PDA

View Full Version : Anyone recognize this drop weight machine?

skierpaul
09-28-2008, 09:34 PM
I picked this guy up on some auction site which sells lots of stuff; I'd love to find out more about it. Have you seen me?

The only logo is located on the bottom of the support towers, its of a tennis racket with a crown above it.

I added the 90 degree brackets on the turntable to ease up the lateral pressure on the cross bar when I'm stringing crosses. The drop weight arm doesn't have a stop so that's why its leaning on the racket support. I don't know if the stop is broken, or if the machine was made this way (I'd like to know this as well). Btw, its a clutch type, not a ratcheting type of drop weight mechanism.

Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

http://i33.tinypic.com/33viv5k.jpg

http://i33.tinypic.com/2u7287d.jpg

brownbearfalling
09-29-2008, 12:04 AM
You should post a picture of it's logo. Where is it made?
________
California dispensary (http://california.dispensaries.org/)

theace21
09-29-2008, 05:33 AM
It looks like an old stringer that was sold by R A Y C O Tennis out of San Diego. The original was called the BR-3. Did it come with the flying clamps?

gkamieneski
09-29-2008, 08:55 AM
Can you show us a picture of the machine? I'm interested to see these 90 degree supports you speak of.

skierpaul
09-29-2008, 10:03 PM
TheAce21: No, unfortunately it didn't come with flying clamps. I picked up a pair of the plastic Prince/Gamma clamps to use with it. Thanks for the insight, btw! It sounds like you're not a 100% sure though?

gkamieneski: the pictures are in my original post, did you not see them? The brackets are pretty small, but you can see them fine. I screwed them into the aluminum cross bar with short, self tapping screws.

- Paul

skierpaul
09-29-2008, 10:06 PM
Here's a pic of the logo:

http://i38.tinypic.com/3008arm.jpg

kashgotmoney
09-29-2008, 10:51 PM
looks like an old eagnas

gkamieneski
09-30-2008, 02:57 AM
Guess I'm not seeing the pictures in the message posts. Is there a setting I need to turn on? thx

gkamieneski
09-30-2008, 04:05 AM
My fault. My company is blocking your image hosting site, but gives me no warning, so I just don't see them. No error, no message, no nothing.

That is an old BR3. I'm still using one, but my takeup spool doesn't have the constant pull feature, rather you have to wrap the string around a rubber band surrounding the clutched hub. Looks like the tower was moved to the right.

Can't tell where you made the modifications. I see holes and some sheet metal towards the base of the turntable, but the large cross pieced look to be attached to the tower mounts.

gkamieneski
09-30-2008, 05:09 AM
Original BR3 Stringer from San Diego.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3287/2901132551_fa7fbb3ed0_m.jpg

gkamieneski
09-30-2008, 05:11 AM
Original BR3 Stringer from San Diego.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3287/2901132551_fa7fbb3ed0.jpg?v=0

SteveI
09-30-2008, 06:15 AM
I picked this guy up on some auction site which sells lots of stuff; I'd love to find out more about it. Have you seen me?

The only logo is located on the bottom of the support towers, its of a tennis racket with a crown above it.

I added the 90 degree brackets on the turntable to ease up the lateral pressure on the cross bar when I'm stringing crosses. The drop weight arm doesn't have a stop so that's why its leaning on the racket support. I don't know if the stop is broken, or if the machine was made this way (I'd like to know this as well). Btw, its a clutch type, not a ratcheting type of drop weight mechanism.

Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

http://i33.tinypic.com/33viv5k.jpg

http://i33.tinypic.com/2u7287d.jpg

Hi,

I can't say for sure.. but it does look like an Alpha design. Built like a tank... could be an Alpha.

Steve

Steve Huff
09-30-2008, 06:44 AM
Those are about the best floating clamps you'll ever see. I have a pair. They are heavy duty and fast and easy to use. The spring makes them exert enough pressure to hold the string, but unlike vice clamps, they don't overdo the pressure put on the string.

gkamieneski
09-30-2008, 07:12 AM
Those are about the best floating clamps you'll ever see. I have a pair. They are heavy duty and fast and easy to use. The spring makes them exert enough pressure to hold the string, but unlike vice clamps, they don't overdo the pressure put on the string.

I find them a little hard to use because of their teeth spacing dating back to woodie days, plus they're rather wide. Also, they are nearly impossible to use on an OS 16x19 frame. My Son's 110 LM2 Pro I reckon is the best test for any stringing machine and/or clamp.

