PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid 101

0range
09-29-2008, 01:03 AM
After failing to find a string that suits me (both powerful and comfortable), I've decided to give hybrid a try for the first time.

Are there any simple rules to follow? Like what to use for main and what to use for cross? Can main and cross be string-ed at different tensions?

I am thinking of poly for main (for power) at 52 and syn gut for cross (for comfort) at 57.

bladepdb
09-29-2008, 05:58 PM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=2619091&postcount=3

I explain in detail my understanding of hybrids. Hope that helps.

09-30-2008, 11:18 AM
After failing to find a string that suits me (both powerful and comfortable), I've decided to give hybrid a try for the first time.

Are there any simple rules to follow? Like what to use for main and what to use for cross? Can main and cross be string-ed at different tensions?

I am thinking of poly for main (for power) at 52 and syn gut for cross (for comfort) at 57.

Remember, polys don't give give power, they control it. Not sure what you meant by poly for mains (power). If you meant to control your power, you are correct.

I would say poly mains, for spin, control and durability.

SlapShot
09-30-2008, 11:43 AM
I use a poly main to reduce the power of the frame (and allow my swing speed to stay high for spin production) and a crisp syn gut in the cross to soften up the string bed and save a bit of cash.

Generally, people put the more durable string in the mains, but there aren't really any hard or fast rules. They're more like guidelines.

0range
10-04-2008, 12:08 AM
Also, is it more expensive to have my racquet strung with hybrid (instead of full poly or full syn gut)?

What if I break the main/cross, can I just have the main/cross restring?

ag200boy
10-04-2008, 05:16 AM
no, you need to restring the whole thing