PDA

View Full Version : WOW Lowered Tension Equals Less Spin

Conquistador
09-26-2008, 06:30 AM
I just got my 03 restrung to a lower tension 51 lbs with pirnce synthetic gut 16 guage with duraflex---noticed i lost a lot of spin..Gained a lot of vibration though...I was wondering if the guage of the string will equal spin loss

scotus
09-26-2008, 07:27 AM
What may have happened is this:

When you lower tension, the ball travels longer. So you end up adjusting your strokes in order to keep the ball in the court.

This usually results in a slower racquet head speed, hence less spin.

Conquistador
09-26-2008, 09:20 AM
I am actually swinging harder to put more of a slice on the ball--the ball is not spinning as much as my old string (pro lightning xx @ 58 lbs) I want to put more spin on--

YULitle
09-26-2008, 09:29 AM
I am actually swinging harder to put more of a slice on the ball--the ball is not spinning as much as my old string (pro lightning xx @ 58 lbs) I want to put more spin on--

If you are doing something different with your swing at all then it's near impossible to gauge the differences.

Adjust the equipment to your game, not the other way around.

ls206
09-26-2008, 09:32 AM
I actually read somewhere that with regards to tension, the higher the tension the more spin. but the relationship is very very weak, like for every 10lbs you gain <5% spin.
(I don't know how they tested the spin..)

there are different views
the looser the string, the more time the ball spends on the strings - more spin
or
the tighter the string the more the ball is compressed/the more the strings bite - more spin.

the latter seems to be more correct.

YULitle
09-26-2008, 09:36 AM
I actually read somewhere that with regards to tension, the higher the tension the more spin. but the relationship is very very weak, like for every 10lbs you gain <5% spin.
(I don't know how they tested the spin..)

there are different views
the looser the string, the more time the ball spends on the strings - more spin
or
the tighter the string the more the ball is compressed/the more the strings bite - more spin.

the latter seems to be more correct.

That's mainly because the increase in dwell-time is nearly insignificant.

ronalditop
09-26-2008, 12:32 PM
when you string higher you can hit the ball harder and that means more raquet speed leading to more spin. thats why i string high.

baek57
09-26-2008, 03:03 PM
sorry dude, lower tension didnt cause your loss of spin. your change in technique caused it.

CHOcobo
09-26-2008, 08:40 PM
it doesn't make sense to me that lower tension produce less spin. it should produce more since their is a little more contact area and time. your swings are different you just don't know it.

ls206
09-26-2008, 10:46 PM
it doesn't make sense to me that lower tension produce less spin. it should produce more since their is a little more contact area and time.
This is what YULitle was talking about with the dwell-time. the difference between the time the ball stays on the strings of high and low tensions is so small it can be disregarded.