I use them, but often I rely on an old "vice-grip" clamp from an even older Tremont.

supertrex
09-30-2008, 08:08 AM
thats a nice looking machine. looks well built. but simple. how much did u get it?

gkamieneski
09-30-2008, 09:12 AM
If I could only figure a way to install the linear drum on my BR3 with the rubber band drum, my stringer would be much improved. That and the wider platforms for lateral support in SkierPaul's photo.

theace21
09-30-2008, 05:30 PM
I still have my BR-3 in a box in the garage. I agree with Steve Huff, these are great floating clamps. I still use them for fan pattern rackets.

Brings back memories from the 70's...

supertrex
09-30-2008, 05:36 PM
it looks like the Gamma X-2 now. hehe

skierpaul
09-30-2008, 08:53 PM
I paid $77 + $28 to ship. About every screw on the thing was loose when I got it, but a trip to the hardware store for a nut and those angle brackets fixed it up really nice.

So now that we've confirmed its a BR-3, who made it? Was it R A Y C O like Ace mentioned, or were they just a distributor?

Great feedback guys. Thanks!
- Paul

gkamieneski
10-01-2008, 07:58 AM
I still have my BR-3 in a box in the garage. I agree with Steve Huff, these are great floating clamps. I still use them for fan pattern rackets.

Brings back memories from the 70's...

Ace, did your BR-3 have the linear pull and the lateral supports like SkierPaul?

b0oMeR
10-01-2008, 02:45 PM
ouch over 100 bucks for an old stringing machine?...

Klippermate is the same price lol

SteveI
10-01-2008, 04:48 PM
ouch over 100 bucks for an old stringing machine?...

Klippermate is the same price lol

Dude,

I paid about 100 skins for my old used Alpha (6 point mounting system with linear ball-bearing gripper) dropweight, and I have owned the Klipermate. IMHO, the Alpha is about 100 % better than the Klippermate. BTW, a new Klippermate is about $150.00 now. Ouch back at ya

Steve

b0oMeR
10-01-2008, 04:49 PM
Dude,

I paid about 100 skins for my old used Alpha (6 point mounting system with linear ball-bearing gripper) dropweight, and I have owned the Klipermate. IMHO, the Alpha is about 100 % better than the Klippermate. BTW, a new Klippermate is about $150.00 now. Ouch back at ya

Steve

Nice find. I bought a Ektelon for 300$ , used but still good shape =]

theace21
10-01-2008, 07:06 PM
Ace, did your BR-3 have the linear pull and the lateral supports like SkierPaul?

I added the linear pull, but not on the lateral supports. It used to have a large rubber band your wrapped the string around. They offered the linear pull as an upgrade if I remember correctly. I bought mine in 75 or 76. Just a few years ago...

skierpaul
10-02-2008, 07:18 PM
So do we know who actually made the BR3? Was it R A Y CO, or were they just the distributor? Are there any labels on yours which may provide some additional insight? I want to fwd the info the the photostringer site.

theace21
10-03-2008, 05:32 AM
So do we know who actually made the BR3? Was it R A Y CO, or were they just the distributor? Are there any labels on yours which may provide some additional insight? I want to fwd the info the the photostringer site.

I still have mine, it is up in a box in the garage - when I saw that silver sticker I new it was my old machine. If you are really curious, I thing Bob Ray still has a tennis shop is San Diego. I stumbled across it once. He used to advertise in tennis magazine, and sell his stringer and own "brand" of string. (I did a search try this - t e n n i s r a y s d o t c o m.) Couldn't find anything about the BR-3. Let me know if you find anything. Good Luck...

gkamieneski
10-03-2008, 08:07 AM
I added the linear pull, but not on the lateral supports. It used to have a large rubber band your wrapped the string around. They offered the linear pull as an upgrade if I remember correctly. I bought mine in 75 or 76. Just a few years ago...

By lateral supports, I meant the large platform that the racquet rests on, not the sheet metal angles Skierpaul attached at the base of the turntable. Did your machine look exactly as his picture? thx

theace21
10-03-2008, 04:35 PM
By lateral supports, I meant the large platform that the racquet rests on, not the sheet metal angles Skierpaul attached at the base of the turntable. Did your machine look exactly as his picture? thx

No. Hope this helps...

Blk&Gld
06-12-2011, 04:54 AM
My parents bought this machine for me in '78 because we lived in a small MN farm town and I broke strings like crazy. It gave up the ghost a couple of years ago. I still have the flying clamps, both the close and wide toothed versions. The spring was the weak link. When they were no longer available it was toast.

Donny0627
06-12-2011, 05:58 AM
:) your a new user so ill inform you. When browsing through threads, dont post in them if they havent been posted in for 2 years...

Blk&Gld
06-17-2011, 12:07 PM
Wow! Post Nazis here too. Thank god my grammar was passable.