PDA

View Full Version : K6.1 Champions Choice Hybrid

Takenobu
09-27-2008, 02:56 AM
Hi,

I've been thinking about ordering the Champions Chioce Hybrid strings from TW, but I also read that some people use string savers like this one: "http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACBAB-EC2.html" is it something you can recommend? And if you can, how many should be applied?

ls206
09-27-2008, 03:16 AM
It's recommended if you are a string breaker and want to extend the life of your strings. You can apply as many as you want, you want to focus them where string breaks usually occur (or fraying)
edit: I noticed your rated as 1.5, I doubt you'll need to use string savers as it's unlikely you'll break a string before you want a new string job. However, it's your choice and using them will do you no harm :)

babolat15
09-27-2008, 05:35 AM
if you truly are a beginner right now it doesn't make sense to go out and buy expensive strings, you wont get the qualities out of it that more advanced players do...champions choice is more marketed to more advanced player i think...i would highly recommend you going with a string like wilson stamina or just a plain synthetic gut

Takenobu
09-27-2008, 08:04 AM
Ok thanks.

I've been using the K6.1 for over a year now, and the strings are pretty dead now, so I thought I wanted to try some other strings just this once.

I have Wilson sensation in about all my rackets and i'm pretty tired of them :D

tennisfreak15347
09-27-2008, 08:16 AM
Try a full set of Babolat VS gut, it will be pretty exciting :D.

bluescreen
09-27-2008, 08:40 AM
Ok thanks.

I've been using the K6.1 for over a year now, and the strings are pretty dead now, so I thought I wanted to try some other strings just this once.

I have Wilson sensation in about all my rackets and i'm pretty tired of them :D

when was the last time u strung your racquet? if its been over a year since restringing and u havent broken the strings, i'd suggest going with natural gut.

Takenobu
09-27-2008, 09:18 AM
It's actually only been recently, as in the last two times where i've had the chance to play at 100% power on my groundstrokes - I guess that's why they've lasted this long. But that's only because I hit almost all my shots cleanly when the rally is at a normal and not too fast pace.

In)SpiRe
09-27-2008, 09:20 AM
Well if you are a 1.5, I would suggest, if you really want something top notch, Babolat VS Gut. Otherwise I would just suggest you a normal synthetic gut until you get your strokes down.

Takenobu
09-27-2008, 09:27 AM
I measured the 1.5 one year ago when I started, and i'd probably say i'm somewhere around 2.5-3.0 now though.

If I go for 100% natural gut is there a thumb rule for how much I should up the tension? I've been playing mainly with my K6.1 which was strung at 25 kg (last year) with Wilson Sensation. I'd be blasting most of the balls out if I changed to natural gut with the same tension right?

If I go for 50/50 as in Champions Choice should I lower the tension for the crosses (Lux) a little compared to the gut? I was thinking of trying something like 24 kg / 23 kg (mains/crosses).

ls206
09-27-2008, 10:39 AM
would the gut not be on the crosses?
keep in mind you may not benefit fully from using a poly/gut combo. There's a number of threads concerning poly strings and the amount of "work" is required to play with them.

Poly is usually recommended strung 10% lower,

Takenobu
09-27-2008, 11:26 AM
Oh so 24/22 kg for gut/lux wouldn't be too far fetched?

tennisfreak15347
09-27-2008, 11:56 AM
Oh so 24/22 kg for gut/lux wouldn't be too far fetched?

no, that is good. just make sure you put the natural gut in the mains, as 2.5-3.5 would benifit most from this type of combination, compared to having Luxilon in the mains. Have gut mains around 2-3lbs higher than you strung your sensation (i dont know the conversion between lbs and kg) and string your luxilon at 22kg.

jim e
09-27-2008, 12:02 PM
If you go with Champions choice, I believe I remember reading somewhere, either on these boards, or another stringers boards, that their nat. gut looks different than it once did, and their was a ? about its quality of the gut used in the Champions choice recently.You may wish to just pick up a pack of VS, and a pack of Lux. alu rough, and make your own, then you will have enough for 2 set ups, and can then change tensions later if you decide to try another tension than you 1st try. Just a suggestion.

tennisfreak15347
09-27-2008, 12:14 PM
If you go with Champions choice, I believe I remember reading somewhere, either on these boards, or another stringers boards, that their nat. gut looks different than it once did, and their was a ? about its quality of the gut used in the Champions choice recently.You may wish to just pick up a pack of VS, and a pack of Lux. alu rough, and make your own, then you will have enough for 2 set ups, and can then change tensions later if you decide to try another tension than you 1st try. Just a suggestion.

yes, there's been a debate on whether Babolat has been giving Wilson their inferior gut, since Babolat makes Wilson natural gut. It's better to buy it from the Original manufacturer.

Takenobu
09-27-2008, 12:18 PM
Have gut mains around 2-3lbs higher than you strung your sensation (i dont know the conversion between lbs and kg) and string your luxilon at 22kg.

Mains: 2-3 lbs higher than my sensation which was strung at 25 kg last year would equal to about 26 kg / 57.3 lbs
Crosses: 22 kg / 48.5 lbs

That's quite a difference? I was thinking something like this:

Crosses: Lux @ 23 kg / 50.7 lbs
Mains: Nat. gut @ 24 kg / 53 lbs

Difference is roughly 2,5 lbs?

Update!

Just found this:

Either way, Wilson recommends installing the Alu Power 10 percent below your normal tension. (Federer has his Alu Power crosses strung 1.5 kilos lower than the gut mains.)

So Alu Power at 10% lower than my normal let's say 24 kg would give 21,6 kg. So if we say that it should be 1.5 kilo lower than the mains then it would mean the gut would be 20,1 kg giving:
Mains: 20,1 kg / 44.3 lbs
Crosses: 21,6 kg / 47.6 lbs

Woah now i'm confused...

jim e,
Thanks for the adivice. I heard it was just a bundle anyway so i'll check it out!