PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use High Altitude tennis balls?

pabletion
09-29-2008, 05:51 PM
Hi, I live in Guatemala city (4900 feet above sea level), and have NEVER used high altitude balls..... Anyone in high levl places can give me some feedback? Colorado players..., Bolivia, etc etc...?

Do they last longer than regular pressured balls?

Blade0324
09-30-2008, 12:13 PM
I live in Colorado (About 5500 ft.) and we do use High Altitude balls almost exclusively. For any tournament or league play it is required. As for lasting I would say that they actually last about the same as regular ones but the regular ones right out of the can bounce a bit higher.

Spokewench
09-30-2008, 02:10 PM
Ditto on Blade's answer. I live and play tennis at around 7,000 feet in Arizona. They don't last any longer as far as I can tell. I think that they are a little bit larger than a regular tennis ball.

pabletion
09-30-2008, 08:05 PM
^^ thanks, so do they feel very different? I gotta confess I've never used them. A club pro let me know today that starting next year, all tournaments here (including Futures) are gonna require High Alt. balls. BIG change! Wow, I guess everybody's game is gonna slow down a bit right?

Kirko
10-01-2008, 02:32 PM
Hi, I live in Guatemala city (4900 feet above sea level), and have NEVER used high altitude balls..... Anyone in high levl places can give me some feedback? Colorado players..., Bolivia, etc etc...?

Do they last longer than regular pressured balls?

I lived in Reno,NV and Stateline,NV for many yrs. and used high-altitude balls once in awhile and to be honest didn't really think they were much different than regular balls.

skierpaul
10-01-2008, 09:25 PM
I'm at 6,500 ft in Colorado. High Altitude balls are all that I can get here. I just assumed that they were pressurized differently. Are they really larger in diameter?

Blade0324
10-02-2008, 12:03 PM
I did a little research and found out the the internal pressure of regular and high altitude balls is the same but the high altitude balls are 6% larger thus making them fly a bit more slowly through the air in areas that have lower air pressure (high altitude).

skyman1700
10-02-2008, 08:16 PM
whts the difference between these and regular altitude balls, do they have more air?

pabletion
10-02-2008, 09:13 PM
^^ thats what I wouldve thought, that high altitude balls would have less internal pressure, to compensate for the lower air pressure in higher altitudes, therefore they would play more real, and also would last longer. So theyre just a bit larger I guess.... anyone else?

r2473
10-02-2008, 09:40 PM
I live in Salt Lake City and we use high altitude exclusively. Non-high altitude balls are a joke around here. The ball moves so fast and bounces so high that it is impossible to control. It really just turns into a serving duel.

I question whether it is just that the ball is 6% larger, but I will now have to research this myself. I always assumed they had a lower pressure.

skyman1700
10-02-2008, 10:24 PM
lol it sounds fun playing with regular balls in high altitude...def want to try tht...