant judge the trampoline factor. But I cant imagine this racquet trampolining. the bed is so tight and consistent. the frame is so low power and easy to control and i thought i'd aim low. maybe 51? It's going to rain this wekend so I have time to make up my mind.

slkbassist
09-25-2008, 10:45 AM
Not sure on the tension, but let us know what it feels like at low tension

baek57
09-25-2008, 11:55 AM
nothing wrong with 48lbs. people saying not to do it probably have never done it. these are probably the same people who say gut plays best right before it breaks. i've strung my own frames between 36 and 65lbs. quite honestly, its just a matter of preference.

Fed Kennedy
09-25-2008, 01:17 PM
cool. lots of opinions on here. i was reading that people were doing their k90s in the 40s with lots of different string so I thought this frame could easily do it. I'm leaning 48. If its too boingy, I'll let the old man take it for a spin.

jim e
09-25-2008, 01:45 PM
nothing wrong with 48lbs. people saying not to do it probably have never done it. these are probably the same people who say gut plays best right before it breaks. i've strung my own frames between 36 and 65lbs. quite honestly, its just a matter of preference.

I will not be one of the ones that says gut plays best right before it breaks, but it does play great all the way through its lifespan, until it breaks.It is a very playable string all through its life.It seems to loose a little tension in the beginning, and then keeps it resilency good all the way to the end.I have 3 identical racquets all strung with VS, use them extensivly. I used a 4th racquet, and used all types of strings in that frame, cut them out weekly just to see how the different strings would hit. Nothing compares to all gut for me.I just had to try a # of string combinations myself to see how each was. I should have wrote down how they did hit, as over time you can forget.
As far as tension, you have to decide what is best for you. Mine have been slowly increasing tension over time.
If memory is correct I believe Jimmy Connors played with his T-2000 strung with gut in the 40's, and he seemed to do well with it.

Fed Kennedy
09-26-2008, 08:56 PM
48. I'm going for the full Connors. While waiting for the courts to dry I will get my shorts hemmed and practice my fist pump.

zapvor
09-27-2008, 10:53 AM
I've been working my way towards lower tensions because I am playing much more often, it's comfortable and I dont have to whale at the ball every time to make it go deep. it's nicer on my wrist. t but i have never tried honest to goodness VS 17 in anything, so I cant judge thehis racquet plays like a board with anything over 55. the rec. tension is 48-58. trampoline factor. But I cant imagine this racquet trampolining. the bed is so tight and consistent. the frame is so low power and easy to control and i thought i'd aim low. maybe 51? It's going to rain this wekend so I have time to make up my mind.

i dont think thats correct

Fed Kennedy
09-27-2008, 11:42 AM
NXT 17 at 57 was too boardy and low powered for me. Just my personal take. (I am used to POGs) The rec tension of 48-58 is written right on the frame...

Mansewerz
09-27-2008, 12:50 PM
Maybe you just aren't used to the 18x20 pattern?

Fed Kennedy
09-27-2008, 06:22 PM
^^yeah it feels a lot different. it feels better to me loose.

Lendl
09-28-2008, 04:45 PM
All personal preference but I have my MG Prestige mids with 17g natural gut at 56 lbs. That seems just right. I also have some lead at 3:00 and 9:00 for more stability.

bluescreen
09-28-2008, 06:57 PM
ive noticed that the mg prestige mid has more power than the lm version (havent tried the flexpoint in mid), so u may be ok going over 55 like Lendl suggested.

Fed Kennedy
09-29-2008, 04:23 PM
My first impression of this setup (48lbs.) is that it does not feel radically different!
First 15 minutes I sent everything long, but then I settled down and felt fine.
Directional control felt exactly the same.

It is lush on the arm even though giving off a noticeable boing. I put a samp damp in and it was quite smooth.
It was a little more relaxing in terms of getting good depth, but it was a little more demanding in terms of swing mechanics. A bad angle will send it soaring. Easy to stroke, easy to whip.
Nice for touch lobs.
My serve picked up a nice little pop even though my motion is getting looser and slower.
The wear is less than NXT after same amount of hitting.
So far I am saying it is a slight improvement but not a game changer. But I'm only one day into this lifestyle...
Tomorrow I am playing a heavy hitter who usually serves me off the court.
We'll see how it goes.

RB
10-01-2008, 02:22 PM
I will not be one of the ones that says gut plays best right before it breaks, but it does play great all the way through its lifespan, until it breaks.It is a very playable string all through its life.It seems to loose a little tension in the beginning, and then keeps it resilency good all the way to the end.I have 3 identical racquets all strung with VS, use them extensivly. I used a 4th racquet, and used all types of strings in that frame, cut them out weekly just to see how the different strings would hit. Nothing compares to all gut for me.I just had to try a # of string combinations myself to see how each was. I should have wrote down how they did hit, as over time you can forget.
As far as tension, you have to decide what is best for you. Mine have been slowly increasing tension over time.
If memory is correct I believe Jimmy Connors played with his T-2000 strung with gut in the 40's, and he seemed to do well with it.

Jimmy strung his T-2000 in the 60lb range-BUT-he did string his Prince Mono on the Senior tour around 37 to 43 lbs-( I talked to his stringer at an event years back)