PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder pain during forehand swing

Sentinel
09-26-2008, 03:13 AM
One month and i've not played!!

I get some niggling pains or sensation in shoulder that are wierd, not painful but just weird. This happened during the forehand swing esp on a shoulder level ball.

For a couple weeks I rested, iced and did rotator cuff strenghtneing. THat did not help at all.
I gave up doing anything for another couple weeks. But it had no effect, The pain comes during normal motions here and there.

The other day, i just picked up my rack and did some forehand swings (at home) and i can still feel the pain as i swing forward. The docs here in the small town are no use.

Some suggestions from you folks would be helpful. Have i created problems by doing a lot of rotator cuff strengthening over the last few months. I was doing a lot of shoulder stretching after play too.
If i do shoulder circles, i do feel sensation at some points.

SystemicAnomaly
09-28-2008, 03:43 AM
How old? For those past their mid-40s, shoulder problems are quite common for tennis players and other athletes that use an overhand throwing motion. Have you tried any of the shoulder/rotator ROM tests that I've mentioned in other threads?

What grip are you using for those shoulder high balls?

samster
09-28-2008, 08:41 AM
One month and i've not played!!

I get some niggling pains or sensation in shoulder that are wierd, not painful but just weird. This happened during the forehand swing esp on a shoulder level ball.

For a couple weeks I rested, iced and did rotator cuff strenghtneing. THat did not help at all.
I gave up doing anything for another couple weeks. But it had no effect, The pain comes during normal motions here and there.

The other day, i just picked up my rack and did some forehand swings (at home) and i can still feel the pain as i swing forward. The docs here in the small town are no use.

Some suggestions from you folks would be helpful. Have i created problems by doing a lot of rotator cuff strengthening over the last few months. I was doing a lot of shoulder stretching after play too.
If i do shoulder circles, i do feel sensation at some points.

What is your forehand grip? If you have a more extreme grip, may be it's time to think about a more traditional grip to see if that would help.

eugenius
09-28-2008, 12:48 PM
You might need to see an orthopod.A ultrasound of the area often shows if there's impingement,but they'll do the impingement tests as well (phys exam)
I've had surgery on both shoulders for supraspinatus impingement,and even now (3-4 yrs later)i still get discomfort if i play too much(more than 2x/week)
Even though they've checked it again for re-occurrence ,they could'nt find any problem.I did however find that excess rotator cuff exercise(in the gym or at home with the elastic band) sometimes made it worse.Try to rest the muscles a bit and if it doesn't improve,go see an orthopod.
P.S Sometimes a steroid injection into the tendon can relieve the problem for many months,although you have to strengthen the muscle again afterwards,before you start playing.

SystemicAnomaly
09-28-2008, 03:21 PM
What is your forehand grip? If you have a more extreme grip, may be it's time to think about a more traditional grip to see if that would help.

I was thinking just the opposite. I use a modified or extreme Eastern on most of my FH strokes. However, if I want to hit topspin on a high ball, I'll switch to the SW grip. Switching the grip in this situation is much easier on my diminished shoulder capacity. (My shoulder issue is primarily an external rotation limitation but I also feel some pain when my arm extends for a high ball).

Sentinel
09-29-2008, 08:50 PM
I use a semi-western. Age: mid-40.

Just finished playing one year!

Earlier I was hitting pretty flat, but since i learned topspin a couple months back, I began really swinging hard. This could have added stress to the shoulder.

I was wondering whether this could have been due to overdoing rotator cuff exercise and overstretching.

Will try to find an orthopod.

I use the same grip (SW) for high and low balls.

SystemicAnomaly
10-01-2008, 12:39 AM
Don't really know if your over-exercising of rotator cuff muscles contributed to your shoulder problem. I suppose that it might be conceivable that this is an overuse injury that was exacerbated by the rotator cuff exercises. I wouldn't think that the post-game static stretches would result in your shoulder pain unless you took the stretches too far or performed them in a ballistic manner.

It could be that you have an issue with stroke mechanics with high balls or serves. Altho' serving may not cause you any discomfort, it still could be responsible for the pain you feel on high FH shots. You might generating too much of your power on serves or on FH shots, especially high FHs, with just your arm. Instead the power on all shots should start with the legs -- this is transferred to the hip (via hip rotation), followed by torso rotation.

The accumulated power is then transferred the shoulder & arm links. If you are not using much of the leg, hips, torso, or forearm links then you may be stressing the shoulder too much.

SystemicAnomaly
10-01-2008, 12:50 AM
Note: If you have been doing lateral (shoulder) raises directly to the side, this might result in stressing of the abduction muscles of the shoulder. Lateral raises should be performed 30 degrees forward of the coronal plane:

http://training.seer.cancer.gov/module_anatomy/images/illu_body_planes.jpg

Question -- Have you engaged in other athletic activities prior to your year of tennis that involved overhand throwing actions? Under normal circumstances, I wouldn't think that you would be seeing shoulder issues from only 1 year of tennis. Other shoulder activities might have contributed to your current problem.

Sentinel
10-01-2008, 02:27 AM
SA,
1. No. No lateral raises, I am aware of the problems they cause. Just rotator cuff work with light dumbells and the rubber band thingie - at various angles. Perhaps some angles caused a problem.

2. Yes, your previous post about hitting the forehand with too much upper body strength. I am self-taught so i suspect there is very little lower body going into the FH. And i do hit as hard as i can.

SystemicAnomaly
10-01-2008, 02:51 AM

2. Yes, your previous post about hitting the forehand with too much upper body strength. I am self-taught so i suspect there is very little lower body going into the FH. And i do hit as hard as i can.

Check out FYB for video instruction of the FH (and serve). YouTube is also a good resource -- study the kinetic chain for the FH shots of Agassi, Federer, Sampras, and Carlos Moya.

Have a coach or a better player (with a good eye) take a look at your FH & serve mechanics too see if you are muscling your shots too much (relying too heavily the arm).