PDA

View Full Version : Help on hybrid on K90 and K95

khong74
09-25-2008, 10:34 AM
Hi folks,
I'm new here and excited to post my first question here.
I'm 4.0-4.5 baseliner, using mainly K90, with a fast swing.
I tend to mix spin shots and flat shots.

I've been using PSG original on 57lb but tend to break it too often.
And I felt it a little bit stiff esp. when hitting with hard hitters.

Since I don't string myself the labor fee tend to be too high; hence
betraying my intention to save money by going with syngut.
That's why I wanted to try hybrid. I'll also try string savers.

The strings that I currently have are: NRG2 16, LUX ALU 16, and some of PSG original. Which would make a good hybrid?

What I'm planning to do is,

1) NRG2 main/ ALU cross
2) NRG2 main/ psg cross
3) ALU main/ psg cross

Can you guys give me advice how these set up might play and what tensions would be ideal for each set up, given that I felt a bit stiff with psg on 57lb on k90.

I know its a lot, and I feel dumb asking these questions, but your advice would be very appreciated.

baek57
09-25-2008, 10:40 AM
i would avoid using the lux as this would make your racquet even stiffer. by default then, of your three choices i'd go with #2. drop your tension 2-3 lbs and see how it feels. if it still feels stiff keep dropping until you are comfortable.

khong74
09-25-2008, 12:40 PM
i would avoid using the lux as this would make your racquet even stiffer. by default then, of your three choices i'd go with #2. drop your tension 2-3 lbs and see how it feels. if it still feels stiff keep dropping until you are comfortable.

Thanks, but since many people are praising the spin friendliness of ALU i was going to use the #3 setting on my k95. how about that?

nadal&roddickfan
09-25-2008, 12:55 PM
Thanks, but since many people are praising the spin friendliness of ALU i was going to use the #3 setting on my k95. how about that?

you can try ALU, but since it is a poly, it is recommended to drop tension 3-4 lbs. I suggest stringing ALU at 53-54

baek57
09-25-2008, 01:13 PM

spin friendliness is only a function of racquet head speed. alu is a low powered string which allows you to swing faster while keeping the ball in the court. if you had no problems keeping the ball in the court with a fast swing with your previous setup, i don't see any reason to switch to poly.

khong74
09-25-2008, 10:27 PM
you can try ALU, but since it is a poly, it is recommended to drop tension 3-4 lbs. I suggest stringing ALU at 53-54

When I use ALU at 53 at the main, if I use a syngut as a cross, can I use like 57lb as usual?

JT_Productions
09-26-2008, 01:46 AM
I'm going to try #3 the next time I restring, I first played with my K90 at 58lbs, I now set it at 55lbs, full PSGD, now I am going to be trying 53 for the ALU Rough then 55 for the PSGD or to make something a little more unique VS. all the other string types in the past I may try, 48 for the ALU and 50 for the PSGD mains.

mawashi
09-26-2008, 08:51 PM
I would go for option 3.

The poly cross will eat into the multis real fast if you hit with a lot of spin.

I would also prefer a syn gut in the cross as multis tend to get rather mushy faster than a syn gut.

My AK90 has a hybrid of poly force mains & prince or tenifibre syn gut, 50/52 lbs.

Cheers,

mawashi
________
114 (http://www.bmw-tech.org/wiki/BMW_114)

khong74
09-27-2008, 05:11 PM
thanks a lot!

T10s747
09-27-2008, 06:57 PM
spin friendliness is only a function of racquet head speed. alu is a low powered string which allows you to swing faster while keeping the ball in the court. if you had no problems keeping the ball in the court with a fast swing with your previous setup, i don't see any reason to switch to poly.

I don't consider ALU a low powered string, it has more power than any synthetic gut. It also promotes spin better than any syn gut. I would use ALU mains 50-53 lbs. with syn gut crosses +2-3 lbs.