PDA

View Full Version : How trained are Sport Chalet's staff with racquet stringing?

tracerit
09-30-2008, 11:18 PM
Just picked up a new racquet and it needs to be strung. Sports Chalet's service is $10 if I provide my strings and they're closer to me too. I live in Orange County, Irvine/HB area if anyone knows of a reputable stringer.

Whenever I walk into a Sports Chalet, I always see the teenage employees goofing around, almost as worst as Fry's Electronics. Will they be stringing my racquet or do they have a certified stringer to do them? I'd like to bring it to a tennis club and have it strung so i'd be more comfortable.

Quikj
10-01-2008, 02:34 AM
It depends on the location. I string at the Marina Del Rey location and I'm a certified MRT. I've also been stringing rackets since I was 13, so I'm fairly qualified to string rackets. The other guy at our location that strings has been stringing rackets at this location, since the year I was born. I don't know the HB store that well, but they are one of the larger stores in the chain so I'd have to assume that they do a fairly decent job or else they wouldn't get as much business as they do.

TheRed
10-01-2008, 04:20 AM
Just picked up a new racquet and it needs to be strung. Sports Chalet's service is $10 if I provide my strings and they're closer to me too. I live in Orange County, Irvine/HB area if anyone knows of a reputable stringer.

Whenever I walk into a Sports Chalet, I always see the teenage employees goofing around, almost as worst as Fry's Electronics. Will they be stringing my racquet or do they have a certified stringer to do them? I'd like to bring it to a tennis club and have it strung so i'd be more comfortable.

i used to manage to Irvine shop and I've strung for 16 years. The other guy, Val, used to string for the greek national team (he's russian though). Request that Val string it and you'll be fine. I don't know about the other guys but Val is a better stringer than most club stringers. I wouldn't go to the HB one if you prefer a very experienced stringer. They know what they're doing but NO ONE can match Val's know how and experience.

Schills
10-01-2008, 06:17 AM
I can't speak for all locations, but the Marina Del Rey location is awesome. I can vouch for the other message about the qualifications of two of the folks at that store. In fact, it makes no sense for me to ever buy a stringer for myself with these guys minutes from my house. Highly recommended.

Quikj
10-01-2008, 03:35 PM
I can't speak for all locations, but the Marina Del Rey location is awesome. I can vouch for the other message about the qualifications of two of the folks at that store. In fact, it makes no sense for me to ever buy a stringer for myself with these guys minutes from my house. Highly recommended.

Thanks dude. Stoked on the fact that we have some awesome customers in our area. My name's Gyasi, I'm the dude with the dreads. The other dude in the dept's name is Ron (no hair to speak of whatsoever...). I had strung my own frames and my friends at the academy for five years before coming to Sport Chalet, but Ron has taught me sooooooo much. He has just seen so many different frames that his expertise and wealth of knowledge is so expansive. He can string tennis rackets to badminton rackets and EVERYTHING in between.

ODYSSEY Mk.4
10-01-2008, 07:49 PM
i work at the chalet i consider myself qualified been stringing for nearly 6 years though there are some who just dont care

phucng_10
10-01-2008, 08:11 PM
Sorry to intrude your thread, but how much are string jobs at Sports Chalet if you supply your own strings?

Quikj
10-01-2008, 09:49 PM
Sorry to intrude your thread, but how much are string jobs at Sports Chalet if you supply your own strings?

Ten Bucks...

Stannie
10-02-2008, 11:00 AM
Nice, I'm from the same OC area. I actually string at a shop in Irvine, and do personal string jobs myself at my apartment. From people that I know that have gotten a job done at SC, they told me the turnaround was pretty long. I remember it took a friend four days (because I just happen to be traveling during that week...).

Quikj
10-02-2008, 11:51 AM
Nice, I'm from the same OC area. I actually string at a shop in Irvine, and do personal string jobs myself at my apartment. From people that I know that have gotten a job done at SC, they told me the turnaround was pretty long. I remember it took a friend four days (because I just happen to be traveling during that week...).

Our turnaround time is usually 2 days.

It all depends on when you bring your racket in. If you come at the end of the day and expect to have your racket by the net morning, it's probably not going to happen. If you came to me on Friday and said that you needed your racket on Saturday b/c you had a tourney the next day, I'd probably string it either on the spot or get it to you the next morning. It also depends on how many rackets we have in the back waiting to be strung, as sometimes we take in 20+ rackets a day for consecutive days. In this instance, I think 4 days would be commendable as usually we only have two guys stringing at our location.

tennisfreak15347
10-02-2008, 11:54 AM
its really a gamble between an experienced person and one who just doesn't care. By the way, reading this read made me remember to apply for a stringing job at the mega-chain sports stores, :lol:.

