PDA

View Full Version : My Dad...

NovakWannabe
09-29-2008, 02:02 PM
...did not believe me when I said I needed to restring my racquet yesterday. I used ALU Power at 55 and Sensation at 52. I've had this setup for over a month. It had lost a ton of tension by yesterday. He didn't believe that a person my age and at my level (14 year old playing for two years; coach says I'm really good for only have played for 2 years, like I play with seniors and juniors on the varsity team at my coach's). He got mad because he didn't want to spend too much money on tennis. Then I showed him Jolly's guide to strings, and POOF! change of opinion! I'm ordering Blue Gear 17 to put in a full set at 55 lbs. in my Microgel Radical Mid+. Wise choice?

baek57
09-29-2008, 02:10 PM
you probably shouldnt be using poly from what i gather.

NovakWannabe
09-29-2008, 02:12 PM
you probably shouldnt be using poly from what i gather.

Actually, my coach reccomended it to me over the summer.

ls206
09-29-2008, 02:17 PM
what's wrong with the combo you had before?

NovakWannabe
09-29-2008, 02:19 PM
what's wrong with the combo you had before?

It was too erratic. Towards the end of its life it gave me too much power, some balls flying out. I want something that gives me a ton of spin.

brucie
09-29-2008, 02:22 PM
Luxilons famous for tension loss, and injury i think your wise to steer clear of it.
Technifibre Redcde or some other polys on the other hand... much better.Also as winter comes where i am and temp drops ur strings will tighten up so u will probably need slacker tensions btw. anyway have fun experimenting.

Hyd
09-29-2008, 02:22 PM
You didn't need to restring... 1 month at your level, you'll barely see a difference. The problem is more in your head than in the strings. Yes it lost tension but there's no need to panic about it. I'm sure if you had a freshly strung racquet and your racquet you would hardly notice any difference.

NovakWannabe
09-29-2008, 02:26 PM
You didn't need to restring... 1 month at your level, you'll barely see a difference. The problem is more in your head than in the strings. Yes it lost tension but there's no need to panic about it. I'm sure if you had a freshly strung racquet and your racquet you would hardly notice any difference.

Actually, I do. When it was freshly strung, I had power, spin, and control. Now I don't have control. And too much power. Less spin too.

b0oMeR
09-29-2008, 02:39 PM

Level of tennis is not determined by amount of time you've been playing but many other factors such as hands and amount of practice too. Some people have very sensitive hands and they can feel very small differences in their racquet. Some have less sensitive hands and don't feel the difference even if they've been playing for 10+ years. Some care and some don't, many personal preference account into stringing.

Hyd
09-29-2008, 02:57 PM
Level of tennis is not determined by amount of time you've been playing but many other factors such as hands and amount of practice too. Some people have very sensitive hands and they can feel very small differences in their racquet. Some have less sensitive hands and don't feel the difference even if they've been playing for 10+ years. Some care and some don't, many personal preference account into stringing.

I know that level is not determined only by amount of time you've been playing but it gives a good idea. I've been playing for 13 years and judging on videos i've seen, my ntrp rating is 5.5 - 6 (theres no such rating in quebec so i can only compare to what i've seen). I've also been stringing for 4 years for the club I play at so I know what I'm talking about. What i'm saying is that too many people blame it on the string when they are on a bad sequence because their timing is not as good as it usually is and timing can definately affect the ball going long, having less power, less control etc... It happens to everyone, even the professionnals get in a slump from time to time but they dont blame it on the strings, which a lot of people do.

Now I'm not really saying that this guy is blaming it on the string for having a bad sequence and I'm not saying that his strings haven't lost tension either but the effect is not THAT big that he needs to change it.

ls206
09-29-2008, 03:01 PM
you should try to look for a string that holds tension well.
that said. Alu power supposedly has good tension stability.
SP poly plasma has been said to hold tension well.

I agree with Boomer, I played for about 10hrs and my tension dropped, I don't know how much, but I couldn't play at all - all my shots were going long and I had to swing very slow to keep the ball in play.

b0oMeR
09-29-2008, 04:02 PM
Hyd your probably a person with high level of tennis that can change stroke speeds within a few minutes of warm up but some like Is206 and OP , can't. Some people get a costumed to a certain tension and only prefer to play within it. I myself have no problem playing with different strings/racquets but I simply prefer to play at MY tension and my strings.

09-29-2008, 06:33 PM
Actually, I do. When it was freshly strung, I had power, spin, and control. Now I don't have control. And too much power. Less spin too.

