PDA

View Full Version : Is learning to string hard?

RCizzle65
09-24-2008, 09:03 PM
If I just read a manual or viewed some youtube videos, would it be hard to string? And what would the difference be on the stringing machines, I'm looking at the Gamma ones on tennis warehouse, the II ones, and what is the difference between those 3?

projects
09-24-2008, 10:19 PM
not hard at all. first time may take u 2hours, it'll reduce while ur technique getting better. And floating clamp need more techniques.

RCizzle65
09-24-2008, 11:01 PM
Floating clamp, what? Also, what about the difference between the three Gamma machines?

supertrex
09-25-2008, 09:03 AM
just get the Gamma X-2, everything u need is in the box. most $300+ machines works the same as the Gamma x-2. they can just help you string much faster.

Dropweight is more accurate though. according to some article. you can check google for that.

supermario343
09-25-2008, 09:59 AM
I got my first stringing machine in March of 2008 and my first frame took me like 1.5 hrs. Now I can do it in 35-45 min. depending on how accurate I really want to be. I use the Gamma Progression II 602 FC btw :) great machine for what it does and im satisfied....good luck!

H. Ju
09-25-2008, 10:28 AM
So easy! Once you get used to it, it's actually fun and there are so many things that you could do with different strings and tensions which provides a different level of enjoying tennis.

I personally recommend a dropweight b/c it much more accurate. Let us know how your first stringing went.

baek57
09-25-2008, 10:32 AM
i learned to string using only the videos on the yulitles how to string thread found here.
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=172626

GeoffB
09-25-2008, 11:06 AM
I strung my first racket with a klippermate a couple of weeks ago. It actually was a little tricky at first, and took me over three hours - though I did make some mistakes that forced me to start over a few times (allowed the clamps to slip) and popped a string twice (probably because I was too hard on them while stringing). I posted my experiences on this board, and a lot of people said that it took them over 3 hours the first time - though it might be easier for you.

But that said, now that I've got my first couple of rackets done, it all makes sense, and it doesn't seem difficult anymore. It's also actually pretty fun to string your own rackets - it gets you thinking about strings and setup rather than just handing it over to someone else. So I highly recommend it.

Just don't get discouraged when the first one takes a while.

RCizzle65
09-25-2008, 07:25 PM
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACGAMMA-602FC.html

so that should last me awhile whether I'm a beginner or once I'm more experienced? Oh, and yeah youtube videos I did mean yulite's videos lol....but where should I start it doesn't seem to be in order?

zapvor
09-25-2008, 07:27 PM
it depends i think. my first job took like 3 hours, and i had help, but i am much better now. the machine difference lies in speed-dropweight takes longer, electronic takes less time. theres other factors too you need to consider...do some research

tennisfreak15347
09-25-2008, 07:31 PM
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACGAMMA-602FC.html

so that should last me awhile whether I'm a beginner or once I'm more experienced? Oh, and yeah youtube videos I did mean yulite's videos lol....but where should I start it doesn't seem to be in order?

if you have money to invest, then buy that; it takes a lot less effort using fixed clamps compared to flying clamps, and a lot easier. That is my dream dropweight if I ever get around to buying another. For now, the Silent Partner Swing is what I use. After your first couple stringjobs, you should be able to get the hang of it. stringing comes with practice, along with reading on the forums and the instruction manuels. It's pretty fun, economical, and it can also be a side-job if you decide to advertise your business

Wondertoy
09-25-2008, 09:09 PM
Stringing is easy. It's not rocket scientist stuff as many here would like you to believe. It's basically time consuming and tedious but you can do it watching TV.

Chris Dono
09-25-2008, 09:21 PM
its easy as long as you catch on and very rewarding.

christo
09-25-2008, 09:51 PM
No, even a Republican could figure it out

mikeler
09-26-2008, 02:20 PM
I just got my stringer about 3 months ago. Took me about 4 hours on the first job, but I tightened the final knot so tight the string job broke. The next night it took 3 hours. Then after that it went down about 15-20 minutes each time. I have an oversized racket so I have a few more strings to do, but I'm down to 45 minutes total to get the stringer out, take the old strings out of the racket, cut the new strings and get them in. It is well worth it.

Leelord337
09-26-2008, 02:44 PM
actually i think stringing racquets is time consuming and difficult if u have never done it before. if you string almost all the mains for example and forget to put a clamp in the right place it messes up ur string job and u have to start over. i'm a relatively flat hitter and only break strings about once a month so i can afford the $10 every time i need a stringing.