TheRed
10-02-2008, 12:11 PM
its really a gamble between an experienced person and one who just doesn't care. By the way, reading this read made me remember to apply for a stringing job at the mega-chain sports stores, :lol:.

No, it's not a gamble. Find out who strings and just ask that more experienced person string your racquet. You don't think it's a gamble at a club? Your racquet could be strung by a teenager who doesn't give a crap how your racquet turns out, even though he himself knows quite a bit about racquets, strings and stringing

MomentumGT
10-02-2008, 12:31 PM
WOW! So many Chalet stringers on this forum. LOL. I used to string at store 2 in La Canada from 99-01. LOL. At the time Corporate was just upstairs and breathing down our necks the whole time. Norbert almost fired me my 1st week there. . . and yes I'm certified as well.

-Jon

Cowtown_Commissioner
10-02-2008, 02:49 PM
Depends on what Sport Chalet you go to. Up in Northern California, most of those stringers are taught by a certain GM who just because he was a good player thinks he can string properly. Triple-Pulling mains, knot over knot, and of course everyone's favorite, leaving the racquet to help a couple other customers for long periods of time.

Just ask at each or the one store you go to and ask to see their certification because there are some great stringers out there( like the ones who have responded here), but because it's a chain store, there are also some poor stringers out there as well. Btw, showing a pro pin with a tennis player on it does not mean they're certified.

southend
10-02-2008, 05:30 PM
I am not familiar with triple pulling mains or knot over knot. Please explain. Also, what are some other real NO - NO's that stringers might "accidentally" do to one's string job.

[d]ragon
10-02-2008, 07:13 PM
10 bucks is pretty cheap. yea it depends on the location. some stores will hire ppl who know how to strings and ppl who dont. just to be safe, i just go to the local pro shop

Cowtown_Commissioner
10-02-2008, 10:29 PM
I am not familiar with triple pulling mains or knot over knot. Please explain.

Triple Pulling is like double pulling but doing one more main. Pulling 3 strings= Triple Pulling.

On Two Piece stringing job, their stringer would string the mains, then instead of starting at the top, he would start at the bottom and tie the starting knot as a double half-hitch over the knot he just tied to tie off the mains.

Also, what are some other real NO - NO's that stringers might "accidentally" do to one's string job.

Are you asking me, in general or what I've seen done at a Sport Chalet?

Stringing the mains on side before even doing the other side.
Misweaving multiple crosses on a racquet.
Skipping a cross.
Putting an awl in a tie off hole to hold tension.
Stringing racquets that are designed to be two piece as a one piece.
Not cleaning clamps and just tighting the clamps ever tighter to hold string.

Those were just a few. Some were done at a Sports Chalet and others are just general no-nos that aren't done "accidentally" but done as thinking that it's the way it's supposed to be done.

tracerit
10-07-2008, 02:39 PM
Where should I get my Prince O3 White (non-speedport) strung in the Irvine area? I've read some info about how the O3's are different when you string them, I just want to make sure whoever's goign to string it knows how.

ODYSSEY Mk.4
10-07-2008, 02:50 PM
Where should I get my Prince O3 White (non-speedport) strung in the Irvine area? I've read some info about how the O3's are different when you string them, I just want to make sure whoever's goign to string it knows how.

just ask them talk to them and you'll know if there competent or not O3s are different in that a boomerang tool is needed(or sharpie) that and you need to just follow the instructions on the frame no to hard to string at all

x5150
10-07-2008, 03:14 PM
You got a picture of that knot? Is it the one where you make two loops and then pull then end through the two loops?

Triple Pulling is like double pulling but doing one more main. Pulling 3 strings= Triple Pulling.

On Two Piece stringing job, their stringer would string the mains, then instead of starting at the top, he would start at the bottom and tie the starting knot as a double half-hitch over the knot he just tied to tie off the mains.

Are you asking me, in general or what I've seen done at a Sport Chalet?

Stringing the mains on side before even doing the other side.
Misweaving multiple crosses on a racquet.
Skipping a cross.
Putting an awl in a tie off hole to hold tension.
Stringing racquets that are designed to be two piece as a one piece.
Not cleaning clamps and just tighting the clamps ever tighter to hold string.

Those were just a few. Some were done at a Sports Chalet and others are just general no-nos that aren't done "accidentally" but done as thinking that it's the way it's supposed to be done.

ricomon
03-11-2009, 10:29 AM
Wow, a lot of Sport Chalet guys are on this message board. I used to work at #3 HB from '97 til I moved out here to AZ in early '07. Before I left there, it was me, Charles and Nick doing the stringing. We were always pretty busy but not like Marina or Beverly Center. I now work at the Tempe store and because we have that window of nice weather, our string business has picked up, but come May and June it drops off dramatically. Concerning the thread, talk to the person writing up your repair. Most of the Sport Chalet stringers are very good at what they do.