PDA

View Full Version : difference between K-Gut & K-Gut Pro?

Mbautista
09-29-2008, 08:03 PM
looking to buy some of this string, but need some info first.

Bad Dog
09-30-2008, 02:45 AM
looking to buy some of this string, but need some info first.

From an earlier thread on the same topic:

I have played extensively with Wilson's K-Gut and K-Gut Pro, along with Babolat VS natural gut, in my racquets – a pair of Wilson’s PS 6.0 95 (and a couple of Volkl’s C10 Pro 98).

Summary of my impressions:

K-Gut Pro: Without pre-stretching, plays extremely close to pre-stretched Babolat VS natural gut. However, to properly emulate pre-stretched natural gut, K-Gut Pro should be strung about 2 pounds lower. Possibly the sharpest, crispest string on the market, still relatively arm friendly.

K-Gut: Without pre-stretching, plays extremely close to NON-pre-stretched Babolat VS natural gut. To obtain results similar to natural gut, K-Gut should be strung about 3 (yes, three) pounds lower. Superlative ball pocketing. Very arm friendly. Very sharp and crisp similar to non-pre-stretched VS natural gut. Strung 3 pounds lower, I could tell almost no difference from Babolat VS natural gut.

My preference: K-Gut over K-Gut Pro. Why? For the same reason that I've preferred natural gut that has not been pre-stretched vigorously. [Pre-stretching tends to diminish ball pocketing qualities in natural gut as well.]

How to choose? If you are a baseliner who appreciates long power rallies that can go on forever, go for K-Gut at low/mid tension – and experience an ultimate tennis high – with the ball playing deep in the pocket. But if you prefer to serve and volley, you might prefer K-Gut Pro with marginally higher accuracy, while K-Gut has the highest comfort. Both K-Gut and K-Gut Pro are deemed “ultimate control” strings – and I found that to be absolutely true.

Why play K-Gut and K-Gut Pro, instead of Babolat VS natural gut? Major cost savings and resilience in damp conditions. I have bought all of the strings wholesale from TW, but in my area the labor cost to string natural gut is significantly higher than other strings, so I end up saving @ $25 or more by using multifilaments instead of VS. I also often play in high humidity, and sometimes when it drizzles – with K-Gut and K-Gut Pro, I have peace of mind.

superstition
09-30-2008, 03:43 AM
Ah, yes. The miracle string. Nylon now plays like beef intestines. And, it's cheap, too!

mctennis
10-06-2008, 09:03 PM
Ah, yes. The miracle string. Nylon now plays like beef intestines. And, it's cheap, too!

I'm not sure if you are kidding or being truthful. I find any synthetic string hard pressed to play like gut. IMHO. I'll read more threads about this from people that have switched from gut tothis stuff. Maybe I'll be surprised, either way.

Il Mostro
10-06-2008, 10:24 PM
I'm not sure if you are kidding or being truthful. I find any synthetic string hard pressed to play like gut. IMHO. I'll read more threads about this from people that have switched from gut tothis stuff. Maybe I'll be surprised, either way.

Whooosh! Just missed your head. ;-)