PDA

View Full Version : Most powerful Pro Supex string...

jcstennis
09-30-2008, 05:34 AM
can be a poly or a syn/nylon string...

i like Spiral Flex as a cross when hybriding, but looking at Maxim Touch (multi)... will i get more power from MT? i like using X1 biphase as a cross, but looking to budget a little...

so more power, better budget. :)

Spatula
09-30-2008, 06:03 AM
I've used both with Big Ace in the mains and I've always liked the Spiral Flex (or other Syngut's) in the crosses. Its a touch stiffer, offers more pop on contact. PLsu the cost factor is big. You can get a real of Spiral flex for 44 vs 79 I think for MT.

Also they have a limitied amount of spiral flex in 17 available right now!!!

jcstennis
09-30-2008, 09:58 AM
i have yet to try BA with SF, i have crossed X1 and Xcel Prem with BA and even with those strings it's still a touch stiff...

what PS string could cross with BA to give it more power?

PROTENNIS63
09-30-2008, 11:11 AM
Maxim Touch

jcstennis
09-30-2008, 12:38 PM
^^^ that's what i thought...

is it as soft as an X1 or NRG, etc?? i heard it plays somewhat stiff, not so crisp but stiff for that syle string...

does cross well with a poly? i was to hybrid a poly with MT, should i look for a softer poly? with this set up should i adjust the MT tension to compensate for it's stiffness?

PED
09-30-2008, 12:50 PM
J: the spiral is very crisp and powerful. I've not used the maxim touch. I used SF this winter with BA mains or BG mains at 53 pounds both ways. It's a very "quick" stringbed without the pocketing you get from titan or NRG. I don't think it plays anything at all like NRG or X1.

I like both nrg and x1 as full jobs but I never got on with them as crosses so bear that in mind.

I know both WAO and Kcraig have used MT crosses with BG mains to GREAT effect-really nice action and spin.

If you want a half set of spiral to try out, shoot me an email. I've got a half set laying around that I won't be using and would be happy to send you. It's the uglier lighter colour version as opposed to the black but it plays the same ;) I'd be surprised if you don't like it.

Bash and Crash
09-30-2008, 01:44 PM
thanks for the info, I've tried x-1 and gammapro with BA, but always end up with full BA setup, the hi-brids a little too soft, may try the other set ups.

PROTENNIS63
09-30-2008, 02:47 PM
^^^ that's what i thought...

is it as soft as an X1 or NRG, etc?? i heard it plays somewhat stiff, not so crisp but stiff for that syle string...

does cross well with a poly? i was to hybrid a poly with MT, should i look for a softer poly? with this set up should i adjust the MT tension to compensate for it's stiffness?

MT is a little stiff commpared to other multis but is also more durable. Big Ace/Maxim Touch hybrid should be fine. The durability is not the greatest but if you are not a string breaker there is nothing to worry about.

wao
09-30-2008, 03:54 PM
J: the spiral is very crisp and powerful. I've not used the maxim touch. I used SF this winter with BA mains or BG mains at 53 pounds both ways. It's a very "quick" stringbed without the pocketing you get from titan or NRG. I don't think it plays anything at all like NRG or X1.

I like both nrg and x1 as full jobs but I never got on with them as crosses so bear that in mind.

I know both WAO and Kcraig have used MT crosses with BG mains to GREAT effect-really nice action and spin.

If you want a half set of spiral to try out, shoot me an email. I've got a half set laying around that I won't be using and would be happy to send you. It's the uglier lighter colour version as opposed to the black but it plays the same ;) I'd be surprised if you don't like it. Still do the BG/MT hybrid, havn't found anything better as of yet.

J if you want a 1/2 set of MT let me know.

PED really like the molded handles on my extremes. They are now 27.75 and the stick weighs in at 12oz. I need to get it on a balance bd to see how much more HL it is even though I have lead at 12.

jcstennis
09-30-2008, 06:07 PM

If you want a half set of spiral to try out, shoot me an email. I've got a half set laying around that I won't be using and would be happy to send you. It's the uglier lighter colour version as opposed to the black but it plays the same ;) I'd be surprised if you don't like it.

i have been using Sprial Flex as crosses in my last 2 set ups.. currently my Radical has PPS m's and SF x's... they are ready to be changed, but i kind of like the way they feel, so i have been hanging in there...

btw, you are the man... i already have a few sets of SF... i appreciate the offer! :)

jcstennis
09-30-2008, 06:08 PM
MT is a little stiff commpared to other multis but is also more durable. Big Ace/Maxim Touch hybrid should be fine. The durability is not the greatest but if you are not a string breaker there is nothing to worry about.

ahhh, durable! :twisted:

thanks!

jcstennis
09-30-2008, 06:12 PM
Still do the BG/MT hybrid, havn't found anything better as of yet.

