PDA

View Full Version : How does an open string pattern result in more power.

d-quik
09-29-2008, 01:16 PM
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/BasicFacts.html

String Fact #4

(Given the same swing motion, stiffness, string tention, and head-handle balance)

Decreased string density (fewer strings) generates more power.

How is this true? Is this the trampoline effect for DEEPER shots? Is this because you can generate topspin so you can hit shots harder and it will still drop into the field of play? Please explain. :(

2ndserveace
09-29-2008, 03:26 PM
There is more of a trampoline effect with an open pattern which causes more power.

d-quik
09-29-2008, 04:06 PM
If I were looking for better depth control (not just hitting it deep every shot) so I can mix up shallow and deep shots, is it better to get a dense or open pattern?

tennisfreak15347
09-29-2008, 04:33 PM
If I were looking for better depth control (not just hitting it deep every shot) so I can mix up shallow and deep shots, is it better to get a dense or open pattern?

I'd go with dense patterns. a more open string pattern results in a softer strinbend, causing more energy to be returned into the ball when the ball leaves the stringbend, aka less strings= more power.

appppppppple
09-29-2008, 05:14 PM
you get more bite though

phucng_10
09-29-2008, 05:40 PM
you get more bite though

I don't really see how you can get more bite with an open string pattern. You will definitely get the ability to create more spin but it also depends on the string that can grip the ball onto the string bed. Then again, ever since I switched to the Fischer with a 16x20 string pattern, it's open but a bit dense so that I can get spin and gain some control while hitting the ball.