Radical Shot
09-27-2008, 01:40 AM
Is it hard? I've had more trouble lacing up some hiking boots, or ski boots than stringing a racquet.

Like someone said previously, it's not brain science, or rocket surgery ;-)

mikeler
09-27-2008, 11:28 AM
Buying my Gamma X-ST actually improved my game because I used to buy very thick, durable string and use string savers so my strings would never break. They just got so loose, that I had them cut out and restrung. Now I buy cheap synthetic gut which gives me much more feel. It breaks about every 4 matches, so my strings are always very fresh too.

It is convenient being able to string a racket the night I break a string versus waiting on someone else. I do agree with everyone that says it is fun. I thought I'd be bored with it by now, but I actually enjoy doing it. I just flip on the TV, open up a beer and get'r done.

Teamtomo
09-27-2008, 11:33 AM
i helped my coach string a racquet, it was easy, i picked it up really quickly

GeoffB
09-27-2008, 03:42 PM
Yep, that's precisely the blunder I made while stringing my first racket. Did it three times, I think. That's the main reason my first took me well over three hours.

But you'd be surprised how much easier it gets after your first couple of stringing jobs. You do need to be careful, but after a while it gets very intuitive. And if you pretty only string your own rackets, you don't have to figure out a new pattern, and gauge each time, so it gets a lot easier.

actually i think stringing racquets is time consuming and difficult if u have never done it before. if you string almost all the mains for example and forget to put a clamp in the right place it messes up ur string job and u have to start over. i'm a relatively flat hitter and only break strings about once a month so i can afford the $10 every time i need a stringing.

skierpaul
09-27-2008, 05:04 PM
No, even a Republican could figure it out

I dunno, Sarah Palin and Mrs. Teen South Carolina are running at a dead heat in my book! The similarities are striking!

http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ9bP_AqHPg&eurl=

http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=lj3iNxZ8Dww
-------------------------

Ok staying on topic, I just strung my first racket on a drop weight machine on Monday and it took 1.5hrs while watching MNF. I have to say, stringing and watching football go hand in hand really well. YUlite's videos will show you everything you need to know. The knot tying vid using climbing rope was especially helpful.

Radical Shot
09-27-2008, 06:10 PM
Buying my Gamma X-ST actually improved my game .....

I absolutely agree with this experience. Having your own stringing machine allows you to experiment with strings to find something you really like, and being able to string means never having to play with dead strings again.

For the sake of a few hundred dollars to buy a machine, this could very well be the best investment in your tennis coaching / improvement that you make.

Once you find your perfect string and tension combo, you'll never look back. If you're serious about tennis, a stringing machine is a must in my opinion.

Applesauceman
09-27-2008, 06:52 PM
I recently purchased a used Prince Neos 1000 from my club for $200. I've strung two racquets already...the first one took me about 2 hours, the second about an hour. I already have teammates asking me to string for them.

jim e
09-27-2008, 07:56 PM
I recently purchased a used Prince Neos 1000 from my club for $200. I've strung two racquets already...the first one took me about 2 hours, the second about an hour. I already have teammates asking me to string for them.

Hi Applesauceman: Since you are just starting to string, what can save you some time in the beginning, is when you weave your crosses, you don't need to check all your weaving for missed weaves, as if you start over your 1st main, you will end under your last, or vice versa will be the same as well, and if you follow that rule, you will never have to check all the weaving if you missed any, as it would be highly unlikely that you would miss 2 of them in same row.That can cut out a lot of time for your stringing.
Hope you enjoy stringing!!sounds like you got a great deal on your machine as well, congradulations!!

mikeler
09-30-2008, 10:23 AM
I absolutely agree with this experience. Having your own stringing machine allows you to experiment with strings

I did experiment with a number of different strings since my stringer came with 15 free packages of string. It ended up that I felt best with 16 gauge synthetic gut. After that, I experimented with various brands of synthetic gut. Now I'm all set with Prince 16G although I like Gamma 16G too. The Prince just seems to give me an extra 2 or 3 sets.

Also, I think people underestimate how quickly strings die. Think about some of your best played matches recently and they'll probably coincide with a match that included a freshly strung racket. I noticed my errors went way up after about 10 matches with the same set of strings using string savers.

As for tension, I also tweaked that a little bit too. I ended up going about 2 pounds higher than I had when somebody else strung my racket. I personally did not see much difference, but I've been doing it with that tension for so many months, so I'll just stick with it.