PDA

View Full Version : Racquet Weight and Shoulder Issues

bronco_mba
09-29-2008, 01:27 PM
I had arthroscopic shoulder surgery in February of this year. My recovery has gone quite well, and have been back to playing for quite some time, but on occasion I am bothered by shoulder soreness after playing.

Prior to and after surgery, I had been playing with a Yonex RDS001 MP, which post-customization (leather grip, minor handle customization), weighed in at 12.7 oz. For the past week, I have been experimenting with a Babolat Pure Storm, which is 10.6 oz stock - thinking that a lighter racquet makes for less repetitive force/work for the shoulder. Among other things, I noticed that in playing with the lighter racquet, my occasional shoulder soreness is gone. Granted, it's only one week, but I have played 5 or more times with no symptoms.

Has anyone who has had shoulder pain/soreness experienced a similar reduction in symtoms after switching to a lighter racquet? I'm wondering if I should make a permanent racquet change and would welcome other's input/experiences.

pennc94
09-29-2008, 01:31 PM
Your experience seems contrary to the generally accepted notion that racquets with greater mass are better for your arm .

Are you using the same string setup? Has your technique changed?

bronco_mba
09-29-2008, 01:55 PM
Your experience seems contrary to the generally accepted notion that racquets with greater mass are better for your arm .

Are you using the same string setup? Has your technique changed?

Yes - same string set-up (PSG @ 57#)
No change in technique at all.

I can see how greater mass could be better for your elbow and wrist (less vibration/shock owing to greater mass), but how is better for the shoulder? I'm not arguing the point, just trying to understand.

pennc94
09-29-2008, 02:02 PM
The other measures of the two frames (according to TW) are:

Yonex RDS001 MP: 8 pts HL, Flex = 68, 98 sq. in., 16x19
Babolat Pure Storm: 3pts HL, Flex = 62, 98 sq. in., 16x20

Yonex is more HL so I would have thought it would be better for the arm, but the flex rating makes it much more stiff then the Babolat.

Very curious.

Perhaps your shoulder is stronger. Physical therapy? Maybe you have been away from tennis for so long, more play might bring back shoulder issues?

I am very curious, as I also suffer from shoulder problems.

bronco_mba
09-29-2008, 02:08 PM
Of course fitness and strength is the other part of it. I started to put it in my original response, but stopped short for fear of a long post chasing people with useful input away.

I did follow a good PT program following surgery, and have continued to follow through with a regular gym routine to strengthen the shoulder, rotator cuff, and back. Lately I have been much more disciplined in going to the gym and getting stronger. By and large, it's paying off.

Until last week I was still using the RDS001 MP, going to the gym, and having occasional shoulder soreness after playing.

In the last week, all things constant except the racquet, and I have no shoulder issues thus far. So I'm wondering if its the racquet, or the fitness kicking in, or a combination of both.

pennc94
09-29-2008, 02:14 PM
Maybe the increased flexibility in the Babolat offsets the lower mass?

That would be a very informative outcome.

Whatever it is, glad it is working for you!