PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone sell Natural Gut reels

Schills
09-27-2008, 07:29 PM
Is there such a thing? Specifically Babolat Tonic +, but would be interested in others as well.

Infl8edEg0
09-27-2008, 07:40 PM
I don't think so, because weather and such would wreck it, and it would be kept in the air, not sealed which could also ruin the string. I'm pretty sure this is why, can someone else clarify?

supertrex
09-27-2008, 07:40 PM
I was wondering myself also.

If ever there was it is gonna be sooo expensive.

I thought theres a shelf life on Nat Gut.

jim e
09-27-2008, 07:41 PM
Is there such a thing? Specifically Babolat Tonic +, but would be interested in others as well.

No there is not. The gut is in sealed packs to keep its shelf life longer, to protect it from temp. and humidity, sun light, etc.so when you open the pack it is fresh, and not dried out and brittle.
Although a couple months ago, I hit with my old Tad Davis woodie, that I strung with bow brand gut back in 1971, and it still played well after all these years! I even won my match with it.

bladepdb
09-27-2008, 08:07 PM
I do. 10 chars

YULitle
09-27-2008, 08:23 PM
They don't exist.

dpfrazier
09-27-2008, 08:38 PM
No there is not. The gut is in sealed packs to keep its shelf life longer, to protect it from temp. and humidity, sun light, etc.so when you open the pack it is fresh, and not dried out and brittle.
Although a couple months ago, I hit with my old Tad Davis woodie, that I strung with bow brand gut back in 1971, and it still played well after all these years! I even won my match with it.
Wow, this brings back memories... is your racquet one of the Classics? Probably the most flexible racquets ever created...

Necroblood
09-27-2008, 09:06 PM
Um cow intestines can only be so long... I don't think they could spontaneously make reels of that stuff.

09-28-2008, 01:48 AM
I have a 200m reel... how much would you offer??:)

jim e
09-28-2008, 06:20 AM
Wow, this brings back memories... is your racquet one of the Classics? Probably the most flexible racquets ever created...

Did you hit with that as well? I had to switch to a different one(I went to a Slazenger Challenge NO 1), as the Tad would break on overheads or serves, the head would fly off. I was breaking tracquets, not strings, as I was never a string breaker.I did enjoy that Tad, brought back memories when I heard the sound that it made when I hit with it again.

BTW Necroblood: I don't believe that the lenght of the intestines have anything to do with it, as the fibers are woven together. I believe that only a small part of the intestines are used as well.I'm sure its more for preservation of the string.

dpfrazier
09-28-2008, 07:49 AM
Did you hit with that as well? I had to switch to a different one(I went to a Slazenger Challenge NO 1), as the Tad would break on overheads or serves, the head would fly off. I was breaking tracquets, not strings, as I was never a string breaker.I did enjoy that Tad, brought back memories when I heard the sound that it made when I hit with it again.
Yes, I used both the Classic and Classic II for awhile back in the early 70s, among a bunch of other frames (Wilson Kramer Autograph, Dunlop Maxply, Spalding Gonzales...)

Nanshiki
09-28-2008, 07:57 AM
BTW Necroblood: I don't believe that the lenght of the intestines have anything to do with it, as the fibers are woven together. I believe that only a small part of the intestines are used as well.I'm sure its more for preservation of the string.

Uh, no, it actually is. Just watch a video about how it's made.

Not to mention a reel would be like 500 bucks.

psp2
09-28-2008, 08:05 AM

Uh, no. You're very misinformed. Serosa's length would never produce a reel of gut.

supertrex
09-28-2008, 08:38 AM
so how long is the shelf life for gut?

What if I did a hybrid and I wanna save my string gut for later use. will that expire also?

hmmm so we have to treat it like meat and put it inside the fridge?

YULitle
09-28-2008, 08:41 AM

You were miss-informed.

Nanshiki
09-28-2008, 08:54 AM
Natural gut reels are impossible regardless of their storage and temperature conditions. Let's remember where we get natural gut from. The length required for a reel of natural gut does not exist in any cow. The length of the natural gut is limited by the length of the useable section of the cow's intestine. And since it is impossible to join two sections end to end, we cannot possibly have natural gut by the reel.

By you apparently.

YULitle
09-28-2008, 09:21 AM
By you apparently.

Oh boy do I feel sheepish...

I completely miss-read your post, and apologize.

jim e
09-28-2008, 09:49 AM

Your statement contradicts itself.As if it is one entire lenght of intestine like you mention, and not spun together, how would you get a reel for even 500 bucks? Is there an intestine available that long for the $500?Animal would have to have a lot of guts!
Also, a reel for $500.00 would be worth getting, considering VS touch goes for $35./pack.
I would gladly pay $500.00 for a 660' reel of vs touch, as I use a good amount of it, besides me and brother, I have a good # of people that requests VS 16g.That is why I always have a good supply on hand.

Eric4
09-28-2008, 10:02 AM
If you slay a dragon, he might have a large enough intestine to make a reel or 2 of gut.

jim e
09-28-2008, 10:58 AM

Here you go this quote is from TW site on gut strings, so I don't know what video you were watching or what you may have been smoking watching it, but this statement from TW site tells you that it takes approx. 3 cows to make 1 set of strings, so how is it not woven or spun together? below it the paragraph fromTW:
"Fortunately for tennis players, the serosa from a cow's intestine fits the bill nicely. A cow's serosa has a greater tensile strength than sheep gut and it is also longer. However, the serosa is only a small part of the intestine and it takes about three cows to produce one set of tennis string."
The above quote can be found on the TW string description site!!So you can see it is not limited by the lenght of the animals guts!! That is just a false statement!I kept seeing this statement come up a # of times, this should put it to rest. I did not even have to go far to get you this.Good enough!

tennisfreak15347
09-28-2008, 11:09 AM
its not the length of the cow guts, as stated above, but the shelf life of the gut that keep it from being produced in a reel, as the package is anti-humidity sealed shut, along with excess air being shut out to prevent drying.

jim e
09-28-2008, 11:11 AM
its not the length of the cow guts, as stated above, but the shelf life of the gut that keep it from being produced in a reel, as the package is anti-humidity sealed shut, along with excess air being shut out to prevent drying.

That is exactly as I have been saying all along, but others here said they saw videos stating differently, and that I was wrong.I just wanted to clairify that the lenght of the intestine has nothing to do with it,. People have stated here a # of times that is does.Below is link for those that think it does.Hope that this finally puts this myth to rest!!
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/Naturalgut.html
here you go

gotriceap07
09-28-2008, 12:06 PM
gut only sells in separate packaging, only multifilaments similar to that of gut like nxt and technifibre nrg sell in reels

pow
09-28-2008, 12:41 PM
If you slay a dragon, he might have a large enough intestine to make a reel or 2 of gut.

But dragon gut plays like syn gut. No thanks.

Nanshiki
09-28-2008, 04:11 PM
That is exactly as I have been saying all along, but others here said they saw videos stating differently, and that I was wrong.I just wanted to clairify that the lenght of the intestine has nothing to do with it,. People have stated here a # of times that is does.Below is link for those that think it does.Hope that this finally puts this myth to rest!!
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/Naturalgut.html
here you go

They say that it take's three cows worth of serosa, they do not say that it's woven together end to end.

And from TW's description, it sounds like they make it one set at a time.

The video I saw was on the Tennis Channel and I'm pretty sure it said that length was one of the reasons they don't make it in reels.

mraznman
09-28-2008, 06:22 PM
I have a 200m reel... how much would you offer??:)

i'm sure u mean synthetic gut