PDA

View Full Version : Tension help for natural gut...

morten
09-26-2008, 03:24 AM
I normally use 45lbs, and ng at 45 was too powerful. Then i tried 48, still too powerful, i really want natural gut to work in my frame(use ps85) but at the moment i play much better using ordinary syntgut at 45... hm, should i up the tension further for the natural gut, or just settle with my usual string. I like low tension, so natural gut at say 53 could feel too tight for me, or maybe not since it is natural gut?

todot62
09-26-2008, 06:29 AM
I normally use 45lbs, and ng at 45 was too powerful. Then i tried 48, still too powerful, i really want natural gut to work in my frame(use ps85) but at the moment i play much better using ordinary syntgut at 45... hm, should i up the tension further for the natural gut, or just settle with my usual string. I like low tension, so natural gut at say 53 could feel too tight for me, or maybe not since it is natural gut?

Gut is usually so powerful that you are best going to the top of the range. I play with a 95" 18x19 and will string a poly at 54, but will go to 60-65 for gut. You might do a search for a thread "least powerful gut" and see if that gives you some insight. Perhaps with a less powerful gut you can use a bit lower tension.

On another note, if you like low tension, I highly recommend trying a low tension kevlar/sg setup (say on your ps85 42x45). i will try different setups but always seem to comeback to this one for that pocketing/control feel.

Tod

VGP
09-26-2008, 07:30 AM
Why don't you hybrid the gut in the mains with your normal syn gut in the crosses?

I used to string my PS85s at 65 lbs with 16 gauge solid core, single wrap syn gut like PSGO. Now I use 16 gauge natural gut in the mains. Still at 65 lbs reference tension. I get a boost of power, but it still keeps a bit of dead plasticy stiffness from the crosses.

morten
09-27-2008, 01:17 AM
so you used 65 for the gut too? i would think i would go a bit higher on the gut(3lbs) and keep the syntgut the same?

tennisfreak15347
09-27-2008, 08:31 AM

what natural gut are you using? I hear that Klip Legend is quite crisp and low powered. Maybe you should try that at 49.

davidahenry
09-27-2008, 09:15 AM
what natural gut are you using? I hear that Klip Legend is quite crisp and low powered. Maybe you should try that at 49.

To be clear... You are saying that Legend is low powered for gut (or compated to VS), right? Gut, in general, cannot be considered low powered, right?

Take care.