PDA

View Full Version : Question about playing in college

VbTennis
09-30-2008, 08:44 AM
This is my last year in high school and I was thinking about college tennis. I was just wondering do they give scholarships for tennis in college ? D2 or D3 ? or do you just play ? Because someone from this college is coming to my school and they have a tennis team I think D2 and I was going to ask them but I thought I would ask here first.

VbTennis
09-30-2008, 08:47 AM
Yeah I wasn't really planning to play college tennis because I want to go to this college with my cousins and they only have a girls team so I thought I would just play for fun. But then I thought about it and if I can get a some or little money it wouldn't hurt.

DOUG951
10-01-2008, 06:14 AM
D3 does not give any money based on tennis, you can still get it based on financial need or academics. D1 and D2 schools give you money if you are good enough. I play at a D3 college right now it is great. Just show up and hit balls and play matches. No pressure of having to uphold your scholarship.

srv vlly
10-02-2008, 08:00 AM
^ that is correct. d3 has no money athletic wise and it is much less competitive and has less pressure. i played d3 for a semester, but transferred to play d1 and I must say it is much more competitive here at d1.

timm
10-10-2008, 10:36 PM
how is the match play format for DI? ive seen rosters and they have many players. i was wondering how many actually get to play? how singles and how doubles match per game?

srv vlly
10-12-2008, 05:26 PM
i believe it is 5-6 singles and either 2 or 3 doubles

rabidturtle
10-12-2008, 06:58 PM
how is the match play format for DI? ive seen rosters and they have many players. i was wondering how many actually get to play? how singles and how doubles match per game?

In Div-I six people get to play.

Those 6 people each play a doubles match and a singles match

team scoring best of 7 "points"
1 x 1 point for the best of three doubles matches - Pro Set
6 x 1 point for each of the six singles matches - best of three sets, third set is a 10 point tie break

10isDad
10-12-2008, 08:59 PM
In Div-I six people get to play.

Those 6 people each play a doubles match and a singles match

Basically true, but it doesn't have to only be six people. I've been to many college matches were one or two players will play singles only while another one or two players will only play doubles. 8 separate players are the most I've ever seen play a dual, but conceivably it could be 12 players.