PDA

View Full Version : Stringing Problem

ayyhwang
09-30-2008, 05:29 PM
I'm using Tecnifibre Pro Red code 16 on the mains of a HEAD flexpoint prestige mp which is 18 x 20 and I have a little problem. I first divide the original packet into half to get half a set of the string, then i measure half of the remaining to get the string distance for each side of the racquet. the packet says 20 feet, but when i get to the end of the the mains on each side, there is barely enough string to finish. im using an electric stringer so that it has to coil the string around at least two times in order to apply the tension, and at the end its impossible to apply the tension cuz there's not enough string. does anyone else get this problem and what is your solution?

Ljubicic for number1
09-30-2008, 06:07 PM
You don't divide the set in half, you use 21feet for the mains and 19 for the x's.

jim e
09-30-2008, 06:24 PM
I'm using Tecnifibre Pro Red code 16 on the mains of a HEAD flexpoint prestige mp which is 18 x 20 and I have a little problem. I first divide the original packet into half to get half a set of the string, then i measure half of the remaining to get the string distance for each side of the racquet. the packet says 20 feet, but when i get to the end of the the mains on each side, there is barely enough string to finish. im using an electric stringer so that it has to coil the string around at least two times in order to apply the tension, and at the end its impossible to apply the tension cuz there's not enough string. does anyone else get this problem and what is your solution?

You can use a starting clamp. You thread a scrap piece of string through the openings on the starting clamp, clamp the string you wish to tension, place the scrap string to the tensioner to tension the string, and then clamp and finish. This kind of bridges the gap.
This is the easiest way,(with the starting clamp) and the way I do it , others tie a good knot to a scrap string, tension quickly, and clamp off quickly. You have to work fast with the knot so it will not come undone.Good luck.
BTW, the starting clamp technique, there is a few pictures of that on the eagnas web site under the starting clamp uses, so you can see it in use this way.

Fatkat
09-30-2008, 08:18 PM

I get another unused string and tied at the end couple of times and used that for the pull. Wrong way to do it and it could hurt your racquet if it cuts but it works for me.

Ljubicic for number1
09-30-2008, 09:50 PM
Like the other posters have said you can use a string bridge but cutting the string to the right length in the beginning is the proper answer.

ayyhwang
10-01-2008, 02:37 AM
ok thanks for the help. so 19 feet of the pro red code will be wasted after stringing once?

Ljubicic for number1
10-01-2008, 04:41 AM
ok thanks for the help. so 19 feet of the pro red code will be wasted after stringing once?

Oh so you want to string 2 x hybrids with the redcode? Sorry didn't realize that, I'm pretty sure I have strung the mains on my prestige with 20feet, otherwise use the starting or flying clamp as a jumper like talked about above.

jim e
10-01-2008, 07:05 AM

Use the 20' and use a starting clamp like I described above, it is real easy, here is a link to pictures of it being used.
http://www.keohi.com/tennis/misc/startingclamp.htm
Starting clamps are not very expensive, and you will find other uses for it.

ayyhwang
10-01-2008, 10:48 AM
sorry but i'm really cheap so the next best option would be to tie a scrap string at the end of the mains and use that to get the tension?

Daycrawler
10-01-2008, 10:59 AM
sorry but i'm really cheap so the next best option would be to tie a scrap string at the end of the mains and use that to get the tension?

Good luck with that. I tried that and it didnt work at all. I have no problem on my Ncode six-one 95 stringing mains with 20 feet and I have left over string.. What's the headsize?

LttlElvis
10-01-2008, 11:01 AM

Yes. That can work, but be sure to tie a good enough not. It will slip. BTW, I don't care how cheap you think you are, an investment in a starting clamp will save you in more ways than one, and they are less expensive than messing up a string job.

I got one from Eagnas for $16. http://www.eagnas.com/maxgen1/pp600.html

ayyhwang
10-01-2008, 11:57 AM
Good luck with that. I tried that and it didnt work at all. I have no problem on my Ncode six-one 95 stringing mains with 20 feet and I have left over string.. What's the headsize?

98 inches. so starting clamps never come with the stringing machine itself?

jim e
10-01-2008, 01:37 PM
Starting clamps are cheap, I was able to make do years ago, with my old serrano machine, as that one the tension clamp was able to be moved to the racquet frame, then tensioned.(Back in the woodie days)
With the machine that I have now, the electronic tension head is fixed, and that starting clamp has helped me through a short end of string a good # of times. If you mess up a few packs of string, it will cost you more.
The clamp also is great for doing some ATW patterns, and using a tie off knot in place of a starting knot.
Now it would be difficult to string without one(I now have 3 of them).
It is an inexpensive tool to have, I can't imagine not having one now.

Daycrawler
10-01-2008, 01:58 PM
98 inches. so starting clamps never come with the stringing machine itself?

Hardly unless they are packaged in. However, I don't see why it's not working. Are you sure it's 40 feet? I used to use the Aeropro rackets which were 98in. and they worked fine with 20 feet for mains.

ayyhwang
10-01-2008, 02:46 PM
Hardly unless they are packaged in. However, I don't see why it's not working. Are you sure it's 40 feet? I used to use the Aeropro rackets which were 98in. and they worked fine with 20 feet for mains.

Which aeropro racket did you use? because I thought all of the aeropro racquets were 100 in.

ag200boy
10-01-2008, 05:07 PM
aero storm maybe?

ayyhwang
10-01-2008, 05:17 PM
well both the aero storms and all the aero pro racquets have 16 mains which is why they can use 20 feet for the mains easily whereas my racquet, the head flexpoint prestige mp is 18x20

Daycrawler
10-01-2008, 06:41 PM
Which aeropro racket did you use? because I thought all of the aeropro racquets were 100 in.

Aeropro Control. It was 98 sq. inches. I still have two of them laying around.
Here's the link to the review
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Reviews/BAPCP/BAPCPReview.html