PDA

View Full Version : knee injury

mrgonzo
09-29-2008, 08:27 PM
I hurt my left knee today from practicing tennis. My coach was feeding me shots away from me to practice my side to side movement and recovery. As, I was running for a backhand, I felt a sudden pain in my knee. I can still walk, but it isn't comfortable running.

I have a few symptoms. One of my symptoms is when I walk, I feel a need left and bend my leg, in order to "crack" my left knee. I am usually able to create this cracking, but sometimes I am not. Another symptom I have is when I do a hamstring strech, I can't even touch my toes (normally I can touch past them) because when I try streching this far, I FEEL A SHARP PAIN IN THE INSIDE OF MY KNEE. The inside of my knee also hurts when put weight on it while running.

I did some research and I think it might be a sprain in my medial miniscus, but I'm not sure. Does anyone have any other ideas what this injury might be? Also, does anyone know the best way to make this injury better?

Thanks.

mrgonzo
09-30-2008, 08:37 PM
i'm still not sure what exactly i have and how it should be treated. any response would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Chauvalito
09-30-2008, 08:44 PM
I would suggest visiting a Doctor if your pain continues. It is better to be safe then sorry.

I hope it is not a serious injury.

babolat41
09-30-2008, 10:31 PM
If Im reading your post correctly then cracking is NOT a good sign. The pain on the inside would be your MCL (Medial collateral ligament). Time will heal it but sometimes it requires minor surgery. You should see a doctor, and stay off it for a while...Most comon surrgery for this injury now is a scope and your out a couple weeks with good p.t. Good luck

Japanese Maple
10-01-2008, 07:42 AM
I am not sure what the cracking is from, but more than likely you have a MCL sprain and I would urge you to go see a doctor and get into rehab immediately. MCL sprains can stay with you if you don't get them treated-surgery is very rarely done and not necessary. There is no such thing as a menicus "sprain", if the menicus is involved it usually means a tear is involved. Go see a doctor, but in the mean time ice your knee and take advil-no more than 4 pills every 6-8 hours to reduce inflamation.

BillH
10-03-2008, 01:10 PM
The cracking feel and sharp pain is most likely a meniscus tear. The torn area can catch as you bend your knee and create the popping or cracking that you feel. Sometimes when people have a bad enough tear or it's in a certain location, it will catch and hinder bending the knee. Surgery is done with a scope and recovery is usually quick and easy. Go to the Ortho and get it taken care of - the instability of your knee at this point could lead to a torn ligament if not careful. I don't need to tell you that torn ligaments are much more serious.

waves2ya
10-03-2008, 07:08 PM
That... is incorrect.

Meniscus tears are by far worse; ligament easier to repair (tho' require more patience) and in any event surgical intervention by no means insures efficacy:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/11/health/research/11knee.html?sq=knee&st=cse&adxnnl=1&scp=3&adxnnlx=1223085894-+DHwDy30G+lf6nvvISL54A

If your knee is buckling or catching (or weak/inordinately painful) you've a problem; otherwise - go slow and consult professionals.

mdwilson
10-03-2008, 10:28 PM
Have you ever experienced anything similar in the past? You should absolutely consult a doctor as it could be any number of issues. There is something called patellar-femoral syndrome where the kneecap gets pulled slightly off of the normal sliding surface and sort of grinds on the bone instead of on a smoother surface. If you didn't move you knees in any out of the ordinary twisting motion there is probably not much major damage but a sports medicine doctor would be your best resource.

BillH
10-06-2008, 02:26 PM
That... is incorrect.

Meniscus tears are by far worse; ligament easier to repair (tho' require more patience) and in any event surgical intervention by no means insures efficacy:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/11/health/research/11knee.html?sq=knee&st=cse&adxnnl=1&scp=3&adxnnlx=1223085894-+DHwDy30G+lf6nvvISL54A

If your knee is buckling or catching (or weak/inordinately painful) you've a problem; otherwise - go slow and consult professionals.

Meniscus tear = scope surgery, 2-3 weeks rehab, resume play in 4-6 weeks. ACL reconstruction = more invasive surgery, hamstring or patella cut, 6 months rehab, return to play in 6 months and maybe regain full function in one year. I'll let the OP decide which is more serious.

mrgonzo
10-06-2008, 10:23 PM
Thanks for all your guy's help! Today is my 7th day off from tennis, and I have been doing exercises with my knee, icing, and taking advil for the recovery. i will be going to the orthopedist tommorow to verify what my knee injury is specifically, how long I'll be out, and what kind of physical therapy i'll have to do.

fantom
10-07-2008, 04:59 AM
Meniscus tear = scope surgery, 2-3 weeks rehab, resume play in 4-6 weeks. ACL reconstruction = more invasive surgery, hamstring or patella cut, 6 months rehab, return to play in 6 months and maybe regain full function in one year. I'll let the OP decide which is more serious.

I agree with your post. However, in the long term the meniscus issues could be worse....depending on the extent of the meniscus damage.

sphinx780
10-07-2008, 11:31 AM
Glad to hear your getting it checked out by a doctor. If it is a Meniscus tear, then continual use of the knee can cause the meniscus to buckle in your knee and lock it up leaving you with the inability to straighten your knee until you have surgery. I've locked my knee twice and neither time was a picnic...the recovery time definitely will be a result of the extent of the initial damage though.

As far as short term/long term damage from either of the major injuries mentioned, it will really depend on your personal situation and DNA as to which would be worse. I have no meniscus left in my dominant leg...long term, that's bad. But that's a worst case scenario for most if not all in regards to meniscus issues and it took 5 years of h.s. and college play before the second surgery required that.

mrgonzo
10-07-2008, 07:40 PM
I saw the orthopedist today and she thinks it is an MCL sprain in my knee. She told me that I should be able to hit the ball without movement starting today. She said that I should try to start running again on Monday. She also gave a hinged knee brace which seems to really help my knee from going in a certain position that would lead to reinjuring my MCL. Assuming I don't push it too soon, the MAXIMUM time it will take to FULLY heel would be in three weeks from today. Hopefully, it won't take that long.

Japanese Maple
10-08-2008, 06:20 AM
Mrgonza-I thought you had a MCL sprain. Do they have you scheduled for rehab with a professional therapist or are you on your own?