PDA

View Full Version : Vantage or Babolat Leather??

Gugafan
09-28-2008, 04:58 PM
I am currently using a grip 4 3/8 and I would not like to increase the grip size much. It would be desirable however, for the leather to be slightly thicker then the 'White Hydrosorb grip' that comes originally with my MG Prestige. Can anyone provide info on thickness of Babolat and Vantage Leather??.

Much appreciated.

Forgot to mention I will be using a tournagrip ontop.

0range
09-28-2008, 05:28 PM
Well I don't know about the actual thickness of the grips in comparison, but I played with white hydrosorb with turna overgrip for a year, and just recently switched to Babolat leather with turna... didn't notice a change in grip size at all, just different feel.

iplaybetter
09-28-2008, 08:27 PM
the babolat leather i used was total crap, i am usng pacific leather atm and loving it, gamma is also nice, but on the thick side

Gugafan
09-28-2008, 09:22 PM
Well I don't know about the actual thickness of the grips in comparison, but I played with white hydrosorb with turna overgrip for a year, and just recently switched to Babolat leather with turna... didn't notice a change in grip size at all, just different feel.

What racquet do you use?...what were the noticeable differences if any?. The head grip shape is fairly rectangular compared to most grip shapes...will leather accentuate this problem??.

Thanks guys

0range
09-28-2008, 11:17 PM
What racquet do you use?...what were the noticeable differences if any?. The head grip shape is fairly rectangular compared to most grip shapes...will leather accentuate this problem??.

Thanks guys

Yes the leather does accentuate the "problem", as you can better feel the bevels on the handle. I also use a head racquet so I know what you're talking about.

However, in my case, I love the Babolat leather! I feel that I can grip the racquet a lot better and hence hit more solid groundstrokes. It could just be the "placebo effect".. doesn't matter, 3 weeks into the switch and I'm still loving it.

In fact, any future racquet that I buy, first thing I'd do is switch the replacement grip to leather.

stoble
09-29-2008, 03:44 PM
The Babolat definitely won't make your grip size any bigger. It's one of the thinnest leathers and I thought it made my 4 1/2 seem smaller. The wilson leather won't change the grip size much, maybe a tad bigger. The gamma is the thickest of these 3 and will noticeably increase your grip size. Overall I like the Babolat, it felt softer than the other 2. If Tennis Warehouse would hurry up and stock their Private label leather grips you could choose what thickness, but until then...

Gugafan
09-29-2008, 07:00 PM
Yes the leather does accentuate the "problem", as you can better feel the bevels on the handle. I also use a head racquet so I know what you're talking about.

However, in my case, I love the Babolat leather! I feel that I can grip the racquet a lot better and hence hit more solid groundstrokes. It could just be the "placebo effect".. doesn't matter, 3 weeks into the switch and I'm still loving it.

In fact, any future racquet that I buy, first thing I'd do is switch the replacement grip to leather.

I think I will be switching to leather. Did you also experience problems with Head (Prestige) grip shape with the hydrosorb. I find I cant get my grip in position in particular on high ball shots towards my forehand.

0range
09-29-2008, 07:16 PM
I think I will be switching to leather. Did you also experience problems with Head (Prestige) grip shape with the hydrosorb. I find I cant get my grip in position in particular on high ball shots towards my forehand.

I've only used head racquets so I never really have had problems with grip shape.

I thought about changing the grip shape to make it more "normal" (guys at the local racquet shop can do it for $10), but then I thought, what's "normal"? it's about what you're used to.

So you can either get used to the grip shape of your head racquet, or you can get it modified so it'll shape more like a Wilson or a Babolat. The guy who was gonna modify my racquet grip says the change in grip size will be very minimal, if not none.

srv vlly
10-05-2008, 09:44 AM
the babolat leather i used was total crap, i am usng pacific leather atm and loving it, gamma is also nice, but on the thick side

if you don't mind me asking, where did you get the pacific leather?