PDA

View Full Version : Snapped main TWICE while stringing, what am i doing wrong?

Drewwonu
09-28-2008, 09:18 AM
What am i doing wrong? This is the 2nd time using my klippermate and i am trying to string my prince 03 hybrid spectrum at 62 with klippermate synth. gut 17. Two times i broke a main while stringing. Why is this happening? I am getting sincerely ****ed off. Everything went smoothly the first time i used it but it seems this time everything is going wrong.

PLEASE HELP!!!

benasp
09-28-2008, 09:44 AM
Can you describe exactly when the string broke and also what kind of stringing machine is it (flying clamp, fixed etc.)

Drewwonu
09-28-2008, 09:54 AM
Its a klippermatem with the klippermate flying clamps/ I broke on the 4th or so main, when i changed sides to even out the number of mains.

tennisfreak15347
09-28-2008, 10:09 AM
are you gripping the strings too tight? are you inserting the string into the tensioner correctly?

scotus
09-28-2008, 10:11 AM
Are you letting the weight drop too quick? Don't lift it up too high.

Also, check your grommet for any sharp or broken edges.

rich s
09-28-2008, 10:13 AM
Are you pushing the arm down?

Drewwonu
09-28-2008, 10:26 AM
I am not pushing the arm down, i am letting gravity take it. I am also not letting it drop too quick. What i did notice is both times when it snapped it was on the first main and it was when i dropped the weight and the weight was lower than level. It is not snapping near a clamp or near a grommet, it is in the middle of a main. Would this make a difference?

tennisfreak15347
09-28-2008, 10:48 AM
I am not pushing the arm down, i am letting gravity take it. I am also not letting it drop too quick. What i did notice is both times when it snapped it was on the first main and it was when i dropped the weight and the weight was lower than level. It is not snapping near a clamp or near a grommet, it is in the middle of a main. Would this make a difference?

are you sure its not near the grommets? if it's snapping at the same location, it could be a sharp edge.

benasp
09-28-2008, 11:07 AM
I'd inspect the string to check if there is mark of wear due to the clamp at other place than the rupture point, this will indicate a problem with the clamp. Cause if it's the first main , the only thing that coulad have damaged it is the clamp. Then if it's not the clamp, it's the string than can't handle the tension for whatever reason.

Hope this will help

Drewwonu
09-28-2008, 01:37 PM
I do have my clamps very tight because they always slip off the strings and i always end up starting over. Would this cause the problem? What could i do to keep my clamps on without damaging the string.

Cup8489
09-28-2008, 01:46 PM
I do have my clamps very tight because they always slip off the strings and i always end up starting over. Would this cause the problem? What could i do to keep my clamps on without damaging the string.

check to make sure that they're clean. clamps that get the grime and wax from certain synthetic guts cause slippage due to buildup.

rubbing alcohol works very well for me. make sure the gripper on the tensioner and the clamps are clean, and only make the clamps as tight as necessary, no tighter.

scotus
09-28-2008, 01:46 PM
I don't know anything about Klippermate strings.

But some strings are just low quality and prone to snapping on the machine.

In the past I had little luck keeping Tecnifibre e-matrix from snapping on the machine.

Drewwonu
09-28-2008, 02:22 PM
check to make sure that they're clean. clamps that get the grime and wax from certain synthetic guts cause slippage due to buildup.

rubbing alcohol works very well for me. make sure the gripper on the tensioner and the clamps are clean, and only make the clamps as tight as necessary, no tighter.

How tight is "as tight as necessary"? I have the clamps set so tight that it is hard to take off once they are on. In the past ive found it necessary to put them on pretty tight due to slippage. I always clean the strings and clamps before using to try to reduce it.

Drewwonu
09-28-2008, 04:28 PM
my clamps were too tight, i tried it again and finished under an hour. :) thanks for the help guys

tennisfreak15347
09-28-2008, 05:53 PM
my clamps were too tight, i tried it again and finished under an hour. :) thanks for the help guys

by a rule of thumb, you should see little to no clamp marks on the strings.

Drewwonu
09-28-2008, 06:15 PM
Theres alot of clamp marks :(

Tim W
09-29-2008, 02:25 AM
Theres alot of clamp marks :(

Well then this is the problem. It is creating a weak point, and when there is 50/60 lbs pulling on it, then it could break.
I'd suggest either cleaning the clamps or getting new ones if the cleaning doesn't work.