PDA

View Full Version : Choice of 4 soft strings (not gut)

slkbassist
09-29-2008, 05:17 PM
Due to Arm issues, and pretty much want for change I need advice on picking between possible 4 string types available at a local store. Looking for something soft, but not too powerful...I take big, strong, flat swings and don't want the ball flying off court. I have rarely broken strings. I want to try gut sometime, but have to still see if the stringer in my new town is reliable enough since the cost for gut would be $45-60 even if buying from TW due to stringing charges. The following are available in the store and would cost me $29-35.

Looking for soft, easy on the arm, good pocketing, not too powerful, low trampoline effect, plenty of control, no quick deadness or loss of feel

Wilson K-Gut 16

Laserfibre Supernatural Prostock

Babolat XCEL

***On a TW review of Laserfibre, someone posted this and Iso-Speed Professional are essentially the same thing (same product, manufacturer, just a different name) If this is true, let me know it would save me some clams :). Oh ISO-Speed would be bought through TW- but its low cost, makes it reasonable even with stringing charges
*On the TW review

Booyah
09-29-2008, 05:23 PM
iso speed control is amazing, the feel as a multi is great.

slkbassist
09-29-2008, 07:19 PM
Have you played any of the other strings? and if so how is the comparison?

Any more info would be of great help

tennisfreak15347
09-29-2008, 08:21 PM
kgut is without a doubt the best, but it cost just as much as real gut itself.

Valjean
09-29-2008, 08:46 PM
Requirement is you must be familiar with all four strings to participate, I assume... Otherwise, you will only be getting what some people here are most familiar with (too often so).

kashgotmoney
09-29-2008, 11:47 PM
wilson is better than all brands

Il Mostro
09-30-2008, 12:48 AM
wilson is better than all brands

In Bizarro World? You cannot be serious!

Il Mostro
09-30-2008, 12:55 AM
Due to Arm issues, and pretty much want for change I need advice on picking between possible 4 string types available at a local store. Looking for something soft, but not too powerful...I take big, strong, flat swings and don't want the ball flying off court. I have rarely broken strings. I want to try gut sometime, but have to still see if the stringer in my new town is reliable enough since the cost for gut would be $45-60 even if buying from TW due to stringing charges. The following are available in the store and would cost me $29-35.

Looking for soft, easy on the arm, good pocketing, not too powerful, low trampoline effect, plenty of control, no quick deadness or loss of feel

Wilson K-Gut 16

Babolat XCEL

***On a TW review of Laserfibre, someone posted this and Iso-Speed Professional are essentially the same thing (same product, manufacturer, just a different name) If this is true, let me know it would save me some clams :). Oh ISO-Speed would be bought through TW- but its low cost, makes it reasonable even with stringing charges
*On the TW review

Have not played with the Laserfibre, but I have been on the trail of soft, playable multi's for a while now. Excel is a different beast -- soft, comfortable and extremely playable. Excel Power is the next best thing to gut. But it is pretty powerful, so it does not match your parameters. I will be trying Kilp Armour in about a week -- all the good attributes of Klip gut with none of the downside.

slkbassist
09-30-2008, 03:33 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Requirement is you must be familiar with all four strings to participate, I assume... Otherwise, you will only be getting what some people here are most familiar with (too often so).
I guess that would be most helpful, but even familiarity with just 2 would be of great help.

Have not played with the Laserfibre, but I have been on the trail of soft, playable multi's for a while now. Excel is a different beast -- soft, comfortable and extremely playable. Excel Power is the next best thing to gut. But it is pretty powerful, so it does not match your parameters. I will be trying Kilp Armour in about a week -- all the good attributes of Klip gut with none of the downside.

Thanks for the info on the Excel. If I get it, I'l see if it suits my needs, but if I am lacking power for some instance, then I'll try the Power. Good luck with the Klip.

As for KGut being just a few dollars cheaper than real gut, that would be true if I didn't have string charges tacked on...since they have the string in stock, the cost is better.

Anyways I'll swing by the shop on the weekend and see what they have, until then more input is always welcome.:)

dallastxtennis
09-30-2008, 04:49 AM

Wilson K-Gut 16

Babolat XCEL

*On the TW review

Have you ever try Yonex 880ti soft and Weisscannon Exposive, they're very soft string.

slkbassist
09-30-2008, 07:14 AM
Have you ever try Yonex 880ti soft and Weisscannon Exposive, they're very soft string.

No I haven't. I was looking specifically looking at the first 3 b/c they were available locally and I could get them strung for a cheaper rate than buying the string for cheap but getting hit with a strining charge still. But I may consider other options if cheap enough.

Right now KGut or XCel are looking like good options though.

dallastxtennis
09-30-2008, 07:43 AM
No I haven't. I was looking specifically looking at the first 3 b/c they were available locally and I could get them strung for a cheaper rate than buying the string for cheap but getting hit with a strining charge still. But I may consider other options if cheap enough.

Have you consider purchase string machine ? I have a weight drop machine and used it for the last 6 yr and it payoff.

slkbassist
09-30-2008, 10:10 AM
Have you consider purchase string machine ? I have a weight drop machine and used it for the last 6 yr and it payoff.

Nope, I rarely break strings. I would be about 4 years for it to pay off, and since I will be moving in a couple of years again after classes It'll be another thing to carry

Bad Dog
09-30-2008, 12:06 PM

Nope, I rarely break strings.

