PDA

View Full Version : Energy GEL question

octman12
09-29-2008, 03:23 PM
hey is this stuff good for you?

and does it really work?

would this be the one ever heard of it i saw this at sports chalet and yeah?
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c277/ballerj523/Suppliments.jpg

thanks

UnPhzD
09-29-2008, 07:08 PM
dont use it ... or take it ... its bassically taking in chemicals to enhance energy for that hour or so
just eat alot of healthy food

i use to belives on those stff but ehh its bad for you in a sense and its not natural stuff cliff bars before a tennis mathc = good for you lool

Hot Sauce
09-29-2008, 09:16 PM
Just get some NO-XPLOD!

x-treeeem!!!

Serve em Up
10-02-2008, 10:40 AM
It is used by endurance athletes. Runners, Biker, and Triathlon. It is mainly carbohydrate and sodium. Used for fuel after glycogen depletion in long distance events.

For tennis , your better off just eating well.

Gu, Powergel, Hammer Gel, are all simlar brands.

SystemicAnomaly
10-02-2008, 01:56 PM
Rafa Nadal sure believes in energy gels. There was a couple of threads a while back inquiring about which one he used. Not sure if that was ever resolved. Try to dig them up -- there was quite a few recommendations on various gels in those threads.

SystemicAnomaly
10-02-2008, 02:05 PM
Here is 1 of those threads: tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=202337 (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=202337)

princemidplus
10-06-2008, 11:21 AM
they not bad for you in a sense of poisoning or anything. they give a burst of energy but as it is really mostly thick glucose and electrolytes (help maintain mineral/salt balance in blood) and similar it can also drop you from that energy high and leave you feeling worse off if you do not have something that can give a longer sustained release of energy. usully best to take with water or mixed in water.

personally, i found no benefits from these and some taste awful. but each to his/her own.

SystemicAnomaly
10-07-2008, 04:18 AM
they not bad for you in a sense of poisoning or anything. they give a burst of energy but as it is really mostly thick glucose and electrolytes (help maintain mineral/salt balance in blood) and similar it can also drop you from that energy high and leave you feeling worse off if you do not have something that can give a longer sustained release of energy. usually best to take with water or mixed in water...

It would seem that if an energy gel is designed to give you a quick boost, particularly from glucose, it would result in a blood sugar spike & result in a release of insulin. This would likely cause your blood sugar levels to be lower than they were before the energy gel.

Are there any gels out there that would yield a slower, milder blood sugar rise that would not cause a significant insulin release. One designed more for sustained energy?

ttbrowne
10-07-2008, 05:47 AM
I do cardio right after I get off work at 11:30am. I don't have time to eat properly and I used these GEL things. They worked great! But, I never ate a whole package...just half a package was enuf for a full hour of hard cardio.

Il Mostro
10-12-2008, 08:59 AM
It would seem that if an energy gel is designed to give you a quick boost, particularly from glucose, it would result in a blood sugar spike & result in a release of insulin. This would likely cause your blood sugar levels to be lower than they were before the energy gel.

Are there any gels out there that would yield a slower, milder blood sugar rise that would not cause a significant insulin release. One designed more for sustained energy?

Check out Accel Gel (from the makers of Accelerade). Their products have a 4:1 carb to protein ratio -- there may be some validity to the studies supporting its effectiveness. Whether anyone benefits from these products depends on how long and how hard they play.

As a former competitive cyclist, I have used many products over the years to help slow the depletion of muscle glycogen -- no matter how good your daily diet is, *avoiding* the bonk is what these products are all about. Yes, they all contain some type of sugar, but not all result in the quick energy burst/blood sugar spike. I try to use products that are tolerated/easily digestible and include short and longer chain carbohydrates. Usually, if maltodextrin is the primary sugar I have no problems even if sucrose or high fructose syrup are included for their fast action. Accel Gel works well for me based on these criteria.

I drink plenty of water and/or an electrolyte replacement containing no sugars. I do not use Accelerade or any other drink with sugars, as I feel I get better control separating the energy replacement and rehydration functions.