PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about Televisions

GuyPerez
02-06-2005, 05:48 AM
All you guys in the know, tell me about TV's. Mt head is spinning. I want a 42inch screen but have no idea what to get. Rear-projection LCD? Plasma? DLP?

It can't be too huge front to back, but the current rear projection LCD's are OK in the depth department.

Thanks.

raftermania
02-06-2005, 12:09 PM
Hey get a 42 inch plasma, then invite us all over to watch the french.

Audiodude
02-06-2005, 12:25 PM
Conventional CRT projection televisions offer the best picture quality of the three you mentioned. They have the best black levels ( blacks tend to look black, not grey). They offer the sharpest potential picture. They're also the cheapest since they've been around longest. DLP or LCD rear projection are next in line. The digital atifacts created by the video scalers on conventional resolution broadcasts can be annoying, though. Plasma is retina searing bright with below average black levels. But it is thin.

GuyPerez
02-06-2005, 12:43 PM
OK. Thanks! The conventional CRT's are huge though right? If I use cable TV, do I need to just make sure I get one that is HD ready vs. HD built in?

Audiodude
02-07-2005, 07:20 AM
HD ready is fine. As long as the television is HD ready and has at least component video inputs you're good to go.