PDA

View Full Version : Appendectomy

latinking
09-25-2008, 10:24 AM
My friend has just had one, and its been about 5 weeks. He is a little worried about going out for a hit and hurting himself.

Has anyone ever had an Appendectomy. If so how long before you were able to be back on the court 100 percent?

Topaz
09-25-2008, 10:40 AM
My friend has just had one, and its been about 5 weeks. He is a little worried about going out for a hit and hurting himself.

Has anyone ever had an Appendectomy. If so how long before you were able to be back on the court 100 percent?

I had my appendix out March 1. It was a week before I could feel comfortable going for a brisk walk. It was two weeks before I was back on court. Probably three to four before I really felt back in the swing of things.

I do credit the fact that I was in reasonably good shape beforehand with the fact that I did get back rather quickly (quicker than the doc said I would). My appendicitis was also caught early. The later and more infected it is, the longer it will take for the person to recover. If for some reason it burst, then it will be even longer.

Also, recovery depends on the type of surgery (laproscopic vs. regular incision). Mine was an incision, but it is really small...again, because it was caught early.

Tell your friend to just take it easy. If he (she?) feels discomfort in the area of the incision, then he needs to stop! Good luck!

Moz
09-25-2008, 11:05 AM
Did he remember to ask to take the appendix home? Depending on the state of it you can get up to $300 in Uganda for it.

Alternatively, if you check the ACS (Austrian Cannibalism Society) they have an auction section. I got $12 for my big toenail - although I suspect they used it as a condiment rather than as part of the actual meal.

Topaz
09-25-2008, 11:15 AM
Did he remember to ask to take the appendix home? Depending on the state of it you can get up to $300 in Uganda for it.

Alternatively, if you check the ACS (Austrian Cannibalism Society) they have an auction section. I got $12 for my big toenail - although I suspect they used it as a condiment rather than as part of the actual meal.

Now you tell me!!!

nyc
09-25-2008, 11:21 AM
I had laproscopic appendectomy - and was on a plane 2 days later, and jumping into a pool 4 days after, while holding the guts in.

Playing Tennis painfree took about 4-5 weeks of rest.

latinking
09-25-2008, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the responses.

He had a regular incision. He is in pretty good shape. I do think that it had burst on him. So not sure how bad it all was.

He also uses two hands on each side ( Backhand and forehand) when he plays, not sure but I think that puts more stress on midsection. He is a very good player. Very powerful. We are playing this weekend and it seems 3 weeks is the norm for recovery. So we will try it out and see what happens.

Topaz
09-25-2008, 11:55 AM

He had a regular incision. He is in pretty good shape. I do think that it had burst on him. So not sure how bad it all was.

He also uses two hands on each side ( Backhand and forehand) when he plays, not sure but I think that puts more stress on midsection. He is a very good player. Very powerful. We are playing this weekend and it seems 3 weeks is the norm for recovery. So we will try it out and see what happens.

If it burst, he will need more than 3 weeks. Yikes! That's serious stuff!!!

A colleague of mine was out 6 weeks, and his was close to bursting when they took it out.

LuckyR
09-26-2008, 08:15 AM
Open incision ie not through the scope... 6 weeks minimum.

Topaz
09-26-2008, 08:21 AM
Open incision ie not through the scope... 6 weeks minimum.

Not necessarily...mine was open, but they are really good at making the incision much smaller than in days past. And, like I said before, mine was not as far along as it can be, and that will also affect recovery.

I actually argued for laproscopic vs. open in the ER, and they said no, and assured me that with how small they do the open, it is actually better than having it done laproscopically. I didn't buy it myself until I saw it!

I, uh, also had my gall bladder taken out laproscopically, and while it was still a quick recovery, because there is more than place where they go in, it was a bit more widespread pain. Overall, that actually took me longer to recover from.

Or, it could just be me and my wierd lack of organs!!!

Julieta
09-26-2008, 10:48 AM

High level tennis is very hard on the core. Not sure if a doctor will fully understand that so make sure your friend really explains that to the doctor. He might be picturing someone gently hitting tennis balls wearing a sweater vest or something.

droptop6969
09-26-2008, 10:21 PM
i had appendix surgery last year....i had a open surgery cuz i was too skinny for the cameras they can stick in to look.... honestly i wouldnt play for a month or two.....i was 150 pounds when it happened then after the week i had surgery i weighed 125....ur friend would be wise to wait 1 month MINIMUM