J if you want a 1/2 set of MT let me know.

PED really like the molded handles on my extremes. They are now 27.75 and the stick weighs in at 12oz. I need to get it on a balance bd to see how much more HL it is even though I have lead at 12.

i think i'm over BG :( ... after a few set ups with BG, and after having a bit of fun with it, the string just was not for me (to use daily)... but if the MT works with BG, it's got to work with other good polys! I'm going to go back to the PS thread and read up on MT and everyone's set ups!

thanks for your opinion! :)

number.432
09-30-2008, 06:19 PM
i think i'm over BG :( ... after a few set ups with BG, and after having a bit of fun with it, the string just was not for me (to use daily)... but if the MT works with BG, it's got to work with other good polys! I'm going to go back to the PS thread and read up on MT and everyone's set ups!

thanks for your opinion! :)

I missed this thread. From your sig. if you are not a stringbreaker or if you can manage to string often try full MT at fairly low tension and you will love it.

jcstennis
09-30-2008, 08:45 PM
I missed this thread. From your sig. if you are not a stringbreaker or if you can manage to string often try full MT at fairly low tension and you will love it.

not a big string breaker, but haven't used a multi fj in some time... i think i may try a MT fj first, soungs like a good idea.

how's the spin and power with the full job?

PED
10-01-2008, 09:52 AM
^^J, don't do it!!! LOL

Seriously, I've tried full multi twice in the last five months and have regretted it both times, I just like having that poly in there for the action. I had to adjust my stroke both times to adjust for the difference in spin.

wao
10-01-2008, 11:05 AM
not a big string breaker, but haven't used a multi fj in some time... i think i may try a MT fj first, soungs like a good idea.

how's the spin and power with the full job?The last time I had a full multi in my stick, poped a string in the first 3hrs. Agree with PED don't do it. But we all must give it a try. Let us know how you like it.

jcstennis
10-03-2008, 05:42 AM
we'll see.... some MT on the way... still debating to fj my set up...

i got so many half sets of poly around, i may just hybrid the MT with a poly main...

which poly could work the best (in general...power, spin, feel, comfort) with MT as the cross:

BA
PPS
SPPP (Pure White)
Head Ultra Tour
Lux ALUP
PHT
WCSS

PED
10-03-2008, 05:45 AM
I hit with some of that Head Ultra tour last week, it was pretty nice. I would go with the WCSS in there, it's stiffer and has less pop than the alu and should go well with the MT.

PROTENNIS63
10-03-2008, 07:50 AM
we'll see.... some MT on the way... still debating to fj my set up...

i got so many half sets of poly around, i may just hybrid the MT with a poly main...

which poly could work the best (in general...power, spin, feel, comfort) with MT as the cross:

BA
PPS
SPPP (Pure White)
Head Ultra Tour
Lux ALUP
PHT
WCSS

Big Ace with Maxim Touch works quite well so try that and take it from there.

PED
10-03-2008, 07:53 AM
PT63, when did you switch to the Prestige Mid? I just noticed your sig. The Mid is a sweet stick. I'm trying to stay away from the sale threads so I won't buy one ;)

PROTENNIS63
10-03-2008, 08:51 AM
PT63, when did you switch to the Prestige Mid? I just noticed your sig. The Mid is a sweet stick. I'm trying to stay away from the sale threads so I won't buy one ;)

I made the official switch around August. It is better than the Becker. The Becker just did not give enough pop especially on serves. I was looking for just a little more action on my shots. The Prestige Mid is definitely something!

Oh and mine is like like 1/4 inch longer (27.25 I think) so I have some extra reach and power.

jcstennis
10-06-2008, 05:52 AM
I made the official switch around August. It is better than the Becker. The Becker just did not give enough pop especially on serves. I was looking for just a little more action on my shots. The Prestige Mid is definitely something!

Oh and mine is like like 1/4 inch longer (27.25 I think) so I have some extra reach and power.

PT, did you try the Pres MP vs the BB11? I would love to be able to play with the mid, but being a more intermediate player, there is some apprehension trying to wield such a stick... i found the BB11 very forgiving... a MGPmid would to be more demanding, was there a bit of a transition to get used to the MGP or did it just "click".... i always thought of the BB11 as if it was the "Cadillac" of racquets, it has all the bells-n-whistles...nice ride...comfortable...a real looker...etc... the Prestige i see as a Ferarri GT:twisted:

PED.... your thoughts about the MG mid?

PED
10-06-2008, 06:01 AM
During my hits with the Mid, I was surprised at how accurate it was FOR ME. I'm right around the 4.0 mark, so it is too much stick for me but I really liked it alot. I wasn't shanking any either and I was hitting against a 5.0 when I used it and he was pushing me pretty hard. It swings really nicely with that HL balance.