In my experience, K-Gut is the very best of the best multifilaments – and closest to natural gut. The only complaint is that it costs just a bit more, although luckily you are not a string breaker. But if you’d like to save about five dollars, Xcel is cheaper and almost as good.

TheRealTruth
09-30-2008, 12:16 PM
Have to go with K Gut in the poll. But the softest non gut string is with doubt Yonex 880ti.

game set match 46 TIMES!!
09-30-2008, 12:27 PM
k gut and u get get a mini reel for 35$ its your lucky day but k gut is by far the best string

scotus
09-30-2008, 07:21 PM

Isospeed Professional (Classic) is a lot more arm-friendly and playable than Yonex 880 Ti Soft.

I haven't tried Isospeed Control though, but it's just a thicker gauge of the Professional.

baek57
09-30-2008, 08:22 PM
a kgut/isospeed hybrid is actually pretty decent.

slkbassist
10-04-2008, 04:01 PM
Ok so I went and strun my racquet up with Kgut. Hopefully I will be impressed, since it was pretty expensive. I'm not sure but my local shop may have upped its price a few more dollars still.

Next time definitely ordering strings, and then getting it strung.

counter_puncher
10-05-2008, 12:22 AM
xcel premium is definitely the softest string around.

slkbassist
10-05-2008, 07:24 AM
Yeah looking at the cost I think I am going to try to get Xcel premium or maybe one of the new Technifibres next time around. It will save me about to 10 dollars...after a few more strings, if done well, I might give a shot at gut.

miniRafa386
10-05-2008, 09:07 AM
k gut fo sho, havent tried laserfibre and just judging by the name of the brand it doesnt sound that good, nor do that many people use it. xcel is good, but k gut is def better. as for iso speed control, great string if you dont hit with spin, it was impossible for me to hit spin with it.

TonyB
10-05-2008, 09:31 AM
I guess I'm not sure why you would want to pay $22 for a multifilament (KGut) that has been widely reported to have tension loss issues when you can spend another $3 and get the real thing, natural gut.

I've played with both and I would never consider KGut to be a substitute for natural gut. They play differently, the KGut loses tension much faster, the KGut breaks faster, and doesn't offer the controlled power that natural gut provides.

All in all, it's no contest unless you're REALLY pinching pennies and can't afford that extra 3 bucks.

EDIT: I just re-read the OP's first post and he claims something like $60 for gut due to "TW's stringing charges." I'm not sure what you're talking about here, because you can just buy 3 packs of natural gut at $25 each, get FREE shipping, then just take your strings to your local stringer for installation. Total labor cost for stringing should be the same.

slkbassist
10-05-2008, 11:18 AM
I guess I'm not sure why you would want to pay $22 for a multifilament (KGut) that has been widely reported to have tension loss issues when you can spend another $3 and get the real thing, natural gut.

I've played with both and I would never consider KGut to be a substitute for natural gut. They play differently, the KGut loses tension much faster, the KGut breaks faster, and doesn't offer the controlled power that natural gut provides.

All in all, it's no contest unless you're REALLY pinching pennies and can't afford that extra 3 bucks.

EDIT: I just re-read the OP's first post and he claims something like $60 for gut due to "TW's stringing charges." I'm not sure what you're talking about here, because you can just buy 3 packs of natural gut at $25 each, get FREE shipping, then just take your strings to your local stringer for installation. Total labor cost for stringing should be the same.

Sorry if it wasn't clearer. It isn't TWs string prices. TW has great string prices. My issue is the additional stringing charge that my local tennis shop would charge to string. They tack on $13-15 dollars as a stringing charge not including tax.

Here is the thing also, since as I mentioned I'm not a string breaker, so buying multiple packs at one time seems odd to me. Also it isn't really much about pinching pennies, as it is the issue of having gut. Since I am new to my town, I am still seeing if the stringer is reliable, my first string job was not to my liking, it may have just been the strings though. I don't want to shell out the money for a bad string job. So I opted for the next best thing, looking at a soft multi, that they had in stock.

TonyB
10-05-2008, 11:38 AM
Sorry if it wasn't clearer. It isn't TWs string prices. TW has great string prices. My issue is the additional stringing charge that my local tennis shop would charge to string. They tack on $13-15 dollars as a stringing charge not including tax.

So they add $15 on top of their normal stringing rate just because it's gut?

I'm still not getting it.

If your main concern is to "test out your local stringer", then just buy some cheap Gosen OG Micro at $4 and go that route. It's a nice string and should perform well. And it will allow you to gain confidence in your local shop without spending a lot of money.

I'm still confused as to why the string needs to be "in their stock". Just bring the string WITH you when you go there and have them just charge you for labor.

slkbassist
10-05-2008, 01:39 PM
No they charge 13-15 dollars (13 for synths, 15 for gut) on top for any string that I bring in myself.

I wanted a string that was in stock, because of the ease at the time. From now on I am going to most likely buy online and bring in the strings.

As for testing out the stringer, I wanted a string that I could keep and enjoy while playing, because mentally if I was not satisfied with the quality of string it would be about $20 wasted (string + shipping+ stringer charge).

I realise now it is cheaper to bring my own strings in. However, before they raised costs, it was cheaper to buy from the shop in stock.