You are so right about needing to restring. If you are a hard hitting jr, it doesn't matter if you are that good yet or not. You sure don't need loose strings making it that much harder to find your range, especially using lots of spin. Thats not going to help you groove your strokes. I know that sensation strung at 52 was all over the place after a month of your schedule. Also as a big spin hitter, I agree with you that poly is a good idea.

I'm a fan of Big Ace for a guy like you. It will give almost as much spin as Blue Gear and you can use 17 or 18g which will also aid your spin and touch. As a softer poly with some power, it will be more forgiving on your arm and you can string it slightly tighter without expecting problems. I'm thinking maybe 55lbs.

Tim W
09-30-2008, 04:24 AM
I'm sure if you had a freshly strung racquet and your racquet you would hardly notice any difference.
Besides the 10-20 lb difference? Besides one of them feeling like a trampoline? Besides one of them being dead?

ls206
09-30-2008, 05:18 AM
I played tennis with my dad a week ago, he played with my old two identical frames.
the string jobs were although v.old, both done within the same week, the only difference was that one racquet had seen a lot more play and the tension had dropped lower than the other.

I noticed, even if he didn't, his shots and even strokes were a lot better with the racquet that had maintained better tension.

09-30-2008, 12:24 PM

So how's the Blue Gear?
Does it have enough power for you?

NovakWannabe
09-30-2008, 03:49 PM
So how's the Blue Gear?
Does it have enough power for you?

Haven't gotten to string it up yet. In high school tennis we play everyday.

NovakWannabe
09-30-2008, 04:58 PM
Wait, I have an idea. I hear a lot of good things about Big Ace. How would a hybrid of Big Ace and Blue Gear play? Blue Gear mains - 55 | Big Ace crosses - 58

S H O W S T O P P E R !
09-30-2008, 05:12 PM
You think you're dad's cheap? My mom said unless my tennis shoes were under $10, she ain't buying it. I can only buy new gear on holidays and my birthday. She actually wanted to cut up some old sneakers and sew in padding on the sides so she didn't have to buy real shoes. Come Christmas, I'm getting a whole new ensemble and a racket.

09-30-2008, 06:25 PM
Wait, I have an idea. I hear a lot of good things about Big Ace. How would a hybrid of Big Ace and Blue Gear play? Blue Gear mains - 55 | Big Ace crosses - 58

that is supposed to be an excellent hybrid if you have enough bat speed for an all poly set up.

teppeiahn1
09-30-2008, 06:36 PM
haha i feel you showstopper. My parents are somewhat similar to that but like some guy posted, people blame strings too much. I have to hit with very durable polys that has lost its tension but I still love hitting with it (not because of the feel). I got to admit, I wish I had money to restring racquets all the time, but I am just glad to be able to enjoy this game. My dad tells me all the time "Back then, people didn't spend money for sports". He was a poor kid that played soccer with a dirty ball. Anyways, I am glad of what I have and thankful.

baek57
09-30-2008, 09:37 PM
Actually, my coach reccomended it to me over the summer.

why did he recommend poly over any other type of string?

slicekick95
10-01-2008, 06:22 PM
I know that level is not determined only by amount of time you've been playing but it gives a good idea. I've been playing for 13 years and judging on videos i've seen, my ntrp rating is 5.5 - 6 (theres no such rating in quebec so i can only compare to what i've seen). I've also been stringing for 4 years for the club I play at so I know what I'm talking about. What i'm saying is that too many people blame it on the string when they are on a bad sequence because their timing is not as good as it usually is and timing can definately affect the ball going long, having less power, less control etc... It happens to everyone, even the professionnals get in a slump from time to time but they dont blame it on the strings, which a lot of people do.

Now I'm not really saying that this guy is blaming it on the string for having a bad sequence and I'm not saying that his strings haven't lost tension either but the effect is not THAT big that he needs to change it.

i know a kid playing for 2 years, 4.0 - 4.5, i've played 1 1/2 year n im a 4.0

NovakWannabe
10-01-2008, 07:17 PM
why did he recommend poly over any other type of string?

I played with NXT for maybe 4 or 5 lessons (1 and a half hours each) and then the string died. My coach said that when he was my age the same thing used to happen to him and then he switched to Hurricane Tour and Xcel hybrid. He reccomended that too for me but none of my pro shops carry that hybrid.

NovakWannabe
10-01-2008, 07:17 PM
And my coach is 18.

Nanshiki
10-01-2008, 07:30 PM
In that case don't listen to anything he says.

A serious player at that age is probably going to assume that what is good for him is good for every other player... and he's probably young enough to believe that he should be playing with polys just because the pros do.

At the very least, take everything with a grain of salt... most of the stringers I've met don't know jack sh*t about string compared to the average TW member who lurks the string forum, sadly.