I've used the FXP version before and didn't really care for that, but if I was changing sticks, I would give the MG Mid a solid look. The thing that really surprised me was the spin I could get.

I've got some Poly Power Soft in the PST and I'll give it a go tonight. Hit with it for a few minutes yesterday and it felt nice. I had to cut out my CP/CF-it hurts my elbow for some reason. ALU doesn't bother me at all but the cp/cf has bothered me all 3 different times that I've strung it up...go figure.

jcstennis
10-06-2008, 06:16 AM
During my hits with the Mid, I was surprised at how accurate it was FOR ME. I'm right around the 4.0 mark, so it is too much stick for me but I really liked it alot. I wasn't shanking any either and I was hitting against a 5.0 when I used it and he was pushing me pretty hard. It swings really nicely with that HL balance.

I've used the FXP version before and didn't really care for that, but if I was changing sticks, I would give the MG Mid a solid look. The thing that really surprised me was the spin I could get.

I've got some Poly Power Soft in the PST and I'll give it a go tonight. Hit with it for a few minutes yesterday and it felt nice. I had to cut out my CP/CF-it hurts my elbow for some reason. ALU doesn't bother me at all but the cp/cf has bothered me all 3 different times that I've strung it up...go figure.

I have really been searching for PrestigeTour 600's and Pro Tour 630's... they feel great... i hit with my friends and have been bit, now smitten with those racquets... the MG Mid i should try. i whipped out my n6.1 yesterday and couldn't belive the power and stability compared to my MG Radical MP (weighted/leaded up)... i like the Radical MP, i should try the MGRad Pro again.

The PPS, full job? i'm dying to see what you think.

i just fj'd the Rad with TCS 1.25. i have used the 1.20 before and liked it... the 1.25 has a touch more power to it... more spring... actually too much... most of my shots were heavy but always 6 inches out! moster spin, tension is key to this string... maybe a hybrid next time (and thinner gauge).:)

The Head Tour... is it stiff? Should i hybrid it with a softer multi or something like Spiral Flex?

PED
10-06-2008, 06:42 PM
I quite like the Poly Power Soft. I did it at 56/53 and the power was good and control was as well. It does not have that explosive nature of alu or BBO but then again what does ;)

I was quite impressed. I'm playing again the next 2 days and have a session for Wednesday with a big hitter so that will give me a good read on it. The PPS was really nice on touch shots as well. I did alot of work of them tonight and I could find some nice angles as well. It also volleys much better than the stiffer Lux as well.

I need to order some 1.25 BA as I've not played with it since last fall. I'd used 1.17 and 1.22 this spring and I think the 1.25 might be just what I need.

I like the Radpro but I think I would go ahead and do the Prestige instead: take your pick, mid , midplus or Prestige Pro but the mid is really on my mind. Plus, if I changed sticks, I'd have to get a new bag too :)

jcstennis
10-08-2008, 02:58 PM
^^^^ How did the hit go [with the PPS]?

oh, absolutely... must get the matching bag!!! :) I always thought my wife was crazy with bags and such, but i do the same with my tennis stuff... i should take a pic of my tennis "stuff", it all coordinates... and i really didn't plan it that way!!! ;)

PED
10-08-2008, 04:00 PM
The PPS is ok but not great for me against a guy who hits really hard and heavy. It's just that little bit too soft. I usually string my polys at 55/53 or so. I bumped up the PPS to 56/54 but it felt like it gave me too much dwell time and I couldn't get the ball off the strings quick enough.

I do realize that I'm the one swinging the stick, but I couldn't change the direction on shots that I'm usually able to against him when I use something stiffer like alu, bbo or cf. The PPS is good and I'll use it til it's dead but I won't buy more. I'm picking up my PST tomorrow with BBO at 57/54 and see how that goes. I'm still thinking about the prestige mid. I'd like to spend more time with it but don't feel like shelling out the $$ on the demo. The one local shop who has one charges throw the nose for demos. Plus, the Head bags don't look as good as the Bab bags....lol

PROTENNIS63
10-08-2008, 04:58 PM
The PPS is ok but not great for me against a guy who hits really hard and heavy. It's just that little bit too soft. I usually string my polys at 55/53 or so. I bumped up the PPS to 56/54 but it felt like it gave me too much dwell time and I couldn't get the ball off the strings quick enough.

I do realize that I'm the one swinging the stick, but I couldn't change the direction on shots that I'm usually able to against him when I use something stiffer like alu, bbo or cf. The PPS is good and I'll use it til it's dead but I won't buy more. I'm picking up my PST tomorrow with BBO at 57/54 and see how that goes. I'm still thinking about the prestige mid. I'd like to spend more time with it but don't feel like shelling out the $$ on the demo. The one local shop who has one charges throw the nose for demos. Plus, the Head bags don't look as good as the Bab bags....lol

Demo the Prestige Mid!! It is a really good racquet.